Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I finally got back to making some progress on my Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordf1trucknut, Apr 24, 2010.

1. what happened to painting it pink for allison!?

motoandy likes this.
  2. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Yeah the daughter still wants me to make it a play car for her so if she is still interested in the spring I will kid proof the inside and let her paint the inside...not sure I will let her paint the exterior pink though??

It was quite funny, once I chopped it she came outside and said I made it her size and started telling my all her plans for it.

3. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

well I managed to get me radiator cut down a bit (wich is great since it saves me cash) and I trimmed down the grill shell a tad and it looks a LOT better now.. I also shimmed up the rear a tad so the frame is parallel now.

I also started messing with the floors in the rumble area.... started hacking to make things fit. So even though I am don't have it up my place I am still making some headway on it.

unfortunately I keep forgetting to take a camera with me.

4. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

YIKES it has been a year since I worked on this thing!!!!
    I am really depressed now.....

I just got out of the hospital and am bummed that I can't work on any of my stuff till I get a bit better.

getting meningitis SUCKS!!!!

5. hope you are starting to feel a little better... once you are gettin around a lil' better, get that A home and get busy!

6. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Travis,

Yeah but getting sick made me start to rethink all the time I spend working on cars for others and occasionally myself (neglecting a lot of my other hobbies..family..etc..) so I am HEAVLY considering selling this off and a few more projects to have some garage space and simplify things a bit. The wife thinks I am nuts and making a mistake, I am undecided.....I need to drink some beer with the car and see what it has to say to me.

7. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Well I decided I don't have enough energy or talent to finish this so am going to sale it.

It was fun though......

8. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Today I took my "new" A coupe for its maiden voyage with me the new owner!!! It sat for a long time before I bought it but everything seems to be going pretty smooth so far with it.

It is pretty much all stock except for 1940 hydraulic brakes installed. It came to pa from California in the 1980's. It had 1963 black california plates on it with stickers on it up to 1984.

I plan on leaving it as is for the time being since it such a nice car, but may make period upgrades later on.

Attached Files:

• 024.JPG
      024.JPG
      File size:
      1.9 MB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  9. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

WOW! That looks like a nice one---enjoy!:D

10. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Thanks Gary this is the first time I bought a decent car which is quite fun!!!!!

Everything else i have i started with crap (and in some cases still have crap) so it feels kinda odd for me, like i cheated or something.

11. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I guess I am too attached to the car to let it go for 6k or less since I did so much work to it and my health is improving. So I may end up just keeping it and finishing it.

Everyone keeps offering trades that need as much or more work to finish. So I started buying more parts for it.

Picked up this and these yesterday....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As a side note I picked up this neat 1949 lincoln welder so if i want to be real traditional I can use it from here on out to build the car lol!!!!!

It actually still works great

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Don't sell it---take your time and build it

13. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Yesterday I picked up a set of 1935 rims that I may end up using on the car

[​IMG]

Once I get some free time I plan on hauling the junker back up to my driveway and start messing with it again

14. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I picked up a new car yesterday thanks to a fellow hamb member. It is a 1923 touring car that is in great shape.

image.jpg

So my coupe project lost its storage, I hauled it back up to the driveway yesterday. I plan on tinkering with it while trying to sale it since I am completely out of space!!!

I did a bit more floor work as well as put some paint on the frame and a few other odds and ends.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

15. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Looks like I cant get rid of it.....my 5 year old daughter told me it is HERS!!! She wants to drive it and drag race in it. She even started her own modifications to it.

image.jpg image.jpg

ABONES and travj31 like this.
  16. Tobey56

Tobey56

glad to see you enjoying the 23 hated to let her go but she will have a good home. and one had to go to make room for the phaeton,

17. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

What is this "sell" thing you speak of?!.....I just build more garage space!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Ha. I have been pondering building another garage. But I would probaly just fill it up in a month and be out of room again. I have an old car traffic jam every time I take the a out for a drive!!!
    [​IMG]

I have been tinkering with the hot rod and making slow progress though. Nothing photo worthy though.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  19. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I decided to build another building to store my junk cars....hope to have it done by thanksgiving.

I have been messing with the car a bit over the past few weeks. I welded in the rain gutter under the rumble lid. And have it closing an latching now.

[​IMG]

I also worked on the hinges and have the doors opening and closing pretty well now. I also did some more grinding and adjusting to the body.

I put a new hood header in. And replaced the visor, I also temporarily tacked some canvas on to to keep some of the snow out of it.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    SicSpeed likes this.
  20. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I messed with the junker a bit this week... mounted up rear wishbones... i still gotta bolt the crossember in and get a driveshaft made, but the chasis is getting there.

IMG_20150402_223841.jpg IMG_20150402_223915.jpg

21. Coming along nicely... keep at it!

22. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

No progress on the hotrod but did get my other one out and put some miles on it..... IMG_20150428_220510.jpg

23. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Well our 6 year old really wants this a for her first car and has been showing a lot of interest in working on it.

KIMG1047.JPG KIMG1046.JPG KIMG1006.JPG KIMG1009.JPG KIMG1010.JPG KIMG1015.JPG KIMG1018.JPG KIMG1021.JPG KIMG1026.JPG KIMG1031.JPG KIMG1034.JPG We got the driveshaft done and installed, the crossmembers all bolted in place, some shock mounts started, clutch linkage installed and we started on the brakes.

kevinwalshe, SicSpeed and Hotrodmyk like this.
  24. Awesome... maybe she can give Rob a hand on his PU!

25. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Looks like she is doing all the work----U better keep it for her!

26. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Yeah she is getting into cars pretty big.

27. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Giver her that as a first car and you'll have a big problem keeping the H/S boys away from your house
    Although she will deserve that A after all the work.

28. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

This is killing me , she'll know every part on that A and where it came from

29. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I got sick of looking at my ugly radius arm mounts so i cut them off and cleaned up the frame. I took the radius off and am going to extend them so i can mount them to the center crossmember. KIMG1059.JPG KIMG1057.JPG KIMG1058.JPG

30. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Extended the rods and made a mount today. I think it looks a lot better KIMG1096.JPG KIMG1098.JPG KIMG1100.JPG KIMG1097.JPG