Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest BEWARE OF RYAN CROSS: Hamb member rip off

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Sep 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Len

Len

Hello All, Iam Len the buyer of the model A fenders. Please do not get on Chris for he is a good friend. These fenders arrived at fastenel damaged and I refused the shipment. The fastenel rep was standing there when we opened the two large boxes with holes in them. Ryan first requested pictures which I ended sending him. Than he requested the fenders be returned. They were still at fastenel, being refused and never signing or accepting them fastenel returned them. Now he has my money and the fenders. I got a lawyer (former Judge) and sent a letter to him and no reply. We are getting a lawyer in his town and will be adding all cost to the original purchase. Again, I never had these fenders in my possession. Iam stating this so all be ware. Thanks again Chris.

loudbang, pat59, 1956 F100 and 2 others like this.
  2. 35 Dodge Hot Rod

35 Dodge Hot Rod
    from Mecca

3. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

4. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

No bottom line is if you ship something especially if you have insurance on it, and a customer claims damage, you resend product to customer same day, and the shipper works with the freight company on the claim. Has nothing to do with end user.

loudbang likes this.
  5. I think when you are dealing with a guy who is acting like a dirtbag, whether he is one or not, maybe returning the parts isn't the best idea. I would rather have some damaged fenders than nothing, not to mention the cost of returning them. Lousy deal I know, but something is better than nothing.

Model T1 likes this.
  6. Roadsir

Roadsir

A couple years ago I sold a 34 seat frame. I really wanted to sell it locally but, a buyer really wanted it so I shipped it (insured) through fastenal logistics. Between Minnesota and Mississipi they lost the pallet. (somewhere in Indianapolis). The buyer was more patient than I was, he wanted to wait to see if it would be found. I sent his money back, and collected from Fastenal...I should have insured it for a little more to cover the hassle factor, but in the end I was glad I insured it.

I posted a warning about Fastenal Logistics....Great company but I think they should concentrate on making money on their core business, and not try to make money on every aspect of their business.

If Ryan accepted a payment from Len for parts plus shipping, Ryan needs suck it up and pay Len, and try to collect from Fastenal. I actually found Fastenal pleasant to deal with. The Manager I talked with in Winona had a check cut and too me within days. I would think if Ryan took the time to deal with Fastenal he might easily negotiate a settlement or partial settlement.

1927graham likes this.
  7. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

Methinks Mr. Cross has already spent the money and is trying to weasel out of this. Its pretty disgraceful that a man would rip off a disabled, elderly guy and sully his reputation for $700.00 and a set of old fenders........shameful.

8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Len, did you discuss a claim for damage with the Fastenal rep at the above time prior to sending the fenders back to the seller?
    If the below quote of Fastenal policy is accurate, the rep should have shared this with you at the time of inspection/refusal of shipment so you knew there was no claim on the damage. At that point you may as well take the damaged fenders home.
    Did you send the fenders back on the assumption (by seller) that he could collect a claim (and when he found there was no claim route he kept both the fenders and $)?
    Or did you (and the seller) know there was no right to a damage claim and the return shipment for refund was a Gentleman's agreement that he out and out balked on?

As it stands, he needs to send you the fenders or $. He can't have his cake and eat it too.

Fastenal will only pay damage claims for shipments that are fully enclosed inside a wooden crate. Fastenal will ship uncrated items with no insurance.

9. i have been burned by a hamb member also and it sucks, this asshole took the money and wouldn't ship part. when it finally arrived it was a rusted out piece of shit door! i think his name was speedracer2002 wathena kanas! have pictures of the shit door he sold me so beware!

10. yruhot

yruhot

11. yruhot

yruhot

Cheater Bob/Cheater car club, seems to be a theme here. I got screwed by a fellow hamber her also a couple of years ago. Guy did nothing but cash my check. That sucks, Sorry for your friends loss. I've also gotten some good parts etc from some posts here also, its just the bad ones you really remember. Dickheads, and you know who you are.

12. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

I have dealt with Chris on some of my left over roadster parts - up front, honest & smooth transaction. Trustworthy HAMBr.

13. So what is the takeaway from this thread ?

If you buy parts over a distance - if you are having them shipped thru a logistics network involving transfer - it is your responsibility to make sure the parts are packaged in a manner to withstand transfer.

People do not generally want to pay the cost of crating sheet metal - this is what happens.

Unless there is a paper trail from the Buyer to the Seller where the Buyer specified crating prior to shipping - then paid for it along with insurance - the Seller is not responsible.

Jim

GreenMonster48 likes this.
  14. models916

models916

They receiving end of this deal is the one that paid for the insurance. It is his responsibility to file a claim if the package was damaged in shipment. If I sell a part and wrap it and ship it with insurance, and the shipper accepts the package, the receiving end is the one that has been damaged and should file. Whether you accept the delivery or not, it's out of the hands of the seller as far as insurance is concerned. The Insurance purchased is for delivery in un-damaged condition. Nothing to do with the shipper. A lot of big companies are self insured with shippers like FedX and Summit and Jegs or even Home Depot. They get a reduced rate and assume the liability. Not so with a private party. File the claim and get your money. If they accepted the package for delivery, the assumption is that it was packaged properly.

trulyvintage and GreenMonster48 like this.
  15. alchemy

alchemy

I recently sold a very expensive '32 hood via the HAMB classifieds, and the buyer did NOT want to pay for insurance. It would have cost about $100 more to fully insure this for its purchase price.

I spent about three hours boxing up the hood (two separate boxes) with foam cushions, plastic panels, and double walling the cardboard. I sweated bullets all the time it was in transit, even though it was the buyer who took the responsibility for any damage losses. But, he did PM me saying it arrived in fine condition. Not sure I'd ever go through that again (insurance REQUIRED next time).

pitman likes this.
  16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Alchemy
    I'm sure you've heard the reply "STEP UP OR STEP BACK".
    Anymore that seems to be the only thing that gets people to look at the deal from your (seller)s perspective. At swap meets; I've had to use that line a time or two, even though it's kind of cliche.
    Without being a dick about things, you can still look out for your own best interests.
    Unless you're asking stupid $ you generally know you can get what you gotta have out of a Henry deuce hood, especially if it's a 25 louver hood.
    But you already knew that.

17. This makes ZERO sense to me. If I am buying parts long distance, I am not there ~ how can I possibly be responsible for the packaging? The seller says he will package and ship - He has taken the responsibility to do this and has the obligation to do so in a reasonable manner to make sure they will arrive safely. If Fastenal only insures a package that is crated, the seller would have known this when he went to ship it and was refused the insurance even though the buyer apparently requested it. This is 100% on the Seller if the facts explained are correct.

Roadsir and lurker mick like this.
  18. Budget36

Budget36

I had a hood shipped a few years back via DHL and it came in damaged, I'd paid the seller for insurance (which he did).
    I tried to file the claim, but they told me it was the person who paid for the shipping responsibility, he filed the claim and sent me my money back.

19. Im with the poster above...

Fault on all parties including Fastenal
    Due diligence..
    How would fastenal insure something that they dont cover?

Why did it get shipped through fastenal anyhow? Thats the crux of the matter.
    That person gets the money percentage fault.

The buyer needs either nice fenders or money back.

The seller needs either money or nice fenders.

If your selling really nice fenders. Pack them up as such and insist on a great shipper.
    I've been in this situation and the shipping company Fedex fixed it. Sorry it cannot be done in this case.
    But Fastenal should have said. The package is not crated, if there is damage insurance will not cover the damage.

On the buyers side.
    No matter why Fastenal was picked, shipping rule should also been known.

Getting help from a lawyer over 700.00 will cast you 1000.00. Go to small claims court. If there is a way to file a complaint through the city ? Maybe?

These are just point of view.
    I have shipped many,many parts all shapes and sizes. Seem only a few parts destroyed and recieved a few mangled.
    Were pics posted of the bent of fenders?

I think seems it where the reslove for the situation is not a full refund, and the seller doesnt keep the parts. Im sure it happened exactly like this on the hamb before. Everything been done here already.

Use the search function.

20. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

My guess is... It was stated the buyer paid for insurance , someone also posted a rule saying fastenal doesn't insure stuff not in wood crates ...

Seller got paid for insurance, put in boxes , brought to fastenal to ship, they told him they wouldn't insure them just packaged in boxes... He decided to ship anyway and cross his fingers , fenders got damaged he spent the money... Nobody wants the damaged fenders

Buyer feels he paid for insurance seller feels he couldn't insure but did his job, and its fastenal s fault for damaging them

Seller needed to contact buyer and say he couldn't insure them ...and he needed to decide... It sounds like seller made the decision .... So the blame now falls back on his shoulders

I think when seller gambled and lost on shipping without insurance is when he became the douche and doesn't feel responsible...

Classic " not my problem" douche bag move

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hey fellas... the HAMB is neither a judge or a jury.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.