Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do they still make 17.5 tires?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Hello.
    Do they still make 17.5" tires?Bias plys pref.
    If they do,I will pull the trigger on a set of 4 ford steel wheels for my COE.
    I did a google search but couldn't get much info.
    thanks.

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Sure for HD apps like lowboy semi trailers 12 ply and up. Pretty much radial only.

3. stimpy

stimpy

any tire thats a half size is a commercial tire , since your not hauling any weight to speak of the cokers probably be the best bet , call them and see what the weight rating is on them as they might not be up to snuff as the true 17.5 are unless your truck is real light . otherwise most 17.5 are radials and super stiff sidewalls as we use them for class 6,7 and 8 trucks , and lowboys or drop decks for heavy haul .

4. Ive got 8 X 17.5 Goodyears on my '29 AA (off of a '60 F-350 tow truck). Yes, stiff-wall radials, and the rubber compound sure isn't soft.

5. Thanks,where did u buy them and will they go on a 17.5 wheel that is a NON SPLIT rims.

6. Any truck tire place should have them or be able to get them. The last set I got for my C30 had to be ordered.

Bob

7. NOPSI

NOPSI

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  8. BobMcD

BobMcD

I didn't know that 17.5'' tires existed until now. Learned something new today on the HAMB.

9. NOPSI

NOPSI

The specs on my truck are:
    '67 Chevy C20 Fleetside
    Shipping weight - 3848 lbs.
    GVW - 5500-7500 lbs.

As for handling, I guess like typical stiff sidewall bias plys.
    In the last few years, the price on these tires has more than doubled, and I was sick of the rough ride on the horrible streets of New Orleans so I ditched the wheels and bought aftermarket 16" aluminum rims and went with easily obtainable and softer riding auto rather than truck radials.
    Hope this helps and good luck on your quest!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  10. NOPSI

NOPSI

Here a copy and paste from Universal Tire website

8-17.5 STA Super Transport

Original Fitment Size for Late 50's GMC 3/4 and 1-ton Trucks
    Highway or Steering Type Tread

Made in USA

Details/Options

<table class="data-table" id="product-attribute-specs-table"><colgroup><col width="25%"> <col> </colgroup><tbody> <tr class="first odd"> <th class="label">SKU</th> <td class="data last">U609027</td> </tr> <tr class="even"> <th class="label">Construction</th> <td class="data last">Tubeless 8 Ply Nylon</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <th class="label">Load Capacity</th> <td class="data last">Load Range D
    Single: 2,455 lbs. @ 60 psi
    Dual: 2,155 lbs. @ 60 psi</td> </tr> <tr class="even"> <th class="label">Overall Diameter</th> <td class="data last">31.40"</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <th class="label">Tread Width</th> <td class="data last">6.00"</td> </tr> <tr class="last even"> <th class="label">Suggested Rim Width</th> <td class="data last">6-7.0"</td></tr></tbody></table>

11. Hey man thanks for this info...

12. NOPSI

NOPSI

Several years ago I also ran 17.5's made by Denman Tire. They were similar to the tire in my previous post. I heard they may be out of business now. Maybe check some RV forums, they may have info on currently produced 17.5s.

You are welcome! Happy to pass along the info.

13. RatPin

RatPin

14. czuch az

czuch az

I too needed 16.5 for a Ford 3/4 application. I labored over Firestones for $160.00, that they had to order, or 16" rims and te ease of finding them anywhere..
    I went with 16" rims and easier, everywhere tires.
    The loss of height is minimal and the gas consumption isnt worth knowing anyway.

15. The 17.5" tire was designed to replace the 16" tube type light truck tire. As other sizes evolved, the 17.5 was pretty much relegated for trailer use in bias, but the 8R17.5 was used as a replacement light truck tire. The 17.5 was phased out at as an OEM line item and replaced by low profile 19.5 radials.