Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Quick question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Crystal Burnett, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Crystal Burnett

Crystal Burnett

Is this the right section to ask questions about our 1946 Chevrolet Stylemaster ?

2. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Fire away - make sure the thread title is descriptive enough to attract the right people to answer you questions...and welcome to the HAMB

3. Yes it is.. HRP

4. czuch az

czuch az

Ya got attention,,,,,,,,,,,whats the question?

5. Crystal Burnett

Crystal Burnett

Thanks everyone. My husband and I purchased a 1946 Chevrolet Stylemaster a couple years ago. We finally got the breaks done and got it running. He drove it up and down our street a couple of times and the radiator blew a hole in the bottom (not surprised, it sat for 40 + years) the question is, does anyone know a good place to repair or replace it?

6. We could help point you in the right direction if you had filled in your profile,do you live in the states or another country?

There are radiator shops around the country,most likely in the town you live in that can repair radiator leaks,worse case scenario they can re-core your tanks if that's the problem. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. You also can go on ebay and find a aluminum one for a little over 150.00 bucks. I have a 47 chevy Fleetline so you can say I've been looking around.

8. Crystal Burnett

Crystal Burnett

My apologies, I'm new to here and haven't figured out all the details yet. I live in antioch california. @leadfootloon, do the aluminum ones hold up good?

9. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are an excellent product and will bolt right up....best wishes on your style line

10. Fogger

Fogger

I personally would have the original radiator repaired. If the top and bottom tanks are solid the core can be rodded out and any pin holes can be soldered. Be sure and use a 7# or lighter rated cap because a 15# can blow out the heater core and solder joints. You should be able to find a radiator repair shop near you and if not call the local hot rod shops for a recommendation. I like the original equipment because it can be repaired at a traditional shop. Aluminum has to be tig welded and generally radiator shops don't have that equipment.

11. Crystal Burnett

Crystal Burnett

Thank you choptop40. I will look into them ☺

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Look in the yellow pages for radiator shops, if there are any left in your area call them and price a recored rad.

Then decide if you want an original looking (recored) rad under the hood, or you want the modern (aluminum rad) look.

13. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

You could always ask your local auto parts store for a good reference for a radiator shop or even a local mechanic. Not a pepboys or autozone kind of place but a good parts store

timwhit likes this.
  14. Crystal Burnett

Crystal Burnett

Fogger, I think the bottom tank is where it blew a large hole. It had a small pinhole in the core that we found right before we started it up and ran it for about 3 minutes before it poured the water out of the radiator. We put in a temperature gage to see how hot it was getting, ran it for about 3 minutes and it dumped all the water out.

15. Look up Chevs of the 40s on the inter web.
    They have all the other stuff you may need.

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

17. Crystal Burnett

Crystal Burnett

Thanks Don, it's closed down. I just tried to look it up and get directions, the GPS on my phone said there's no such address. Thank you all for your suggestions, at least now I know how and where to look. So glad a neighbor told me about this group. It's been a great experience so far and I look forward to learning from all of you.

18. Do you have any pics of your 46'
    We love pic's.

19. Crystal Burnett

Crystal Burnett

I do but I don't know how to post them, can you tell me how from my phone?

20. I'm not real good at it, I upload to photobucket from my phone and then copy to URL when posting. That probably didn't make any sense.

21. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I looked it up on Google maps and was surprised with the street view. a 57 chevy, 60 chevy, 67 Impala, 68 El Camino and what looks like a 46-47 chevy ! I would call or go by at the very least and see if they can help or direct you. good luck with your project.

22. Crystal Burnett

Crystal Burnett

I'll drive by and look when I pick my son up from school today. Thanks treb11, we need all the luck we can get

23. Crystal Burnett

Crystal Burnett

Just want to say a huge thank you to all of you for taking the time to help a newbie. We have found a place that will redo the one we have. I will try CaptainTayTay's advice on how to post pictures so you can all see our project car so far.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. Crystal Burnett

Crystal Burnett

25. Crystal Burnett

Crystal Burnett

26. Crystal Burnett

Crystal Burnett

27. czuch az

czuch az

That looks cool.
    I'm glad you found a solution for your leaking solution.

28. Crystal Burnett

Crystal Burnett

Thanks, so are we.

29. Good luck and thanks for posting the pics. Enjoy your HAMBtime and your Chevy. Just remember.........We're always here for you.:D...............................Don.

30. Crystal Burnett

Crystal Burnett

Thank you Don. I'm so happy my neighbor told me about this group. I no longer feel so alone in my hopes of restoring our 46. And with great people like yourself, I know I'm going to get the best help/advise/support there is. ☺