Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage A really stupid trip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Sep 9, 2015.

1. squirrel

squirrel

We're running a bit slower than the car is capable of, just to go easy on it. My car will run 10.0 if I push it, the next fastest will only do 10.8 or thereabouts. The car that was faster than me dropped out. so I'm in first right now. still two more races and one long drive to go, anything can happen. then I still have to drive home.

edit: this is the normal thing we see in the morning....the torture chamber, waiting for us to climb in and have some more "fun"

chariot.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  2. Thaplumbr

Thaplumbr

This has really been a lot of fun following this thread, wishing you and your son nothing but the best and safe travels!!!!! Give em hell!!!!

3. doinbad

doinbad
    from celina tn

Man this is great !!!!!

4. Day 4:

Truth be told, I've been stuck in the house for three days (head cold + Marlboros = bronchitis) but I'm feeling better and may not be around to get the racing shots this morning.

Good luck squirrel!

5. pitman

pitman

Forbes Parboiler.jpg
    Of course there was the famed "Par-boiler!" Good luck Jim.
    (from the same 'Skunkworks')

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    squirrel likes this.
  6. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Laid up today had gallbladder surgery yesterday & your "torture chamber" comment made my day ..... & my bruised tummy hurt really bad from laughing. Like "Lil Toot" says .... I think I can, I think I can..... We know you can ! Be safe your over the hump now. Flux

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Do other entries have support crews, trailers full of tools and parts etc.?

8. pumpman

pumpman

Damn Squirrel, I can only imagine the ware and tear on all of you. Car included, stay strong and give em hell!!!!!!!

9. You are number one Jim, no matter what ! Get em.

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Live feed is working for me. Watching that Monte run down the Camaro made me giggle like a school girl...
    I didn't really get how this deal works, you really want to be in the lanes first thing. At the end of the week, all your averages will be in better air, you get your one hit in, and get outta dodge, more time to deal with any issues and get on to the next town.

loudbang likes this.
  11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That big 3/4 ton chevy pu was really marching on the top end, he reeled that mustang right in:D. Fun stuff!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  12. The other link wasn't working, try this:

13. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

At least when you do something stupid it involves some fun.
    When I do something stupid it usually costs me money and it usually involves liberal amounts of pain and suffering :)

OahuEli likes this.
  14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Jim, what happens if they get a session in and it rains the rest of the day? Does that screw up your average if you missed the first session, or give an advantage to the guys who get a hit in before the rainout?

15. There have been lotsa' problems with the live feed today- haven't seen squirrel run yet....
    Feed is down as of now.
    The staging lanes close at 2PM.
    Did you get to make a hit and I missed it 'cuz the feed was down?

16. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I was wondering the same thing. The feed has been really choppy, and I'm sure it's missed plenty of runs. I did see on the results list he is still in first with a sealed hood! Keep going Jim!

17. MikeC62

MikeC62
    from Missouri

Squirrel you have caused one more thing to be added to my bucket list. I will warn you now that I will be asking a lot of questions when you get done. Good luck.

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Its all good, got an answer.

19. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

It looks like Jim ran this morning around 9:13 and ran a 10.448. It said that was his fastest pass yet.

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Do all classes run a full tree?

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I still cant figure out how to rewind the live feed, still haven't seen Jim make a pass.

22. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I don't think his pass was on today. There was a chunk of time that was missed while they were having problems. I think he ran during that.

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thanks, man, I started watching it, before I knew what was happening2 hrs were gone!

24. I couldn't find it either- looked for Drag Week Day 4 results but they haven't been posted yet.
    Hopefully squirrel will check in.

25. hot rod drag week 9-17-15 065.jpg hot rod drag week 9-17-15 081.jpg hot rod drag week 9-17-15 067.jpg hot rod drag week 9-17-15 126.jpg hot rod drag week 9-17-15 073.jpg hot rod drag week 9-17-15 107.jpg ...got to talk with Jim early this AM at Cordova,..he seemed to be doin ok, but I'm sure the week is wearin em all down a bit,...these guys pull in and really hustle to get their runs in. They started runnin at 8AM and were pretty well done by 12:30,...just a few minutes before the rains came, rained pretty hard on way home a few times...

loudbang, Model T1 and Johnboy34 like this.
  26. pitman

pitman

Great pics Rusty! Merci!

27. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks for all the coverage, guys

28. squirrel

squirrel

we made it to the hotel again near St Louis, around 5:30 or so. Car ran fine today, made a pass 10.44 and I should still be in first place in class. Tomorrow racing starts around 2:30 afternoon, it's a late day so we get time to recover in the morning since we don't to drive anywhere in the afternoon, also that lets more spectators show up to watch.

My odometer broke about 40 miles out of town. I wonder if anyone has a spare 1960s GM speedo they could bring me? I'd like to get it working for the trip home.

Time to relax for a little bit. It was warm on the drive today. We left at 11, and got a few sprinkles, but other guys who left later got drenched.

If anyone didn't get a chance to run because of rain, then they call it a rain out, and no one's runs for the day are counted. They just pretend the whole day never happened

ratrodrodder, AHotRod and saltflats like this.
  29. swifty

swifty

Thanks for the pics rusty, I gather they are some of the Gas Class cars.

30. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I was thinking when you guys get home , the last thing you are going to want to touch or see is that car!...

I drove a stripped down chopped channeled 32 truck 8,000 miles one summer ... I didnt look at it for 2 months when I got home! Love /hate right there..

norms30a likes this.