Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I'm looking for a dragster in New Zealand. Can any kiwis help? (Update)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dragey, Sep 17, 2015.

1. dragey

dragey
    from Brisbane

Hi guys or ladies as it may be,

I was hoping someone could help me out in looking for a Dragster my grandfather Peter Saunders built in the mid to late 60's.

The story from grandad can be a little sketchy as he hasn't been well lately and it's been 45 years since he saw the car.

So the little dragster was called "kimba" (my mum named it after her favourite TV show.)
    It was built by Peter and Robin Saunders (twins) and a guy named Jack Oakley In Wellington. It originally had the blown flathead out of Collin "shady" Lanes hotrod but later went to a slant 6 then a lotus Cortina. It ran at tracks around the North Island including Meremere.

It was apparently on show at the Wellington hotrod show and it was featured in New Zealand Hotrod magazine. It was last seen around Auckland apparently and maybe someone owns it still up around there.

I don't know exactly what I'm hoping to find out. Anything really. I have one picture that I will upload tonight so anymore would be killer. Thanks in advance.

Ben.

I would like to thank Aaron from one percent magazine for getting the ball rolling for me. As I live in Australia and I don't know anyone in the Nostalgia racing scene over there he has been a great help to me in my quest.

kiwijeff and Cooon like this.
  2. Gofannon

Gofannon

Would that be the Saunders and Lucas dragster? Shown on the left in this pic, Bob Rossiter on right. It's a bit before my era, but that car was still around in the late 80's. I'm sure it still exists.

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  3. dragey

dragey
    from Brisbane

No sorry the name Saunders is very common. Grandad knew those guys but they were in a bigger league. Thanks anyway it's a great shot. Do you know where it was taken?

4. Gofannon

Gofannon

5. dragey

dragey
    from Brisbane

Thanks mate

6. dragey

dragey
    from Brisbane

Just wondering if anyone might have an issue of New Zealand Hotrod magazine that might have pictures from the Wellington hotrod show between 67 & 70? Apparently the dragster may have been featured?

7. dragey

dragey
    from Brisbane

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443680695.179148.jpg

This is the only photo left in the family.
    This was taken around '67-68 and it was shortly after this the engine was swapped out for a slant motor. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Ben.

kiwijeff likes this.
  8. Hope you find it. I was in wellington at that time and I do remember it and I knew Colin in later years. I will ask around and see if I can find something. JW

9. dragey

dragey
    from Brisbane

Thanks mate I appreciate any help you can give me. It's great to know people are out there getting the word out.

10. dragey

dragey
    from Brisbane

Credit goes to Kiwi Kev for these pictures. Found in an issue of NZ Hotrod magazine. I'm hoping to find more like it and maybe even some track records. Or if anybody recognises the car and maybe knows if it still exists. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443788128.859514.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443788155.775761.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443788183.443298.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443788212.843535.jpg

Very happy to get another image out there to help with the search. If anybody has a copy of this issue and they might be willing to part with it, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks again Kiwi Kev, it's another piece to the pice puzzle.

kiwijeff likes this.
  11. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

12. SimonSez

SimonSez

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  13. dragey

dragey
    from Brisbane

Thank you guys. I will definitely look into it.

14. dragey

dragey
    from Brisbane

Alright I’m just updating this to see if anyone has anymore and I have some things I’ve found out to add.

The dragster was driven by a guy Named Dunlop. (Grandad can’t remember his first name) it originally ran a Slant six and then a blown Flathead then a lotus cortina motor. The lotus cortina powered version held a record somewhere in the 11.0s.

It ran at Kopuku a couple of times on a coal mining road. The Mere Mere track had not been built before they sold the car.
    Any help is very much appreciated.

IMG_5115.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff likes this.
  15. Bump for history...

16. Did it run at Kerr’s Rd in Wiri at all - pre Meremere

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. dragey

dragey
    from Brisbane

Sorry of my late reply I’ve been out of range. Grandad said that he worked at a coal mine near Meremere. They just raced on the mines road. That was before the Meremere track was built. There is some footage on YouTube of racing there. The story goes that you had to be hard on the brakes just past the finish because there was bugger braking area before you hit a swamp. Apparently they fished a few each meet out of the swamp.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Greg Stokes likes this.