Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Big ford 9'' axle leaks

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by heinz51, Sep 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. heinz51

heinz51

Got a big ford 9'' in my hot rod, and can't get the right [passenger] side axle to seal up. Replaced the bearing, race, and stock seal twice. Silicon on the flange, no silicon it doesn't matter. Checked the flange for square, gouges, scratches, none.
    Scratchin my head till my hairs gone.
    ANY help?

2. I had to Speedi-sleeve mine.... Make sure the vent is also clear.

heinz51 likes this.
  3. heinz51

heinz51

I the vent was clogged won't both sides leak? New/recon currie unit

lewk likes this.
  4. fordor41

fordor41

If no damage to seal surface of the axle, does the seal actually fit the seal area. If so be careful installing the axle. Sliding the axle over the seal can damage the seal. I thread a length of pipe onto a wheel stud to help guide the axle into to housing and clear the seal.

heinz51 likes this.

5. Two shabby

Two shabby

I put aftermarket hardened axle shafts in a rear once and the diameter of the new axles was smaller at the area the seal was located.

heinz51 likes this.
  6. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I am assuming that you did lube the seal so that the axle slids in easier (thus helping to keep from nicking the seal)
    Is this a problem that just occured or every since you had the 9" rear? I am not sure if anothe seal from NAPA VS. a generic (chinese) seal is an answer but you could have gotten 2 bad seals though unlikely. as fordor41 said it would be beneficial if you could guide the axle in as he suggested. I wouls also make sure the seal is square in the axle housing
    good luck.

heinz51 likes this.
  7. aaggie

aaggie

Do you have the type of bearing that is sealed with an "O" ring around the outside of the bearing that seals to the inside of the axle housing? If so you may have left out the ring or cut it when you pushed the bearing into the housing.

heinz51 likes this.
  8. If the vent is clogged, once the pressure finds a way out, the vent is happy. All it takes is one seal. But maybe odd that the same side is blowing out.

heinz51 likes this.
  9. oj

oj

Like 'aaggie' said. There is a ;sealed' bearing for the big Ford, you don't need the seal inside the tube. The bearing has an 'O' ring outside and the face is sealed, not conical bearing w/race. Get them from Moser, Strange etc.

heinz51 likes this.
  10. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Roller bearing or ball bearing , ball bearing seal in the hosing , roller beating seal on the axle before the bearing installed

heinz51 likes this.
  11. heinz51

heinz51

O.K. guys here it is, after calling a dozen car guys, 6 axle, rearend, carrier rebuilders, and lowlifes, I've finally got a fix that worked. After welding on airbag mounts, 4 link mounts, and shock mounts (cutting and rewilding several along the way) the Axel tube had warped at the axle flange and moved by .009, thereby not allowing the outside o-ring to seal. Whodathunkit. The owner of this shop figgered it out and said after any welding on an axle, it should be jigged. I've probably welded on 5 with no problems.
    Thanks for all the help, ideas, and possible fixes.