Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods anyone remember electrolux paint jobs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boo, Sep 5, 2015.

1. czuch az

czuch az

That ball was there by magic.
    The airflow was just enough to elevate the ball and the blow around was just enough to hold it in place. You can do the same thing with a blower nozzle on your compressor and a handball. Not alot of pressure.
    Practise, then amaze the kids.

Model T1 likes this.
  2. I don't remember the beach ball thing, and have never tried the air nozzle and hand ball thing but I did know a girl once that could suck a golf ball through a garden hose. :D

3. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

why not just hook up the hose to your car's exhaust then use the throttle to control the paint volume?...;)

Paint Guru likes this.
  4. czuch az

czuch az

Dosent matter how fat or ugly, thats marrien material right there.

'28phonebooth, Model T1 and loudbang like this.
  5. Model T1

Model T1

Not much demand for that here in the boonies.;)

6. ...the chrome off a trailer hitch. :p

7. Yea brings new meaning (or old) to Pimp My Ride. :D

8. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

Wow does this bring back memories. I remember my uncle painting the fender skirts for his 62 Mercury Comet with the glass jar sprayer on my grandmothers Airway vac. Decades later that sprayer was still sitting on a shelf in the basement with the blue paint residue in the jar.

9. Just last week I bought a Rainbow vacuum cleaner attachment at a thrift store for $2. its in new cond. never been used. My 55 wagon needs the black primer renewed. Ill have to try it out!

10. When you're done can I borrow it to paint my bike? :D

Funny the things that seem odd to some of use seem like family history to others.

here is one that is a little OT but just something I remember from my childhood. My granddad lived in a little coastal town in Nor Cal and his neighbor family had a model A sedan that they drove. The top material was shot and being the kind old soul that he was he decided to help them out. He had a bolt of linen and some spar varnish. he peeled the old material off the sedan and replaced it with the linen then tinted the varnish and paint it over the linen with a brush. Several coats over a period of about a week, they drove it between coats. he said if it worked on airplanes it should work on a Ford.

Anyway a rabbit trail but I remembered that when I was asking @Old wolf for the loan of his painter.

czuch az likes this.
  11. Finally got around to posting a picture of my NOS rainbow sprayer. vaccum cleaner sprayer 001.JPG

Ragged Edge, loudbang and Model T1 like this.
  12. I'm pretty sure the guy that just painted my truck used one of these or the black flag sprayer. 20151130_141946.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  13. wsdad

wsdad

Even cheaper than a vacuum cleaner painter.

14. I have to say the Romanian car looked better when he was done.
    He should have taped up the molding though.......

15. southerncad

southerncad

Have a friend that painted his '51 Cad with one of those Vac sprayers years ago, and now it looks like an alligator!

loudbang likes this.
  16. chris' 38

chris' 38

Just bought this for a quarter at a yard sale. No name on it, is it Electrolux?

Attached Files:

17. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

this has reminded me of my other vac story. in 1962 i got married and had to leave my mothers vac spray gun, we moved into the country in a 8x28 trailer in the midle of a cow pasture [no trees] one day a vacuum cleaner sailsman called to sell us a vac cleaner, i thought this is my chance to get a spraygun and make my wife happy, i said to come one out. he came out SUNSET TRAIL the dirt road to our mail box and turned in , stoped, then drove across the pasture to our trailer, he asked where BOO's house was? i said ''your here"" his eyes roled back as he looked at this1940"s trailer sitting on a manmade hill in this pasture, the hill was so we could flush the toilet when it rained a lot, had to use a boat a few times to get to the road. he reluctantly came in and saw there probly wasn"t 100sq foot of 12+- year old carpet in all, he proceded to clean a 3ft x3ft spot in the middle of the live room, then started his sales spiel, well the vac was more than we paid for the pasture and trailer, he packed and took off, we had this one clean spot on the floor till 1964 when we went big time and bought a 10x54 trailer that some people left after a hurricane, had to enlarge the hill for our new bungalo.....

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

^^^ Wow a hillbilly with his own hill ^^^ :D

loudbang likes this.
  19. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

I too have my Mom's Electrolux with all of the attachments, including the sprayer. She never used it for anything but vacuuming, the accessories are all pretty much un-touched. We still use the vacuum today. It still sucks better than any vacuum I could afford between my first and her passing. She had it restored, probably in the 80's, it is 50's vintage. I want to try some of the stuff. I think I have a sander too. Mike

AHotRod likes this.
  20. Spray painted a 1953 Packard with the Electrolux and the painting attachment. Came out as good as the rest of the car. Lost a rod bearing in it so used leather from a belt soaked it in oil after cutting it down and buttoned her up. Old time mechanic showed me what to do. Damn thing ran with no knock. Guy who bought it ran it for the rest of the summer and he sold it too. Yes the good old days.

AHotRod and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This thread sucks :cool:

anthony myrick likes this.
  22. Slopok

Slopok

No it doesn't, it BLOWS! :rolleyes:

Bandit Billy likes this.
  23. BJR

BJR

'28phonebooth likes this.
  24. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

And here's Boo's paint job on his T Coupe Screenshot_20221203-202059_Gallery.jpg

AHotRod likes this.
  25. A Boner

A Boner

Lucas Industries in Birmingham England made a vacuum cleaner…and it’s the only thing they ever manufactured that doesn’t suck…or so I’ve heard.

Budget36, williebill and mr57 like this.
  26. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Electrolux paint jobs? No, but do remember flocking christmas trees w'the attachment kit. Up 'till a couple of years ago, still had the whole attachment kit, vac long gone. Now I'm wondering where it might be?
    Marcus...

27. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

This is a 'Silver Knight' sprayer attachment from the late '50s. My Dad and Uncle got a deal on several cheap quarts of paint of various colors that they mixed together and cut with gasoline to stretch it out so they could paint both Dad's '50 Ford and Uncle Bert's '52 Merc. The color when mixed was like a dull dead grass Army green. Painted in the barn. It was my job to keep the chickens from getting too close. They came out with a consistent dull finish that was at least 50 years ahead of its time. DSC07428.JPG

williebill, Budget36 and chevy57dude like this.
  28. I loved that show! The Kingfish had more scams than you could shake a stick at, and the one-liners were great! The car painting episode was pretty good.... I don't remember all the details, but they painted it that new color... Macaroon (maroon).
    One of my favorite bits was one in which The Kingfish was trying to butter up Andy by giving him a cigar. He said: "Have a cigar Andy. These are the good ones... two for a quarter." Andy takes a puff and says: "Yeah, well you must have gotten the twenty-three cent-er."
    Although not PC, it had great writing and set the tone of lots of other situation comedies to follow: The quick-buck/scam artist that always got his comeuppance in the end (and the wives were always smarter than their husbands). Kind of like the "Honeymooners" or "Life of Riley".

ffr1222k and BJR like this.
  29. A Boner

A Boner

Was digging through a pile of “my stuff”, and ran across this spray gun today. Not an Electrolux like I used to paint my first car (49 Chevy), but just like it. Found it at a garage sale a few years ago, and couldn’t pass it up!
    78EAB29B-31D2-4857-9EBE-66BF7EA9F1DC.jpeg

ffr1222k likes this.
  30. 60 Special

60 Special
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

I was probably 10-12 years too young to know about painting cars with an Electrolux, but I do remember the Electrolux vacuum cleaner. My mom had one with beautiful chrome plating. It was the tank type with the word "Electrolux" carved out of a chrome panel on the sides, where you could look through the letters and see the tank in the background. In addition to being attracted to said vacuum, we had a neighbor across the road named Ralph, who painted cars in the evening, in his 2-car detached block garage. He had a ton of kids, so I assume he painted cars to make ends meet. I remember standing in his gravel driveway, as a plume of paint overspray would billow out of his garage door! This was probably in 1955 a year before I started kindergarten. Two other things I was attracted to at the same time was the drone of twin engine planes flying overhead and the garbage man. I wanted to be a garbage man, which I thought was an awesome job, for many of my primary years!

ffr1222k likes this.