Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods HEI Distributers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Sep 15, 2015.

1. blazedogs

blazedogs

When Building my 29 Model A I recessed the firewall to accomidate a HEI Distributor,a distributor that was around for years and worked very well for me in the past with other cars.Now I'm at the point where I need one. I just got the lattest Speedway catalog in the mail yesterday and they show a new one for the SBC for $69.00. I can't get one in a salvage yard for that .I wonder what gives .I have bought from Speedway in the past and usually satisfied.

The old expression "you get what you pay for" Will I regret the purchase.it seem way to cheap ??

gene

2. 47ragtop

47ragtop

They are made in the far East, that's why they are cheap. I have no personal experience with one because I use the junk yard brand !!

3. Yeah, they are disposable anymore.
    Get 2 so when it quits you'll have one on the shelf. Cardone is a bit better at 99.00, at least I hope so :)

4. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Probably a "top brand" like pro-comp.

You're better off with a used OEM HEI with a new cap and rotor.
    Put a MSD module in it [with the extra wire for the rev limiter ] and a hotter coil it is good enough for a race engine.
    A $69 dizzy plus the towing fee [when it fails on a trip] = a better HEI

5. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

doinbad likes this.
  6. doinbad

doinbad
    from celina tn

im a fan of skip. i use his hei dizy all the time. i have installed at least 20 of them only had one to go bad,replaced it with a new one to get back on the road. When i took cap off to see what was wrong it was the ground wire loose tightened it up fired fine and its in my 51 panel now

7. i put one in an ot. truck..........never could get it to run right.......switched back to oem........perfect.

8. I bought a used OEM HEI at a swap meet for 10 bucks installed a new cap, rotor, and module,--so far it has 12,000 trouble free miles on it. I just don't know how good the $69.00 can be. I'd be a little nervous about the quality.

9. aaggie

aaggie

I bought an HEI from GM Performance for the engine in my '40 Chevy and it works fine. I also carry a spare cap, coil, rotor and module in the trunk along with a few other parts and tools for roadside repairs. Aftermarket modules seem to be less reliable that the GM OEM stuff and I have loaned out several to other stranded people. I looked under hoods at the local Pick-A-Part and most of the HEI units are gone.

10. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Used a cheapy HEI from Jeg's and it crapped out in 90 days. Went to a stocker from the local Chevy dealer and it's still going strong.

11. Well I am not a big HEI fan as most already know, but they are a 25 dollar commodity at any swap or U-Pull it. If I had to have one and wanted new I would wither go with a DUI or a Mallory, they are more pricey but they are a good distributer. I have a certain fondness for things like good distributers.

12. I got that Speedway HEI last year and have had no problems with it yet.

13. I don't know who makes them for Speedway, but my guess would be that they are offshore as in way off shore. The problem with *a lot of that stuff is that it is a crap shoot, you may very well get a good piece and you may just as likely get a bad one.

*a lot of that stuff in general not a lot of that Speedway stuff specifically.

14. rfraze

rfraze

One big problem with those "top quality" cheapies is the rotor. I have helped guys with cars on the roadside who had holes burned thru the rotor. Maybe a good quality rotor would take you farther.

15. Thanks, noted. :)

16. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

I bought a Summit Racing HEI for $100 or so. It uses OEM cap rotor and module. That way if I'm out some where, every Napa is going to have parts.

17. Gman0046

Gman0046

If I were buying a Chinese HEI, I'd buy two. One for a spare when you crap out in the middle of nowhere. Its the old story, you get what you pay for.

Gary