Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods anyone remember electrolux paint jobs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boo, Sep 5, 2015.

1. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I remember seeing a guy paint his oldsmobile black with a powder puff in Dads champlin station lube rack. LOL. Looked ok once it flowed together. Lippy

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

Lee, havent repainted the grill yet, maybe tomorrow. hope we can match the 120 grit finish that we have on the rest of the car, dont know what went wrong with our mix gombo, sounded good. Ace hdw. 1gal. intnal tracter gloss blue, 1qt. black, 14 oz baby powder[talk], acetone thinner. was suposed to come out satin Moonshine Blue, satin 120 grit finish. Remember with the electrolux, you had to cary the vac in one hand while spraying with the other and that 6ft. 1 1/2'' hose was allways in the way. hope to have car finished for ROG.

chryslerfan55, Grandadeo and y'sguy like this.
  3. rooman

rooman

I started my painting career by spraying my first car in "raspberry jam" (red enamel) with a vacuum cleaner when I was about 16. It took quite a while to dry but came out pretty smooth. Next one was NC lacquer and then I did my motorcycle in acrylic lacquer (and metalflake). I eventually ended up with a custom paint/body shop and won top competition car paint at the South Australian Hot Rod Show for six years in a row.

Roo

vtx1800, chryslerfan55 and y'sguy like this.
  4. thequietwon

thequietwon

I have a 34 sedan was boarded up in a barn in 63. When I broke down the boards last year to pull it out, the old man that sold it said they painted it with his mom's vacuum cleaner. Now I know what he was talking about... 2014-03-01_15-24-56_736.jpg 2014-02-23_14-53-49_21.jpg
    Sam 2014-03-01_15-24-56_736.jpg 2014-02-23_14-53-49_21.jpg

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Weren't those just the greatest?? man, I thought that was cool when I was a kid!

Model T1 likes this.
  6. garage2small

garage2small

I had almost forgotten about the time I painted my bicycle with one of those when I was about 12, as I recall the paint job was only slightly worse than the roller applied Rustoleum on my avatar!

7. My Dad painted Indian Brick Red Rustoleum on my 1931 DB coupe with my Mom's Kirby vacuum. If I remember correctly, she was not too Picture 2870.jpg happy about it.

Model T1 likes this.
  8. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

If you want to sell the paint equipment let me know. I collect spray guns and I have never heard of that. I have a touch up gun that you screw on to a valve stem that is from the 30's.

9. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

great bunch of stories! My mom had the Electrolux for as long as I can remember WITH that sprayer attachment too. I never used it but always thought about it. I inherited the whole setup from my parents and we had it and used the vacuum for a long time. But as will happen, I finally got sick of the old thing being in the way and it's all gone now, but at least Istill have the memories!

Model T1 likes this.
  10. I remember reading somewhere that Larry Watson could spray pearl with a bug sprayer.. Tried that once with an old trailer and apparently I am nowhere near as good as Larry Watson, or I used the wrong bug sprayer.......

vtx1800 and loudbang like this.
  11. 63 Avanti 3137

63 Avanti 3137

This thread made me go pull this down and snap some pic's.
    It was my grand fathers. He sold Electrolux for years.
    DSC00146.JPG DSC00146.JPG DSC00147.JPG DSC00149.JPG DSC00150.JPG DSC00151.JPG DSC00152.JPG

fms427 and loudbang like this.
  12. No but I remember Kirby paint jobs. ( yes I do but I just wanted to say that.)

Here is one that most won't probably remember, bug sprayer paint jobs. never tried it on a car but I did paint a few bikes (with and without motors) that way when I was a kid. One of those old pump bug sprayers is what I am talking about. let me find a pic if I can.

ha google is your friend found one:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  13. flyin-t

flyin-t

Dan, my dad said he painted his wheels red on his '41 chevy convert in '52 with one of those but his had a glass jar on it. Maybe like this one? He was 16 at the time and said, looking back, it looked pretty shitty but you could only see the outer edge of the rim once the 'caps were on.
    $T2eC16ZHJHEFFmKpRmk4BSTKqM0)og~~60_57.JPG

14. wicarnut

wicarnut

Back in early 50's my dad used a vacuum cleaner, brand ? For painting cars, flocking Christmas trees, painting garage, etc., have old pics of his midget racer he painted, looks pretty good in pics. I painted several cars w/enamel in 60's into 70's w/ an old spray gun and a compressor w/o water traps, in the driveway, not pro grade, but acceptable for the times. Today, the cost of paint and supplies for 1 car surpass the first home I purchased in 1970, PROGRESS is a wonderful thing, BUT like a lot of "Old Timers" sometimes, I miss the old days. Just rambling on this PM.

A Boner, loudbang and Model T1 like this.
  15. Whatcha got there is a Flit Gun! ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flit_gun

16. When I got the 'ol brown turd in 1971 I had a go spraying it with a vaccum cleaner type thing called a Vatrix, it had what was a vaccum cleaner type thing with a strap that allowed it to hang on your back, vaccum cleaner hose to a spray gun and away you went.........think my brother & I sprayed a few things including ourselves(hey we WERE young & stupid back then) with it but it got replaced with a proper compressor and gun after a short while.......lol.....the things you forget..........andyd

Model T1 likes this.
  17. I never knew about any of this. This is so cool!

18. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

I heard something about painting a car with a vacuum a long time ago but this thread reminded me and I didn't even know it was a real thing.

Someone needs to come out with some kind of spray device like those to use on an air compressor for those of us who can't afford Kirby vacuums.

19. You can also use them on the exhaust side of a wet-or-dry shop vacuum;they supply more than enough air.

20. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I guess I should have listed my 57 Kirby on here when I sold it 3 years ago. Had every attachment known to mankind including a never used sprayer.

21. I've never understood why anyone would buy a Kirby vacuum, on credit no less! For what they cost you could get a used Buick! :rolleyes:

Model T1 likes this.
  22. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

About 54 or 55 my big brother got hiss first car. 38 Chevy sedan. It's fenders were pretty rusted on the bottoms. So he cut out the rust and screwed screen on. Covered it with fiberglass. At the time, I thought it looked great. Then he primered it using the Electrolux. then he found some white paint and started painting the body line white. With a brush. Got about 2/3 done and ran out of paint. So that is the way he left it. I thought the whole car was great. Jeff really wanted a '49 Ford and I don't remember what happened to the Chevy. But it was soon replaced with a '49 Ford.

23. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

I was trying to make a joke. It obviously didn't work.

24. heard of doing it with the bug sprayers too, guy would be worn out by the time he was halfway done.

25. Well, I thought I got it... Kirby's used to retail for around $1500-$2000, if I remember correctly. Ummmm... :p It's a vacuum cleaner!

Model T1 likes this.
  26. Model T1

Model T1

Besides the shiny new Kirby I drove a 1949 Buick special for a few years. My wife was cute back then and she said "please" a lot. :D

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

man am I thick. I read that three times before I got it! funny benno.

28. My mom had a Kirby when I was little and yes they were pricey. What I remember most about it was my big sister chasing me around with the sucker attachment, I am probably in the Guinness Book of Records for being the youngest man in the world with a hickey. :eek: :D

ClayMart likes this.
  29. clunkerbob

clunkerbob
    from Arizona

I'd forgotten all about the vacuum cleaner spray gun setup . I never painted , but I used my mom's vacuum to primer a couple of cars and actually it worked pretty good ... at least for a 16 year old kid . It would spit water drops sometimes when the hot air condensed the humid air , but what the hell it was only primer . I think mom's was an Airway or Amway something like that , we couldnt afford the high end stuff .

30. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

My Buddy sprayed his 39 Ford coupe with a Eureka, I think it was. It was painted, I guess. This would have been around 1958-59. We did what we could.