Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What's the story on using CLR

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Seems I remember a discussion about guys using CLR to revive old paint,is there anything to it? HRP

upload_2015-9-8_15-25-8.jpeg

2. Some guys when the car is covered in surface rust use it to remove the rust then use whatever paint is left. Some turn out OK and others don't.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. HRP, on my OT (but barely) Chevy pickup I used CLR and Scotchbrite to take the oxidation off, then waxed it with Mother's paste wax - the patina looks great, and water beads up.

HOTRODPRIMER and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. slowmotion

slowmotion

There was a thread where a guy did Chevy wagon I think it was. Came out pretty dang good. Use your HAMB prowess and hunt 'er down HRP.

Gray Ford and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

5. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

Mix it 5:1 with warm/hot water. Use a green scothbrite. It will remove the rust from the paint that remains. Some folks clear the car after CLR treatment. I prefer a good coat of wax. I don't trust the clear to adhere for long.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I used it to try to unseize a motor, didn't do bugger all. Then again, neither did Coke.

King ford and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. shadams

shadams

Did mine with CLR/scotchbrite/sand paper, havent finished the roof yet....dont plan on clearing it, will paint one day and dont want to add work for myself. Wax may not be a bad idea....

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

^^^^^^^ Bingo!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. dudley32

dudley32

where is it sold?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

You can find it at almost any supermarket, hardware store etc.

Normally on the household cleaners runway...

HOTRODPRIMER, VANDENPLAS and dudley32 like this.
  11. So it's no a magic bullet for enhancing old tired paint. HRP

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. -Brent-

-Brent-

This is pretty much the magic bullet along with wax afterward. You can also use oxalic acid (wood bleach) in warm water. It's less expensive and higher concentrated.

HOTRODPRIMER and indyjps like this.
  13. It takes off rust stains, and minor surface rust without touching the paint, That's the R part that us car guys are interested in. The C and L dissolves calsium and lime deposits.
    Will it revive tired paint? Probably not. The paint still looks tired and thin to me, just free of rust stains.

HOTRODPRIMER, VANDENPLAS and -Brent- like this.
  14. CLR is just a dilute acid mixture. The acid is what removes the iron oxide. Acid, having H+ ions, mixes with the Oxygen in the iron oxide which is broken down into the O- ions. The H+ and O- combine to make water, and the acid is used up. It does not restore any lost paint or do anything to the paint, it just removes the rust and rust stains within the paint.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. Blase

Blase

From this thread: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/clr-ans-patina.733740/#post-8151799

I tried giving my car a CLR bath last weekend with great results IMO. Below are pictures of the results that I got.

[​IMG]
    This is what it looked like when I pulled it to my house.

[​IMG]
    This is after two washes with Simple Green and a tire brush to remove a decade of nature. NO CLR UP TO THIS POINT.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Drivers side after a FULL day with 50/50 CLR, cold water (I know I know) and green scotch bright pads. I probably went through 5-7 kitchen sized 3" x 5" pads and 3/4 gallon of CLR to do half the car.

Day 2:
    50/50 CLR & WARM to HOT water. I also mixed smaller batches more often to try and lessen the pressure I had to use (my arms were dead Sunday when I started!!) I had to work smarter instead of harder on Sunday. LOL
    [​IMG]
    Passenger side before.

[​IMG]
    Passenger side after.

I can tell you it worked but it was A LOT of rubbing to make it look like this!! It was nothing like the videos I watched on the net. I had to apply a lot more pressure than I was expecting. Warm to HOT water on day two seemed to work better. Also used more pads on day two which seemed to help as well.

All in all I used about 2 gallons of CLR and 25-20 3" x 5" green scotch bright pads for a total of $50.

HOTRODPRIMER, Stogy and bondolero like this.
  16. Although it was a lot of work the results speaks for itself. HRP

17. indyjps

indyjps

Wonder if you could mix in a thickening agent to allow it to hang in place and work. Knox Gelatin??

Or spray on the CLR and cover with saran wrap to keep it from drying out.

If you can let the acid work a while it may lessen the scrubbing

I've used CLR on parts and it worked well, but it was a full dunk. Any cars I find with rust stained oxidized paint are also missing the bottom 6 inches of the panels.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. 39 Deluxe

39 Deluxe

I've never tried CLR on a vehicle. If the paint is quite bad I have used steel wool and diesel fuel with good results. If the paint is still half decent I will just use Turtle rubbing compound as it less aggressive than steel wool and will not remove paint. . Plenty of time and elbow grease can give impressive results. It did on my Merc.

Attached Files:

HOTRODPRIMER and Truck64 like this.
  19. Cool photo. HRP

[​IMG]

39 Deluxe likes this.
  20. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

21. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Would phosphoric acid do the same thing? You can buy that at Home Depot or Menards.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. shadams

shadams

Yes and no. I used that but it turns the rust black and gummy or leaves a white residue. I would use that on the inside of panels but CLR on outside surfaces.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. Zep has a version that's a bit cheaper. ..Available at the sticks and bricks depot.
    Good for your small parts dip bucket .
    If you're really low budget..Dollar Tree has a spray bottle...sometimes

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. bondolero

bondolero

I wonder if the stuff used with steel wool would remove rust stains from Chrome ? Would be nice to freshen up the chrome also with using a scotchbrite on it but getting off the rusted scratches etc.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. stimpy

stimpy

its made from Latic acid ( yep same acid in milk ) thats why its safe on metal , you should see how it cleans stainless in its concentrated form . and no worry about any enbrittlement from hydrogens

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Here's a members 61 Parkwood wagon before and after CLR. A quick coat of clear over the finished product

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

same for me...nothing

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.