Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Jags and Bags

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by usmile4, Sep 14, 2015.

1. usmile4

usmile4

A couple of years ago I bagged the stock front end on my 51 Chevy with the help of a thread by Rustypipes and tech support from Gambino and others. I've been studying up on threads about using a Jag from end so I can get the power steering and others pluses.

I did a search to see if anyone had put in a Jag front end and used bags. I found a few threads but some were so old that any pictures were not showing up.

So if anyone knows of a thread that has some pictures that you can point me to, or if you would PM me with some information, I would be appreciative.

2. Steve I get "No threads to display"

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a Jag front end that someone hacked up a bit putting bags in. They did a lot of cutting on the spring pockets but that shouldn't keep me from putting springs back in.
    [​IMG]
    They welded plates in the lower control arm spring buckets for the bags.
    [​IMG]
    I bought a pair of regular spring buckets to run springs again.

Not mine but a real nice looking install in an AD truck.
    [​IMG]

4. Look to the right where it says 'Social Forum Tools' and click on that. You have to 'join' the forum to see it.

5. usmile4

usmile4

Many of those were the ones I found when I did a search but I was hoping someone might have some newer photos as some of the links photos are not working.

6. I just place the springs in my Jag front end this weekend... wasn't easy, compressed a 12˝ spring to 6-1/2˝ to install, they expanded to 8˝ after installed. I want to see what the ride height and stiffness is with the original springs before converting it to air.

The upper housing for the spring has a cone shape metal that the spring sets in, that will have to be cut out (first pic in Mr48Chev post) and a mount plate made to mount the top of the bag. I think a little bit of the outer metal ring of the upper spring housing also has to be trimmed so it won't rub on the bag (8˝ ?).

On the bottom spring bucket that mounts to the lower A-arm, it also has to have the center cut out. I'm not sure you can just weld in a flat piece of metal like the second pic in Mr48Chev post. The upper pocket and and the lower pocket that holds the springs are not parallel in their angle to each other. The original springs when installed have a good curve to it, so I'm not sure you would want the bags to sit or ride at a bend like that...????

These pics are from a Hamb member, IRON MAIDEN, album in his profile... check out his album for more pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It looks like he extended the lower spring bucket and add a metal platform in the upper housing, the bag is more vertical the way he did it.

If I bag mine, I think I'll cut out the metal upper and lower areas first. Then block the car up at the ride height I wanted... then figure out the angles so that the bag is straight. I wonder how to access the fasteners for the top of the bag... it's not from the top of the frame, and it looks like a tight fit to get access from the bag area?

7. I'm more interested in bags for the rear IRS, but keeping an eye on this as well.
    '41 Chevy

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

A friend of mine runs a chassis/suspension shop, this is what he thinks of air bags.

Attached Files:

9. heinz51

heinz51

Well dd drag your suspension buddy to the 21st century ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1444511516.513726.jpg

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My bad, I should pay closer attention to the posted category.