Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 50's midget f'glass nose and hood

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill Rinaldi, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Trying to build a 50's style midget race car Got a usable tail but need a f'glass nose and hood. Any condition, so long as there's enough of it to rebuild. Speed way has them in their racer catalog, but they only make them as they are ordered. I'd rather find some one who has something laying around and would rather see it used. I posted on the WANTED/FOR SALE board but had no response at all. BILL RINALDI

2. Maybe someone near has one you could pattern off of.

3. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Ok, I have a buddy who has one and I can get the specs from that but I would still have to make a form (buck) from it to reproduce it from fibre glass or get involved with an aluminum guy to build me one. I just hope the right HAMBer reads this. BILL RINALDI

4. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

5. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

Hmm got knocked off net just as I tried to reply. Give me dimensions at frame rails. Have a fiberglass nose I wanted to run on a track roadster but was too narrow perhaps I can help

6. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

frame is about 16" at narrowest point at front, if you can post or e-mail a pix I can tell a lot more. As long as I have a complete nose I can modify it.

7. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Why not just build one from foam board and glass it up? Once the glass is cured, you can eliminate the foam.

8. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Hey Stu, how you doin'? How do you eliminate the foam? Melt it with lacquer thinner? I've made complicated forms out of paper meche' then smeared a light coating of vaseline on it and then glassed over that. In the case of the roadster scoops (old style dragster carb scoops) I had cut them in half after they were molded, removed the paper meche' forms, and glued the 2 halves together and body worked finished them. I was too lazy to make a mold of the finished one. Should have, I wound up making 2 more for other guys. If I can get a head start with a nose that will work, I'm thinking about making a buck form for the hood and laying up strips of poster board as a base and glassing that----Yea, thats the ticket, more projects!! RINALDI

9. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Foam board, glued together and shaped with a "cheese grater" and grinder. Thin coat of bondo, and then do your glass work. Once it cures, scrape the foam and/or spray thinner on it.

10. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

I like your foam board idea!!! I sure could get a more perfected shape with the foam, rather than poster board. Thanks Stu. RINALDI

11. or you could use this
    003.JPG

12. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois