Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical dual exhaust and bagged

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 1953belair!, Sep 12, 2015.

1. 1953belair!

1953belair!

just put some fenton headers on my ol 235 looks like its going to be tricky to run the pipes and still be able to lay out...ive already shortened my trans crossmember and notched it with two half pipe pieces,one on each side for the pipe to run through,i did that awhile ago when I first bagged it...im thinking now that maybe I should have made a bigger notch on the driver side of the crossmember for both pipes to run through...just thought I would see if anybody had any ideas or what worked for them

2. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I had my muffler shop run the pipes over the transmission crossmember.

3. 1953belair!

1953belair!

That's how I notched my crossmember

Attached Files:

4. 1953belair!

1953belair!

I found were somebody did theirs this way I think their mite just be enough room to go under the oil pan like in the pic

Attached Files:

5. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I don't like the idea of notching your crossmember unless you seriously reinforce it or add another crossmember. These cars only have 3 cross members. There is no crossmember over the rear axle. At the very rear of the car is your 3rd crossmember and thats a huge distance between it and the transmission. The car could flex afterwards.

6. 1953belair!

1953belair!

Yes its got angle iron 1/4 inch thick on the flat part on that trans cross member you just can't tell because its inside of the tube and when I bagged the rear I put two bars from one side to the other at the top of the notches

7. jkluge

jkluge

IMG_1346.JPG
    I had no other option being i had no room for the pipe to exit anywhere after the rear end.

8. ahshoe

ahshoe

Here how I dealt with mine. The pipes are going thru the holes you see in the crossmember

Attached Files:

9. ahshoe

ahshoe

Here a better picture.

Attached Files:

10. 1953belair!

1953belair!

Looks gud I got my pipes on their now I'll post a pics on them when I put it back on the lift

11. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

You guys espouse traditional, since when is a bucket of rust and bagged traditional?

12. bri0057

bri0057

I have 2x4 tubing for my trans cross member which made room to run the exhaust over the top. I wasn't sure it would be possible to get it all tucked above the frame rails but I found an old timer who wanted a good challenge. Took him 9 hours but it couldn't be better. Don't mind the zip tied brake lines, it was just temporary to get it to the exhaust shop before the snow flies.

Attached Files: