Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Engine Won't stay on.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rocknrolldaddy, Sep 14, 2015.

1. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

My '63 F100 has a "78 Ford mostly stock 302. It was running like always, like a champ. Friday after work I noticed it was running at a lower idle than usual, and barely staying on. I got it home by keeping my foot on the accelerator at all the stops. It has headers and an aftermarket HEI, chevy type distributor.

I have fuel to the carburetor, I can see gas in the clear fuel filter, the reservoir is full, and I can see gas spraying in the carburetor. I checked to see if the spark plugs were fouled, they were all ok, I cleaned them anyway. I seem to have spark, since it runs while I'm on the accelerator. After starting it, I had someone disconnect the battery, while keeping my foot on the gas, to check if it was the charging system. HEI is less than a year old.

What's next?
    Thanks in advance, fellas.

2. bonzo-1

bonzo-1

Check for vacuum leaks.

3. Yep,
    Cracked hose, loose hose.

Whatever it is should be pretty obvious.

4. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

I'm sure that is more than just a visual inspection, can you elaborate? Can I do it by myself, or do I need an extra person?

5. A condition where "it ran fine then all of a sudden didn't" is usually really easy to find. Something usually broke, fell off, came loose, or plugged up.

Without more information its hard to point you in the right direction but what you describe is pretty much the classic vacuum leak.

volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  6. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

I checked every vacuum line leading to the carburetor, none are cracked or torn. Checked pcv valve and it seems to be in working order. Anything I'm missing?

7. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Try spraying a little starting fluid at the carb base gasket, any vacuum lines etc. If the idle speed changes
    you have found a leak. Otherwise I would suspect that you got something in the carb passages.

8. Carburetor base gasket

Intake manifold gaskets

Vacuum fittings to the intake and carb

Anything that operates on manifold vacuum: brake booster, distributor vacuum advance, vacuum modulator, windshield wiper motor, HVAC controls and actuators, vacuum reservoir tanks, Hollywood Wolf Whistle horns, etc. :eek:

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. studebaker46

studebaker46

does this have dual exh or single I had a exhaust pipe on 71 monte carlo one time that the inside of the of the exhaust pipe collapsed and I couldn't get over 20mph was in tuckerman ar stopped at little dirt floor garage and paid the guy 5 bucks to cut a hole in to get me home. just a thought.Tom

10. Two shabby

Two shabby

Take a look at the cap and rotor. And inspect your plug wires. Might have melted a wire near those headers.

11. Make sure the distributor isn't loose and the timing hasn't slipped - try twisting it.

Next I would take the carb apart and clean it - sounds like a clogged idle circuit could be the culprit

12. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its probably a vacume leak like the guys said. Just wanted to add I have bought aftermarket new chevy distributers in the past that were junk especially the moguls from local parts stores

13. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

If it has the stock ford exhaust Y pipe they were often double wall pipe and occasionally the "inner" pipe collapses and causes high back pressure ....wich causes low manifold vacuum....Now I see studebaker 46 had the same idea!

loudbang likes this.
  14. I know u said u got gas, but enough ? Check for clogged gas filter, weak gas pump ?

15. roundvalley

roundvalley

HOTRODDON: X2--- Dirt in idle circuit

hotroddon likes this.
  16. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

Cleaned out the carb and replaced HEI module. Idles great, it ran well, then, it shut off and ran like crap after restarted. Obviously, very frustrated.

17. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

Limped home. Replaced all vacuum lines. Same result.

18. What did you do to it between.
    Ran shitty then its running great.

Now its running shitty again?

19. finn

finn

Timing chain.

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

after reading all the responses I would say it is either fuel or electrical.

...unless it is something else.

21. Lmao

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

When chasing a problem, it is better to make only one change at a time so that one can accurately evaluate the results. When you change two or more at the same time, how do you know which fixed it? Or, which failed when the problem returns.

Ray.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's an excellent way of destroying your alternator.

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A 1978 302 would have had some smog equipment on it. What happened to all of it?

25. Holley carb with a blown power valve?

26. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

It's fixed. Unfortunately, I don't know what the issue was. I just started all over again with the old module, removed all the vacuum lines, and reinstalled them. Of course with the new hoses. I wish I could pin point the issue so it can help someone in the future, but today I'll settle for "it runs like before it broke.":rolleyes:

27. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

Motorcraft carb. Most smog crap is still on it. I want to eliminate it all but, maybe as a future project.

28. 4 hours ago it was fixed and then broke again. But now its fixed again.
    I hope you won't need it but don't leave without your phone.

Hnstray likes this.
  29. rfraze

rfraze

This is FUNNY!!!

30. LOL first thing I would do is stick my screw driver in that little screw that controls the idle speed and give it a twist. :D

49ratfink likes this.