Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 322 Flattie to a 5speed?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ellwood59, Sep 13, 2015.

1. I'm hoping to stuff my '40 LaSalle 322 in to a 31 DeSoto. Can a modern 5 speed be hooked to this engine? Then what might be a good rear end to put behind these?
    Thanks guys for any advice, this is still just all in my head right now.

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Have you tried Flat Caddy. transmission adapters do a 346 Caddy flathead to Chev.Wilcap do OHV Caddy but not flathead.

Ellwood59 likes this.
  3. No, I have not but, I will. Thanks for the help.

4. Bill Leland

Bill Leland

I've seen Chevy S-10 trans used but no help with adapter. Bill

Ellwood59 likes this.

5. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The rear end gear ratio would be figured out just the same as anything else. It depends on tire size, transmission top gear ratio, vehicle weight, engine torque curve, and desired cruising speeds and engine rpm.

Ellwood59 likes this.
  6. Thanks FrozenMerc, I'm leaving the math and science to my buddy that does the work. I have the dreams,(I work hard to pay for them) they build them, I do research and drive them.
    Thanks for all the input.

7. I've tried doing the building but, I got tired of having to pay someone to fix the mistakes I made. I'm a driver. ;)

8. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Always good to know ones limitations....

9. Try Bendtsen's at transmissionadaptors.com. I bought one from them, late spring. You have to use 2 flywheels, but looks like it will work.

Rusty