Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Storing Sheetmetal

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Rocco611, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Rocco611

Rocco611
    from Madera Ca.

I just picked up several 4x8 sheets of cold rolled sheetmetal , for making patch panels and floor boards. Since I dont do this everyday, the metal will probably last me a year or more. In the past I sprayed the sheetmetal with wd40 to keep it rustfree . looking for a more permanent solution , as spraying with wd has to be done every couple of months to keep it from rusting

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not sure if most anything else that would be more permanent but removable might not be more trouble to deal with than mild surface rust or spraying the sheets ever so often. If you have ever cleaned cosmoline off a rifle you know it's a pain in the butt to clean off but stuff covered with it seems to stay good forever.
    Just when I thought I had seen everything look what I found http://www.cosmolinedirect.com/?gclid=CMCXyJDv9scCFRRcfgodCyUCAg

3. Rocco611

Rocco611
    from Madera Ca.

interesting link, thanks. Cosmoline works great, I agree its a chore to clean off, have used an entire can of brake clean on a pair of new rotors coated with that stuff.

4. As long as it's inside I would expect anything but light surface rust from handling,but why not take a rag and some motor oil and wipe it down?

I don't do anything to the extra sheets of steel and after I cut it and use it I lightly sandblast and then hit it with etching primer. HRP

5. George G

George G

Gibbs Brand works great for rust control

F2 Performance Supply likes this.
  6. Rocco611

Rocco611
    from Madera Ca.

I keep the steel inside a metal storage container (40' connex box). seems to rust pretty quickly during the winter months. thinking a light coat of etching primer woundnt be a bad idea

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Rust Mort by SEM Products.
    This is not the gray/black slimy rust converter type stuff.
    Thin as water.
    Apply with a rag, wait 10-15 mins, neutralize with water, wipe dry(thoroughly)
    BTW...protect cement while applying, will leave chalky stains on it.
    Has worked great for me on long term projects in bare metal (stored in dry shop).

loudbang likes this.
  8. Where I live it will rust in a day when the weather is bad . I use 2 sheets of 1/4" luan plywood that I duct tape together on 3 sides like a big envelope . I store it standing against the wall .

loudbang likes this.
  9. download.jpg I've been using this product as a rust preventative in my shop for years...I get it at a tooling supply house..I spray all my hand tools , metal supplies , unpainted projects , etc.....Works for me as things seem to rust quickly in my shop...Never had any problem with painting projects later ,also

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  10. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

I have used Gibbs with great results, it comes in a spray can like WD40, but lasts way longer, I have bare metal parts that I have not plated or painted yet out the garage that were coated once over a year ago and no rust, there probably about do for another treatment, check on line and get there racing story, we have a race car builder here in town that carries it, but get on line, they will deliver it to your door, I think it was like 12 bucks for a big spray can.

11. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I started using pb blaster the formula for anti corrosion but don't know the long term results.

12. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just put a light coat of oil on both sides of my stuff and lean it against a wall in my storeage area. Never had a . Problem with rust

13. scotti32

scotti32

Gibbs brand is great stuff. Bare metal usually rust in my garage in a couple of days. Coated bare metal cold rolled sheet with gibbs and leaned it against the wall for over 12 months, still like new.

14. stimpy

stimpy

I store mine in a book made from luan plywood , the insides are coated with used motor oil I let it soak in before I put it on edge , the edges I used leather shoe/ boot strings to hold it shut across the corners , its not meant to be carried just hold the sheets straight and against each other , one steel mill I used to deliver to used regular corn oil on there cold rolled finished steel as its freindly and easier to clean off . as the plant that it goes to they use a hot water and detergent before they level and slit and stamp , and they recoupe the oil for use on there parts after stamping .

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I would store it where it will not rust.

16. I have a 5x12' bench that I do my sheet metal work on. My steel comes oily so I just stack it on the bench, wipe clean trans fluid mixed 50/50 with acetone on the top sheet and cover with a poly tarp to keep condensation off it, works great. (Let the acetone evaporate before you cover the sheet up)

17. spooler41

spooler41

I'm in with the Gibbs Brand group, it's great stuff, I use it on any thing that I
    don't want to rust. It absolutely amazed me, so I'm still using it.

........................ Jack

18. Picklex 20 is a permanent solution as long as its indoors and doesn't get wet. Easy to use, water based, with mild etching properties. DO NOT use an etch primer over it.

19. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I have had good results using Amsoil heavy duty MP, it leaves a protective coating that isn't as hard to remove as cosmoline.

20. indyjps

indyjps

It's rusting in the steel container because it draws condensation as it the temperature fluctuates.

If you have the space to store it in a more temperature stable place, it won't be as bad, even an unheated attached garage will be a lot more temp stable than the outdoor container.

Perfect use of used motor oil, dip a rag and wipe it on lightly. Trans fluid with a thinner works too.

21. oj

oj

Sheetmetal has a good coating on it and lasts a long time on its' own. If I need to protect something I use the spray form of Cosmoline. Works great (thats what its made for) and smells good.

22. BigChief

BigChief

.....another vote for Gibbs. Spray and forget. Hit the stuff once every year or so and it'll be ready to go when you are.

23. Rocco611

Rocco611
    from Madera Ca.

thanks guys, lot of options I haven't considered. appreciate the help :)

24. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I spray my sheet metal with a 50/50 mix of phosphoric acid and distilled water wipe off while wet.never rusts.I don't keep WD 40 in my shop as it effects painting( FISH EYE CITY) !