Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 16 in wires or 16 in steel wheels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nickk, Jan 25, 2015.

1. 409730_3642829271646_484276690_n.jpg FYI I ran wires for about 10 years on my A with a stock 5152 Merc
    Never had a problem in about 40,000 miles.Also, that stance on joeysmen is damn pperfect!

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. DenB

DenB
    from addison IL

Wires n Y block

3. DenB

DenB
    from addison IL

Wires n Y block 292

Attached Files:

4. x2 what AndersF said.

falcongeorge likes this.
  5. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Looks great...don't chop it, and my personal likes would be steel wheels.
    But...you car, your choice..
    Good luck :)

6. spooler41

spooler41

WTF does a Y block have to do with anything, better yet mount both sets
    of wheels and change them when ever the mood strikes.

.............................. Jack

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

yup, and 15". No one wanted 16" wheels by the late fifties. Guys were trying to get their cars low.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Everything. Wire wheels were popular on hot rods in the forties. By the early fifties, they were fading away, and by the late fifties, when y-blocks started to appear in hot rods, they were all but gone. Next time you are at a swap meet, pick up some old magazines from the fifties. They usually sell for around $5, less than a copy of "Ol Skool Rods" at your local newsstand.

Squablow, volvobrynk, Iggys31 and 2 others like this.
  9. spooler41

spooler41

George, I've been in this game for nearly 50 years, never heard of or seen a book of
    rules as how to build hot rods. Like I said use two sets of wheels and change them
    to suite the mood.

............................ Jack

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Nonetheless, Jacks fifty years notwithstanding, by the overhead era, 16" ford wires were all but gone from the hot rod scene, and 16" steelies were going going gone... If you want the car to look like a car that was built back when, 15" wheels are a better choice with an overhead. If you going for a post millenium HAMB traditional hot rod, buy all means, mix up parts from different eras, no value judgement implied.
    There were a few, VERY FEW cars that had 16" ford wires on them at that time, I'll round a few up and post them.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    volvobrynk and AndersF like this.
  11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

A few guys are probably wondering if it was so rare to find cars in the fifties with overheads and 16" ford wires, how I came up with these so fast. When I ran across these two, they were such anomalies that the issues they were in stood out in my mind. Both are from 1957, and I had all of '57 out last night because I was looking for the article "Long Legged Olds" which is in Jan 57.
    IMG_20150914_0002.jpg

IMG_20150914_0001.jpg IMG_20150914_0003.jpg
    IMG_20150914_0004.jpg

There were two other cars I can think of that made the magazines after 1955 with 16" wires, both were flathead powered, so do not do anything for making the case for 16" ford wires and an overhead. Interesting to note that, in spite of the SBC, the builder of the car above is referred to as a "student of the old school". Also note, that's "old school", NOT "Ol' Skool".
    The "Hamb traditional" guys should also probably note the size of the headlights on these cars...

volvobrynk, Tony Martino and AndersF like this.
  12. I guess it's just up to the individual but in my opinion the East Coast style leans more toward the steelies. HRP

Tn. Trash and volvobrynk like this.
  13. Iggys31

Iggys31

Jack, just stating my opinion. What makes America great is that we are all entitled to them and free to say how stupid someone else's is. That said, totally respect the opinion of having both steels and wires to run when the mood fits. Never been a fan of the skinny ford spokes, KH's look really nice though.

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Now me, I like bogarts. Lightest, roundest wheels out there. Serious, quality wheels.
    [​IMG]
    I'd like a set for my driver, but they are too damned expensive to waste on that heap.

69fury likes this.
  15. George I got a number for a good therapist in Vancouver. You are a sick sick man my friend. :D :D :D

16. How about wide wide-fives,,,

26 T Ford RPU and volvobrynk like this.
  17. You just fell into Beaner territory my friend. I have always loved wide fives.

26 T Ford RPU and volvobrynk like this.
  18. P9020007.JPG P9020003.JPG I know something about wide fives!
    They can be very cool, and were on almost evert stock car in the world from about1946-1966!
    And, I have a set for sale!!!
    Shameless plug!

Tn. Trash and volvobrynk like this.
  19. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That is just plain weird! I agree with Benno, see a doctor, better sooner then later!

It's odd how that that coupe looks so wrong on wires and an that roadster looks so good on them.
    I like wires, but the only way they usually fits with a OHV motor is if you run a full hood! Like Dennis Lacy
    The only reason those wheels goes with that roadster, is because it look like an early build/survivor that got upgraded with an SBC.

But wheels make or break a car/rod!
    Do the right thing.

And those head lights ain't "traditional", they are era perfect!
    I love them.

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Tell you what Benno, find a pair and lift them up, :eek: then tell me that...;) I know the Hamb only pays lip service to this phrase, but if form really does follow function, those are some BEAUTIFUL wheels. man, I would put a set of those on my car in a HEARTBEAT. Well, maybe not the '39, but you get my drift...

21. Just another point on the wire wheel thing.
    Some of you older guys (Beaner!) no disrespect! May remember there was
    an early blending of styles (Very late 40's and early to late 50's, even later maybe),
    where the British sportscar thing became part of our early car culture.
    Not to get tooo deep in this but the same influence that the low long
    British sportscar thing had some influence IMHO, to the East coast channel thing
    and also the wire wheel thing, (they all had wires). This is of course all conjecture
    on my part but I think it has more than a little creedence!
    Also another point, remember all those big hot '50's Chryslers with those
    beautiful chrome Kelseys!

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. Squablow

Squablow

I suppose on a roadster with cut-down doors going for a sports car look, the wires could look at home on a late 50's style build, and since his Y is the very first year (54), I don't think wires are out of the question on a coupe either, but my personal choice would be 15" steel wheels and full wheelcovers of some kind with WWW's for a mid 50's look.

volvobrynk and falcongeorge like this.
  23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Theres actually a '33/'34 cabriolet in Hot Rod from around '60/'61 that fits that description VERY closely, but I didn't want to listen to all the pissing and moaning that starts on here whenever you post a period car with cut-down doors, so I gave that one a wide berth.

Tony Martino likes this.
  24. Just my 2c, just because it was in a magazine doesn't mean that was all that was going on out there at any set time. That said, that's maybe why the magazines side stepped them. I like wires on pre 33 cars but love solids too so my opinion is have both. I also like wide-fives on early roadsters and coupes (this goes back to my young years seeing New Zealand Hot Rods in the early 60s) and I love this A roadster, just needs some nice caps (or not). JW
    [​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Give it a go. There is nothing like a good discussion, until some one pulls the nazi card or the I don't wonna play card!

Submit the facts, be gentle, listen and repeat!!

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Im just staggered by the quality of the photo above. That's AMAZING for early sixties! I guess you used a Linhoff or Rolliflex? VERY nice!;):)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  27. I personally think that wires fit a roadster better then a coupe. It may go along with @Tony Martino theory on the euro influence theory. At least on my part it probably does. I think too that not all wires are created equal, I got a set of 16s on my sedan now but there were or are wires that I like better. Not as traditional as traditional goes but I am really stuck on the Chrysler and Buick wires of the '50s at least on a fender car.

I am with ya George, I probably wouldn't run them on my sedan but I had a car back in the mid '90s that would have loved them. Different style and type of car. I wonder what the lateral strength of them is, some of the ally light wheels won't take much drifting.

Tony Martino and volvobrynk like this.
  28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

On the wires, I see way more (rodabillys, plug your ears, close your eyes or whatever, gonna be more history mentioned here, I don't want to cramp anyones "creativity") skylark, Chrysler and T-bird wires in Hot Rod between '55-'60 than 16" '35/'36 ford wires.

On the Bogarts, they actually will make your wheels in a "race weight" version, or a "street weight" version. They also make road-race wheels. The 'street weight" wheels are more about standing up to the occasional pothole hit than lateral strength though. Even the street weight wheels are LIGHT.