Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 39 Ford tranny to open driveline

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by thompsonwayne1, Sep 10, 2015.

1. thompsonwayne1

thompsonwayne1

Got a terrible noise in the driveline of my roadster. 283 engine, 39 ford tranny, model a rear end. A rotating banging sound under load. Took out the wood floor and it sounds like the rear end. I can hold the torque tube and feel the vibration under load when it makes the sound.
    Thinking about installing a ford 9 " rear end with the model a spring and ladderbars.
    How do you make the closed driveline 39 ford tranny an open driveline tranny?
    Thanks

2. IMG_8274.jpg . My advice would be to keep what you have and fix the problem. But if you must change look for about a 1942 to 1948 pickup truck in the junk yard. Dig around a little they are usually behind the deuce coupes. They have an open drive and the transmission has the parts you need. You will need a main shaft, a rear mount with speedometer drive, and a yoke to weld to your driveshaft. Pictures of the first two are shown. You might also check with some of the suppliers and see if they have a kit. The Ford 9 inch may be an excellent rear end but it lacks the "cool" look of a banjo.

Charlie Stephens IMG_8273.JPG

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  3. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

^^^^^^ what Charlie said. I used the same parts out of a '50 panel truck.

4. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

THE DRIVE FOR THE SPEEDO AIMS STRAIGHT UP AND IS A PROBLEM BUT A CLEVER HOT RODDER CAN FIND A SOLUTION TO THIS!!

5. earlyv8

earlyv8
    from oklahoma

FWIW
    I did this to my 32 5 window back in early 70s. I cut the ears off the rear mount/bearing retainer, turned it and fabricated a trans mount to fit the 4 holes in the K member used to mount the brake manifold. I was then able to install speedometer cable without interference.
    Jack

LOU WELLS and oj like this.
  6. Jeeze, if you're going to go to a 9-inch, why keep the trans as the weak link to break next? Even going to like a Saginaw three speed would put you way ahead and you can buy the things for under $100. A T5 would be even better.

7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I guess I'm a little thick. Could you explain this a bit better so an idiot like me could get a better mental picture? Thanks.

8. earlyv8

earlyv8
    from oklahoma

FWIW, I tried to save a virgin frame.
    I took the rear bearing retainer for the open drive trans, turned it so that the speedometer fitting was not pointing straight up, as I remember one hole rotation, and the cable would not fit in a bind. I had cut the trans mount/bearing retainer ears off so that I only had a round bearing retainer. I then cut a piece of angle iron to the general shape of the bearing retainer, drilled holes and put bolts through the angle, through the bearing retainer and attached it to the rear of the transmission. I made this small enough so that it would fit through the large hole in the K member. The trans mount was then on the back side of the K member. I then had a flat surface to bolt an insulated trans mount "similar to Chev" to the bottom of the angle. I then made a second angle piece that bolted to the 4 bolts that held the brake manifold to the center of the K member and but a trans mount between the two angle pieces. Viola, rear trans mount without extra holes, or cutting cross member.
    Worked out well.
    Hope this helps.
    Jack
    Jack

LOU WELLS and bct like this.
  9. oj

oj

Getting a 9" under the 'A' spring is tricky, I believe Dave Havelik (?) 'House of Fab' here on the hamb makes some clever weldon tabs that will get you there. I might have an extra open drive conversion for that trans, shoot me a PM if you can't find one local.
    I think I would get a V8 banjo under it myself, it sounds like you have a very traditional piece and are trying to keep it that way.

10. I agree with you 110% on this. I like the look of a banjo rear end but once you have lost that it makes sense to update the entire drive train.

Charlie Stephens