Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Proportioning valve question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rustytoolss, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

I'm changing my 64 dodge truck to front disc brakes and leaving the rears drums. Since I have a single MC, it is being updated to a dual MC also. The system is NON POWER BRAKES.
    I want to install a proportioning valve (not an adjustable valve).
    My question is... is a proportioning valve for power brakes/ the same as one for non power brakes ?
    I see that summit sells a universal proportioning valve... but does not state if it can be used on a non power system.
    Any know about this .. ?

2. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Power or non-power the PV is the same.
    Why not an adjustable one?

3. rails32

rails32

why not find a Dodge truck with disc brakes and use the valve off that. it was designed by the factory for a truck of simaler size and weight?

BobMcD likes this.
  4. morac41

morac41

Hi It depends on what size the rear wheel cylinders are ..... I usually reduce the rear wheel cylinder to around 3/4"-7/8" and you shouldn't need a PV.........

5. Non-adjustable proportioning valves need to be calibrated to the particular vehicle it goes on, which is why almost all aftermarket units are adjustable. So unless you can find one off a very similar vehicle (front/rear weight bias, tire sizes, brake swept area, etc), trying to substitute something may make your brakes worse. Trucks are particularly tough to do because of the changing rear weight. The new trucks have gone to ABS on the rear axle for this reason.

6. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

What I've got is a 1964 Dodge A100 pickup (think.. little red wagon wheelie drag truck) This is a mostly stockish driver. Don't plan to change anything/ except the brakes. It has a single cylinder MC. I've got plans to update to dual MC and front disc brakes. It should weigh close to 3000lbs. May pull a small popup camper about 1200lbs.
    I'm sure that I would not be able to find a proportioning valve for anything in this day and age that did not have power brakes...I mean EVERYTHING has power disc brakes. So what would you look for , that had non power disc brakes ?????

7. BobMcD

BobMcD

The fluid pressure to each wheel is the same, power or not. Power assist just needs less pedal effort to stop. A proportioning valve for a power application will work.

8. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

I've located a 1987 dodge D150 (full size pickup) unsure of options/weight. Possible close match ?