Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tri five exhaust with fenderwell headers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by midnightrider78, Sep 12, 2015.

1. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I'm getting ready to put exhaust on my 1956 Chevy 150 but am unsure of what I want to do to keep it hidden as much as possible. I have Hooker fenderwell headers on my sbc. I am planning to run 2.5" exhaust which will dump in front of the rearend.
    How close can the exhaust be to the body mounts before I have to worry about weakening/melting the rubber?
    I don't really care for glass packs. What muffler will work best to keep mostly out of sight and hopefully not break the bank? I looked at some Thrush mufflers that were pretty small and very reasonable, but wondered if there may be something better.
    Thanks

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. Porter Mufflers...sounds better than any Thrush

4. buck 32

buck 32
    from Maryland

Try classic chambered exhaust.

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Unless this is a drag car, or a true "poser" gasser style car, I'd stay away from fenderwell headers, especially on a Tri-Five Chevrolet, where there are so many quality brand, under chassis headers available (mine are hooker's). Why cut up the fender wells? There goes the driving in the rain when you get caught out for a drive, and it turns the engine compartment into a mess. That's JMO, and probably won't be too popular, but it's got to the point that these cars are too good to cut up. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. DSC00043.JPG DSC00050.JPG DSC00050.JPG I put these inserts that bolt to the collector, they have baffles. The more baffles the quieter. I use one and it's quiet enough to drive around although I push the clutch in when I meet a cop coming from the opposite direction.
    With these there are no pipes and mufflers to hang. My headers are ceramic coated Sanderson's and it looks clean without a pipe coming off them.

7. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I left the fender wells out altogether. I thought about the driving in the rain, but the way this car is set up I don't think I'll get far enough from home to give the rain much of a chance to catch me off guard.

8. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Do you have a link to get more info about/purchase the inserts?
    I swore I read something recently about there being a down side to using inserts, but it was referencing the inserts in lake style headers so I didn't pay much attention... guess I should have bookmarked it. Any idea what they may have been concerned about?

9. manyolcars

manyolcars

more on the inserts please

10. Midnight Rider - Looking forward to a pic of that '56 150. The 150 models had really unique side spears, love it!
    The inserts I used in my pipes are from Car Chemistry. Had to weld them into the sidepipes prior to welding the bends on them.
    Butch raised a valid point about poser cars. If it gonna look the part, make sure it can walk the walk!

11. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

I built these out of 3" stainless a few years back with magnaflow stainless mufflers. Had a nice sound but pretty load. Not out of site but not in your face either. Ron[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Larry T

Larry T

About using inserts, you won't make many friends with the collectors pointed straight down if you ever get off the pavement.

13. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Sorry no pics but, long tube no-name headers w/2.5 pipes into blown out (old) turbo thrush to reducer to 1 7/8 factory tailpipes. Has a nice BRRRRAPPPP to it but still subtle around town. Carpok has the cleanest setup, just very tidy.

14. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

This a set I built for long tube headers. Same mufflers thou. Ron

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

It should run fairly hard. 500hp 383, super T10 4spd, 4.11 posi, caltracs, no front bumper, no fender aprons, no heater, no back seat, no radio.

chevy57dude likes this.
  16. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Very sharp '55!

17. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I hadn't considered that. Good point.

18. Larry T

Larry T

Voice of experience from pitting in the dirt at the races in the Anglia - dust, sand, pebbles, grass, insects, small mammals, and slow turtles all end up blowing around and getting into everything.

19. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Wow, a full year and I still haven't done anything about the exhaust(other than order mufflers). I guess I got sidetracked by wiring, interior and lots of non-auto related bs that came my way. Oh well, no one ever claimed it was easy(life or our hobby). So I was all set to have a pair of pipes bent and now I am back to thinking of using the inserts mentioned above. After all, the only time this car may see an unpaved surface is pulling off on the shoulder if I have a flat or am preparing to make a U-turn.
    I remember on the few cars we had with open headers Dad always told me to cap/plug the exhaust when I shut the car down. He said this was to prevent the heat from escaping too quickly and potentially screwing up the valves.
    My question is this: Is this a legitimate concern? If so, do these baffles alleviate that concern?

20. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Old wives tale about open exhaust causing damage to valves. Look at all the exclusive race cars that never get "capped up". I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

falcongeorge likes this.
  21. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

That's what I was hoping to hear.

22. Utahvette

Utahvette

The solution I used was to run the exhaust out of the side of the collector and then between the frame rails. I wanted the exhaust to be hidden as much as possible and not block the view of the ladder bars that I wanted to draw attention to. And with a simple T bar welded across the opening of the collector that locates a 1/4 inch stud in the center of the opening and a round cap held on with a single nut, open headers are literally one minute away. CIMG8521.JPG CIMG8627.JPG CIMG8614.JPG

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    benchseat4speed, 41 coupe and rod1 like this.