Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kentucky street racers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Conder, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Conder

Conder

Anybody out there from Dixie Hiway? There were a few guys who ran on the street in Valley Station in the early 80's. Freddie Hook with an ex-gas record holder '32 Ford five window. Unchopped, black lacquer, screamin' tunnel rammed small block chev and cragar ss wheels. Mike Bickle, orange and white '55 210, cragars, screamin' small block chev. Called the "Refugee". He owned a used car lot and always seemed to have an ex-gas '55 with a straight axle for sale on his lot.

We ran our junkers up and down Dixie every night hopin' to catch one or both of these guys out. I can still see that coupe rolling to a light, slowly bouncin' on wrinklewall slicks....@#$%in' BAD.

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. rebstew187

rebstew187

the name Mike Bickle rings a bell but not for sure.I have a few friends that live over there they may know him.we use to run across the big mac til they put cameras up on it.now we use aa highway if need be..who are you where you from what do you drive?just wondering

3. Conder

Conder

Tim Conder, from in or around Louisville, I drive/ride this stuff...nice to meet ya. I @#$%in' miss kentucky.

Attached Files:

4. Joe King

Joe King

You ride all that stuff?

5. Did ya'all ever see this Kn'tucky street racer?
    Sam.

Attached Files:

6. jangleguy

jangleguy

One day while passing through Louisville, I found myself at a stoplight next to a chopped Morris Minor! Ended up out at the guys house - he was a Toyota mechanic (if I remember right) and I think his name was Freddy Hook! At the house he had a blown Morris and about a dozen more in the back yard. He talked about some wild stuff he used to have...Could this be the same guy? This was about '87 or so............A cosmic Conder connection???

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. Conder

Conder

THAT is the guy. I forgot he was huge into Morris Minors. His '32 used to be an Olds powered gasser that he put on the street. It used to weird me out a little that he seemed to like those cars more than his coupe (This was before I realized all hot rodders are nuts).

I talked to him a few years back and he told me he turned that '32 into a mustang II front end street rod. This car was WOOLY man. No front brakes, chrome all underneath, FOUR SPEED. Rumor had it he'd drive it to Ohio Valley raceway, uncork the headers and run 6s in the eighth mile. All the lacquer was cracked from the frame twistin' on it. What a @#$%in' HOT ROD.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. Conder

Conder

.....not all of it, I'm married now.

9. jangleguy

jangleguy

10. Conder

Conder

11. jangleguy

jangleguy

I'm pretty nervous about driving my fuelers man, but I've seen your cars....Crazy insane bad motherf.............Does that thing try to flip over on it's roof when you whack the throttle? @#$% yeah![/QUOTE]

Well, I guess my cars are kinda nuts, but I snuck up on the current power level slowly, over a period of years, so there was no big dramatic adjustment to make with driving them. However, last season I drove the 7-11 coupe, and THAT thing could just about flip itself over with a blip of the throttle! Learning to drive that thing made me a little "nervous" (understatement)...It's currently torn down, after we discovered it was WAY out of square, and several chassis components were "not quite right" - it should be a little easier to drive this year...

Of course, this has nothing to do with Kentucky street racers, so I'll let you get back to that...............

12. Conder

Conder

"I snuck up on the current power level slowly,"

?????....boy, maybe I should've thought of that....BACK TO WORK!!!!!

13. rebstew187

rebstew187

I think thats the guy that blew my doors off last weekend ,LOL

14. Conder

Conder

The "Hooker" and the "Refugee"...these two cars were out there somewhere while the rest of us were caught in the recession world of Vegas and Pintos. I was lucky, I traded around and had a '72 Chevelle. We'd drive around hopin' for a chance to run one of these guys, (knowing we'd get stomped) just to say we did it.

Attached Files:

enloe likes this.
  15. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

17's ina quarta bitch

16. Conder

Conder

"There'zat BADASS CHEVY agin"...

My dad's got a '55 business coupe. It used to be the "Go Go Car" back in the day. She started life as a company vehicle for Phillip Morris, eventually being built into a drag car. I bought the wasted shell 20 years later for 400 bucks back in '86 when I was in the army. Him and my little brother built it to running condition in '92 for $1300, scavenging parts off of about 15 dead chevys from Farmer Lollies property across the road.

It'll run low 8s at the Ohio Valley 1/8th mile all day long. That's in the middle of a 98 degree Kentucky summer, without breakin' any parts. He can drive it to the store or 150 miles away to visit Uncle Guy and Aunt Delores. It'll flat scare the f@#$in' shit out of you if you pull second and ain't pointed somewhat in the direction you'd like to go.

Life is good.

17. Damn, that's one fine ride. The bike's not bad either :D

18. Joe King

Joe King

makes me want my cheby again

19. partsman59

partsman59

Freddy Hook still works in the body shop at Toyota of Louisville on Dixie Hiway . I use to work with him he can be seen driving his little black Morris Miner up and down Dixie and he also has a nice Harley. I may be wrong but I beleive the "Hooker" is still sitting in the back corner of his garage. I also remember the "Bounty Hunter" 63 ford that ran round about the same time and it also is sitting in the back corner of a garage in Valley Station off Dixie hiway.

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

21. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Any pics of the cars?
    Jay

22. I was born and raised in the South End of Louisville near Iroquois Park. We used to frequent Dixie Highway all the time, and used to go Ohio Valley as often as we could. I had a pretty stout '69 Camaro back then. Grey primered with a 302 and a 4-speed. I went into the military in '81. Man, I miss that place.

GREAT place to grow up as a kid. Cruising Iroquois Park, racing on 'Dixie, partying at Rough River and Nolin on the weekends. I'll have enough points to retire in 6 years, and I'm blowing out of this California cesspool. California has great weather, an incredible car scene, and beautiful scenery, but it's ran by complete freakin' idiots. Kentucky and Tennessee are at the top of the list for me.

hotrodtodd1960 likes this.
  23. I've heard stories of the '32 but have no first hand info. A friend of mine had been trying to buy one that fits the description but haven't heard much lately. The Bickle guy sounds very familiar but then haveing lived here all of my life (67 years old) there aren't many I haven't heard. When the weather breaks and we are on the streets again we can solve the riddle after a couple of cruise nights. I live @3miles from Dixie. Tim

24. George Cook

George Cook

freddies 32.jpg
    just an update for you guys,Freddie Hook is setting here with me,the 32 is under construction as we speak,he said to say that he DID NOT put mustang parts in it,lol im gonna post a drawing for you guys i think conder did of the 32, thanks guys,freddie enjoyed reading of his antics from earlier years.GC

volvobrynk and AHotRod like this.
  25. AHotRod

AHotRod

What changes are you making to the Coupe?

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. I talked to a friend of mine today about a '32 5 window he worked on for someone a couple of years ago. The car owner lived in Taylorsville and had a different last name than any of you guys. This 5 window came out of Fairdale and was I believe, an original, as in not hot rodded car. Riddle not solved. Matter of fact, it adds a new dimension. Another 5 window we either didn't know about or have forgotten. Also, there was a turquoise 5 window in the west end back in the late fifties. It had a Hemi in it and was full fendered. I believe it belonged to a guy named Gizzy Keown? Haven't seen it since.

27. carguy699

carguy699

I believe that bickle brothers auto sales is still in business at west point on the Dixie. every now and then I see a street rod for sale there.

28. Conder

Conder

I JUST saw this! Thank you George and Freddie for posting this drawing!!!!!!!!

29. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

Hmm... Saw the thread title and being a Ky street racer, had to open it.... must have been a great time to be into it.... now street racing for the most part, is just late model Mustangs, Camaro's and those foreign cars... Of coarse they are a lot faster now though.. couple of the street racers around here are running 8's in the 1/4....