Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pontiac 1939 coupe/business coupe body shape.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by judder_man, Sep 12, 2015.

1. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Is there no difference in the body shape on the Pontiac business coupe and the regular coupe? I know there are body changes on other models. The Dodge etc having the smaller rear window longer trunk etc after searching google I cannot find any 39 Pontiac differences to make comparison.

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I don't know about 1939 Pontiacs, but later Chevrolets referred to the "business coupe" as one with no back seat and minimal trim. the bodies were the same. as far as I know there is only one coupe body for 1939 Pontiac.

judder_man likes this.
  3. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Yeah, thanks. That's kinda what I thought. I recently bought a Pontiac that was advertised as a business coupe but it does just look like the rear seat is missing. However it doesn't look like there was much room for a rear seat. I also have a 39 Dodge business coupe. This has a much longer trunk and smaller rear window to the standard coupe and there is no room at all for a rear bench as it has a locker box that goes straight into the trunk.

4. Pontiac made 3 different coupe bodies in '39. The "chev" body was the 25 series, the "Pontiac/Olds" body was 28 [or 27] series and the big boy was the Buick/Caddy" size body which was a 29 series. A business coupe was more likely to be a 25 series based on the little chevy body. The data plate on the firewall will tell you which series it is....I doubt the 29 series had a business coupe..
    Here is a photo of my buddy's 27/28 series coupe. dars39pontiac.jpg dars39atjimmys.jpg

5. 40chevnewrearseat.jpg And the chevy business coupes had the gas tank on the back floor where the back seat would have been with the filler in the quarter panel...if the car had a seat [not a business coupe] the filler was in the fender and the tank was below the trunk floor. I have to assume Pontiac was the same if it was a 25 series body, like the chevy.
    This photo is a business coupe with the original back wall and gas tank...see the protective gas filler panel in front of the wheel well? That's business coupe only. Photo is too dark to actually see the tank mounted on the back floor but it's there.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  6. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Ok, thanks for the images. I have the rear fender fuel cap. I believe looking at your images that ir is the 25 body but will check my tag. Maybe I am just missing a rear bench. but it does look tight in there. My buddy is importing a 25 series chevy so I should be able to take a good look at that in a few weeks.

7. 40chevygasser.jpg Judder.......the 25 series came both ways, a business coupe and a standard [club?] coupe with a back seat. The easiest was to tell is the gas filler hole in the right quarter panel. Hole means business coupe, no hole means it's not a business coupe.This is a 1940 chev business coupe but the 39/40 bodies for chev/25 series Pontiac were basically the same...differences in the floor pan from chev to Pontiac but we're not talking about those differences and conversation about it just muddies the water.

8. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Thanks again for the info, that's kinda what I thought initially about the Fuel filler but The car was sold to me as a business. Tbh, I'm not bothered either way. What struck me as odd if the car was not originally a business, the rear of the car is trimmed different to the front of the car. It doesn't look like its retro fit either. but I could be wrong..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

found a press release photo showing the deluxe model seat with the rear trimmed same as the front.

[​IMG]

10. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Ok, I recon I have my head around it now. Having pulled the interior from my car today I noticed a few things.

[​IMG]

The seat backs match the rear door cards meaning the rear trim is not retro fit.
    I believe the car not to be a business coupe but a base model 2 seater car. It would appear to get a rear seat and to have the rear factory trimmed you would need to buy a Deluxe model.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  11. rwruther

rwruther
    from Michigan

I think the deluxe 39 (frame a bit longer) and gas cap on the left rear fender.

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy