Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '32 Shell On A Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Muttley, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Muttley

Muttley

My Dad is kicking around the idea of putting a '32 shell on his Model A and I'm wondering what exactly needs to be done to accomplish this? I'm guessing relocate the filler neck on the radiator, trim a little off the sides of the new shell and bend the headlight bar a little. Is there anything else? Will the stock 'A' hood fit the new shell or will it need to be modified? Who makes the best new shell & insert? I heard someone makes a Model A dropped headlight bar that is shaped to fit the '32 shell, anyone know who that is?

Here's the car in case you're interested..............

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Well,I'll bump this for a knowing answer.

3. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The stock headlight bar won't clear the 32 grill. I wouldn't change that particular car it's perfect as is in my opinion.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Minor but keep in mind the A had a rod for the center hood hinge and the deuce had a formed stainless piece, naturally they take different attachment mounts. On the deuce radiator in my deuce I have a block off for the water filler with a pressure cap under the hood. I added an original cap with a strap to retain it. Then of course you could just fill the radiator shell.

Charlie Stephens

5. swifty

swifty

That's a sweet looking coupe. I like to see Model A's with their original grill shell and nearly everyone wants their Model A to be a 32, but that's just me.

6. That little A looks way to nice to mess with!!:D

yruhot and JB_roadrage like this.
  7. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

You didn't ask for opinions but it does look awful nice as is.

yruhot and clem like this.
  8. You didn't ask but I would leave it as is,a deuce shell wouldn't make the car look any better and IMHO would distract from it.

And this is coming from a hard core Deuce nut! HRP

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'd do the deuce grill shell, but then, I'm kinda behind the times...

yruhot likes this.
  10. clem

clem

Possibly speedway motors that make the specific headlight bar, I have seen it advertised. I think the guards/fender mounting is slightly different angle. Google search......
    I too would not change the grille, but I would consider chroming the windsheild surround.
    Not that you asked for our opinions !
    Nice car though.

yruhot likes this.
  11. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

go with the 32 shell and dropped light bar. it would look killer

1927graham likes this.
  12. A Rodder

A Rodder

I vote for the change!

13. A Rodder

A Rodder

I think you have the list of the mods down.

I bought a vintiques shell and a dales insert. With crank hole.

Seems good quality but not on the road yet.

14. manyolcars

manyolcars

Please tell us exactly how the rear is suspended. Spring, shocks anything not stock. Thanks

It used to be a common hotrod trick to put on the 32 shell/grille but I dont see it much any more and will do it to mine just because they used to do it like that. I dont remember seeing any dropped headlight bars in the 1950s or 60s. Isnt that a street rod thing from the 70s? as I recall, we just bent the stock bar out to clear the grille

15. cretin

cretin

I don't know exactly what the swap takes. Vintiques makes a good shell. What's he going to do with the A shell? I could use one.

16. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

There are now more '32 rad shells than '32 Fords produced.
    They're like belly buttons.
    Leave that car the way it is.

17. manyolcars

manyolcars

I bet you dont like SBCs either

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yea, NOBODY put small block chevies in their hot rods back in the day. Hell in 1958, Theyda pulled that crap rocker arm motor out an' replaced it with a flatty, on account o' how they were all bad-azz, an' kickin' it ol' skool!:D

hipster, kiwijeff, RICH B and 2 others like this.
  19. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

The coupe is just too cool the way it is!

20. Muttley

Muttley

HAHA, I knew this would get a lot of "don't do it!" posts.

As far as I can tell Speedway doesn't sell a dropped/A-'32 shell headlight bar. They do have a dropped Model A bar listed but it says in their description that it wont work with a '32 shell without extensive modification.

It has a de-arched spring with a couple (I'm not exactly sure how many) leafs removed. The stock shocks were replaced with modern tube shocks that I mounted with this kit.

Probably going to hang it on the garage wall, but if he decides to let it go I'll get a hold of you.

21. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Pulled this pic off the net. I like the look but not so much with wires. An unchopped coupe with steel wheels takes on a new look. Beautiful A by the way. 6981921300_ab36fbd47c.jpg

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

One thing for sure, if he is going to go to the Deuce grill shell, he needs to change the headlights as well, Arrows or King Bees. Its either traditional, or neo-traditional, I wouldn't mix and match. I vote traditional. Then if you really want to change it up do 15" steel wheels with either Fiestas or Merc ash cans, and by swapping the grill shell, headlights and wheels, you will have Two...two...two hot rods in one.:p
    Or you could go mid sixties, and run the deuce shell and small headlights with a wheel\tire combo like Land Sea & Air has on his Vicky...;):cool:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  23. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

24. Squablow

Squablow

The radiator on my roadster was made for an A shell but I swapped to a '32 commercial grille and the '32 rad cap opening lines up fine, uses the A rad cap, not sure if you'd need to relocate it unless your shell is filled, although I don't run a hood.

I'm told the 30-31 hood will fit the '32 shell if you re-bend the top a little, supposedly you can do it by hand, and you have to notch the bottom of the '32 shell to fit over the A crossmember, then modify the headlight bar to stick out further forward for clearance.

25. A 32 hood just happens to be 32" long if that helps. HRP

26. X-2 I'd do the deuce grill shell, hot rodders do what they want, shouldn't need to ask what others think!!

kidcampbell71 and kiwijeff like this.
  27. 32owner

32owner

check this out mine has a 35 chevy dare to be different IMG_20150804_134622359_HDR (2).jpg $_57 (24).JPG

28. Muttley

Muttley

Well, here it is all mocked up and ready to be blown apart one more time for paint. I spent a couple of hours this afternoon getting everything to fit as good as I could.......................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Daisy supervised and apparently approves....................

[​IMG]

29. Daisy has here priorities in check=Kickin' and supervising! Good call Daisy= You did well. Looks Good.

yruhot likes this.
  30. bct

bct

Nice look on a nice car.

yruhot likes this.