Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 Ford 5w top wood questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by papastrk, Sep 12, 2015.

1. papastrk

papastrk

I have a 1932 Ford 5 window that I am trying to replace my top opening wood and have questions about install. When I pulled the old wood there looked to be some sort of sealer between the top metal and the wood. What should I use when I go back with the new wood? Also, there was a thin piece of cloth or felt on the bottom face of the front perimeter piece of wood. What should I use here? Any help is much appreciated. I don't want to screw this up! Thanks

2. rexrogers

rexrogers

I have had good luck using glass setting tape the rubber cork stuff, usually put a few staples to hold it in place. the majority of the time i haven't put the cloth piece back in the front area, but cheesecloth has worked. the main thing is for the top bows that what ever you use will seal up against the steel when you screw and nail the top back on.

3. papastrk

papastrk

Thanks for the reply Rex. The glass setting tape sounds much better than a sealer. Is the cheese cloth just to aid in sliding the front piece in?

4. The reason to use a cloth type material in the front area in my opinion is to prevent squeaking. HRP

5. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Loud exhaust you will never hear it ! No just kidding I put canvas tape on mine I found at hobby lobby I think they use it for mounting canvas on picture frames ,worked and had sticky on one side

6. papastrk

papastrk

I had considered squeaking as a possible cause. I really need something to help me get a tighter fit as the new wood is a little thinner. I will look for the canvass tape and cheesecloth should be easy to find. Is the rubber cork glass setting tape a 1/16" thickness or should I use a thicker tape? Thanks