Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects This A's the one...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by BiscayneBrain, Sep 7, 2015.

1. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

Starting to look a little more like a hotrod. I took the front and rear bumpers off along with the spare tire carrier. Lost a 100#'s to boot. Still have to replace the motometer with a proper cap and take off that horn. What do you guys recommend for a horn?
    After a little more research I'm going to stay with 550 tires up front. DSCN0650.JPG DSCN0652.JPG DSCN0654.JPG

waxhead likes this.
  2. Nice coupe! Here is some inspiration for you... image.jpg

3. classic gary

classic gary

On or off the car, KEEP the fenders. I kick myself every day for selling mine.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Regarding horn, I've seen a guy with a T bucket run a vintage Harley, for the good looks and sound.

But any vintage horn should look good, and non stock smaller head lights. Will really improve the era correct look.

And if you can afford to keep em(fenders), keep em! It looks good.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  5. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

x2 on the vintage Harley horn

hipster likes this.
  6. cfmvw

cfmvw

That's a very clean and original car! Anything that you remove from the car, save it and store it; should you change your mind, the parts will be there to reinstall, and if you sell it someday, it would be worth more as a complete vehicle.

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

When I started my coupe I saved all the parts I took off and kept them separate from the rest of my model A junk. You never know if you might feel like putting them back on. I built the frame for my car and kept the running gear. I did break it down for easier storage. I thought instant speedster project.

Outback likes this.
  8. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more inspiration. Just poking the lion with a stick. hahaha! That thing could be so freaking bad!

kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have to say that your coupe is far too nice to strip down into a fenderless hot rod.
    I can see building a fenderless A starting with a rough body and a frame, but a car like yours just begs for an updated chassis and drivetrain and being kept almost like it is with the full fenders.
    Think nice low stance and a hot flathead etc. etc. :cool:

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. Those look like Kelsey wires. They'll look good with those tires you bought. Just stick a 4" dropped axle under it for the "LOOK".
    I'm with the full fender crowd on this one. If you've got nice straight original fenders, proudly show them off.
    If you really have to pull the bumpers off, shoot me a price. I'd love to have originals on my 30.

11. Here's my argument for fenders. All I've done is wheels and tires. When I rebuild the brakes this winter it will get a reverse eye spring to close some of the fender gap
    [​IMG]
    Before wheels and tires:
    [​IMG]
    A comparison of my car to a buddies car that has a similar stance as your current one:
    [​IMG]
    One more just because :) :)
    [​IMG]

12. 54reno

54reno

Please don't take the fenders off. To nice!

13. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting how “start with the best car you can” so often turns into “that car is to good to mess with.” :D

After three tries, it sounds like you’ve got a pretty clear handle on what turns your crank. I say go ahead and removed the fenders if that’s your vision. Same goes for the banger. Hang onto them if you don’t need the cash and have a place to store them.

Keep in mind, if you do this hobby long enough and hang onto every part somebody tells you to save, you’ll eventually be kicking parts out of the way just to close the bathroom door.

14. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

I got a little work done on it over the weekend. Please give me some ideas on a license plate light and frame. I'd like to mount it between the tail lights.
    DSCN0660.JPG DSCN0661.JPG DSCN0655.JPG

15. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

16. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

17. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

to all you buncha wankers that wanted him to keep the fenders on...:p

[​IMG]

18. Looks pretty good sans the fenders. HRP

19. I'm with you on this one Larry !

Next they will be telling him it not to chop it, it's too nice.

TweedDeluxe and 3wLarry like this.
  20. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

License plate mount . . .

Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 9.13.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 9.15.43 AM.png

Ash in OZ, kiwijeff and DeLuxe 32 like this.
  21. Fire Fox

Fire Fox

This is awesome!

22. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

Thanks guys for the positive comments. I'm really happy with the way it looks. Just need to get it lower but that'll have to wait. I'm just going to drive it as is for the rest of the season.

My plans are to largely follow the Tardel book in stages as I always want to be able to use it for the summer and I'm learning as I'm going. This winter the car will at least get juice brakes as I already have some 40 ford brakes. I wouldn't mind installing the 39 toploader I have either. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. I'd also like to get a new front axle and would like a 33-36. Unfortunately I sold a super nice one I had and haven't located a replacement. If you have one let me know. I've scored some other parts but will get into that later. The engine is definitely going to be a flatty.

As far as the license plate bracket I do like the ones on Pete's Midnight special and Joeyesmen's cars but have no idea what they are off of.

23. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I still thinking that he should keep the fenders, but only because it's high as a kite and not lowered. (I know high as a kite is something else too, but it was the first that came to my mind)

It just look odd to me this way.
    At least put in some de-arched and reversed eyed springs in it. Maybe a dropped axle.

But it does look good with out fenders, but a coupe with fenders tucking the tires ain't bad. Just saying, and not a stocker either.
    This is just a new can of worms opened. Like do you want a tall high boy wit no fenders and under coating on the wheel wells.
    But that's just me.

Hellbentrodder likes this.
  24. trailerpark

trailerpark

25. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I too prefer my Fenders in a old thermometer case.
    Nice A

26. SimonSez

SimonSez

27. mike bowling

mike bowling

Lots of FTF guys on here! I'm of the mindset that IF you take them off, DON'T sell them! You can always get more money; you'll have a bitch of a time getting a full set of primo fenders. ( re-pops suck, and fiberglass is for boats).
    Another .02 cents worth.

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. Look up Hollywood accessory lights

29. If you can get yours to sit a little lower like this one, you'll be on a winner.

Definitely gotta get me a Model A coupe one of these days.

30. 32owner

32owner