Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods drink holders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by revkev6, Sep 10, 2015.

1. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

hey guys, I never liked them in any hotrod/custom but I drive my roadster to work more than any other place and I ALWAYS have a coffee in my hand. what do you guys use. I'm guessing there must be some sort of secret society of hotrodders that has some sort of temporary cupholder?? maybe a small cooler/lunchbox with cupholder built in?? toolbox with a hole in the top?? IDEAS before I spill coffee all over my white interior!

2. greenone

greenone

I have no pics (of course) , but I ebayed a rear seat cup holder from a '98-'02 dodge extended cab truck. It mounted in the back of the center console of the dodge and it's retractable. I popped the bench seat out, welded a bracket on the bottom and bolted the cup holder to it. I can reach under the seat and pull it out for two drink places, then hide it away when I don't need it. Might be a space issue with a manual transmission?

volvobrynk and blowby like this.
  3. Roll of duct tape, on carpeted floor works well. Silver duct tape is traditional. That's important, ya know...

4. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Works great
    I use Gorilla tape to match the black carpet

Hotdoggin DaddyO and OL 55 like this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A roll of duct tape would be traditional and dual purpose.
    Actually someone ought to make them that look like those under dash tissue holders our grandmothers (at least mine) had in their cars in the 50's . My Gram even had hers transferred from her 54 Sedan to her 61 Wagon when she traded cars.

Model T1 and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Wow, those are great ideas!

Subscribed!

7. I hold mine between my knees like I have for the last 45 or so years. LOL

Tell what I like and see them in a hot rod once in a h while is the marine ones that look like a little hanging basket. Let me see if I can find a pic. Yep found one, they make them with a single pivot point though that just look old and hot roddy if you shop around..

[​IMG]

8. With a four speed and So Cal traffic, I can't mess with a cup. But, cars with a slushbox can.

IADodge likes this.
  9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

10. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Wait until you get to work and then:
    • Make coffee at your work station
    • Walk to the corner mart

11. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

find a large enough connecting rod, that your cup will fit. heat it up and bend it to shape (to fit in the area you need)..

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Me either, but my wife won't leave home without it. Her cup has a hook like handle though that fits nicely over the edge of the pickup bed, and you can reach it from the seat. Actually you can reach the tailgate from the seat..

13. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I just use one of those cheap plastic hanger deals that goes in the window channel. One of these days I'll figure something better, but that has worked for years

14. SixtyFord

SixtyFord

15. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

16. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'll consider the thread on topic for the fact that it's commonplace and encouraged to stay hydrated on long trips in the car, and it sucks to spill drinks on nice upholstery.

Hnstray, patmanta and volvobrynk like this.
  17. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Show me the rule that says hot rods can't have cup holders...!!!

R-

volvobrynk and da34guy like this.
  18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

No, that's after colostomy bag holder.

19. They claim that you can't stay hydrated with coffee, but can't prove it by me. ;)

I don't know that cup holders are On topic for the board or off topic. in my mind I think that they are a good idea, but like I said I hold mine between my knees (even if I am driving a stick). It has been mentioned that I have a cup of coffee in my hand 24 hours a day. I am not sure that is true but I do walk in my sleep so how would I know. :D

20. I did a tech thread on my ElCamino interior, and there is more details on the making of the Screaming Robot cup holder using Impala tail lights.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Boring day at the HAMB????????

X38, lurker mick and da34guy like this.
  22. Yes it is. nothing is moving.

23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]Here's one...use as is in a hotrod, add remote controlled electric motor for streetrod.
    Seriously, like most posting here I like cupholders, but I'm far too neurotically Truman-administration to just get one and put it in.
    I look in my ancient JC Whitney catalog, right around Winky the Cat, and don't like the very few vintage ones I see.
    I look in Amazon, mostly for design ideas as all ten million of the ones they show look wrong.
    There are several pull-out ones that are mostly replacement parts for VW and other spike-head cars which would be easy to hide in a real car, but of course look like hell when deployed.
    [​IMG]
    Then there are a few designs that look like they could be replicated in tin and look right...look at this thing:
    I saw one just like it, but home made by savagely bashing some tin, in a '50's IH truck once. It looked right, and functional as well, bolted in low on the door.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Seems to be the only brand marked "Multi-use"...I guess the others can't be used for drinks.

Model T1 likes this.
  24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

some people have a built in cup holder:confused:

[​IMG]

patmanta, kiwijeff, Model T1 and 2 others like this.
  25. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

^^^^^^^^
    Gaaaaaa! where is the eye bleach when you need it!

26. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

LMFAO !!!

27. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

hmm... I like the duct tape idea.. I will have to see if my current cup fits

can't manage the between the knees approach in my 28... just not enough room.. especially when I have to hit the clutch and go from the 1" off the floor gas pedal to the 5" off the floor break......... i've been shifting nice and slow with two fingers on the shifter and the rest on the cup... but sometimes I'd just like to set it down someplace!

thats pretty fucking wild! nothing that would fit in my cars but cool as hell!

28. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

29. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

That's what I use. $1.97 for three at Walmart.

30. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

You dated Belinda too?

57tailgater and tb33anda3rd like this.