Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Hot Rod Hill Climb Road Trip

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rtsidejohnny, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Are Hot Rod Hill Climb dates set for 2016?

2. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Hey everybody...once again, THANK YOU GUYS for coming along with US! It's been great to know you've been enjoying the thread and tons of fun for us to read ALL the comments and have you all along for the ride!! I've got a couple more posts to go and I'll dig up a few more pics for ya.

So TigerFan here's what we took.
    image.jpg
    Basic tool box
    image.jpg
    2 bottle jacks (used both to flip front tires), breaker bar, tarp (came in REAL handy), starter solenoid was in too box
    image.jpg
    Fluid crate...gas, oil, gear oil, water, inner tube, fix-a-flat, tape, towels
    image.jpg
    Fire extinguisher up front, jumper cables under gas tank.
    I would have taken spare fan belts and complete distributor if I'd known sooner we were going to drive the whole way! Next time.

Also just in case we got stuck in the middle of nowhere I threw in a small tent, 2 old heavy horse blankets, sleeping pads/chairs , small cooler, and a beech umbrella!
    image.jpg
    We each had a small bag of clothes/ sundries and jackets. That's about it!
    Johnny

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  3. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

El Hueso, it's an early 20's oval model T tank, 10 gal. We'd try to fill up about every 100 miles but can make 130-140 if need be. The '49 overheated in traffic leaving town (never did that before. It's always been super reliable and has been on many long road trips) then the starter failed. Not a big deal but the overheating made us loose confidence in towing. The RPU is my daily driver so it seamed smarter at the time to just take it. Worked out OK.
    image.jpg

Not that I'm aware of...but I'm sure gonna keep my ears open for them!

Johnny

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    kidcampbell71, Jeff34 and benke like this.
  4. DC40

DC40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for letting us follow you on this trip. I have enjoyed reading about your travel's and photos.

5. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I feel that the RPU will go down in history(at least in our community) and be remembered long after Johny and Suzi have made their renowned trip. This real-time tale resonates in the soul of the many who dream of what it is like to experience such timeless and invigorating adventures, such romanticism.

6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

How many sorta' similar trips were taken this summer that we don't know about? You two did such a good job with pictures and dialogue.

gas pumper likes this.
  7. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

NO lawn chairs, no car duster, no BS! I love it!

An epic trip. Something more people should do with their cars.

8. jhutch

jhutch

Great read and pics! I hope to bump into you guys sometime when the wife and I are up in your neck of the woods!

9. jw johnston

jw johnston

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1441846958.526332.jpg

Man what an awesome road trip. Your your roadster pickup reminds me of mine! I have the same gas tank in mine as well. I only wish my little banger would make a trip like that.

Jeff34 and ROCKER77 like this.
  10. TigerFan

TigerFan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Athens, GA

Thanks! I hope to take a similarly epic trip someday. It was great of you to share.

You had a powerful, positive, effect on a number of people with your story.

11. That's Kool, Johnny, sounds like a good time Brendan

12. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello Johnny & Suzi;
    I would also like to thank you very much for posting this thread. Through your lens, and commentary, you have taken all of us along for an awesome ride! Reading thru the thread, I was reminded of stories from my Mom and Dad on their trips to El Mirage to run there. Getting there and back, along with the people you meet along the way, is what it's all about. Major "Kuddo's" to the BOTH of you!! Thank you again.

13. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

It was a gas Brendan! Hope to see you and that nice banger tomorrow for "Redbeard"s Nor-Cal Reliability Run!!

14. Pics of this event too please:cool::D JW

15. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Great looking truck JW! You just need a taller radiator! lol kidding, looks like you have a 28/29 shell...I've thought of using that, great look. I'm working on a 28 banger powered roadster right now. Hopefully it'll make a trip like this some day too. Keep at it!

Thanks jhutch. Give me a shout anytime. Sometimes we even get to Marin!

You guys aren't tired of my pics yet?! I'm driving solo without suzi's help on this one... but I'll do my best!

Thanks again every one!! Really appreciate all the nice thoughts!
    Johnny

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  16. Never get tied of your cool pics and commentary. :D JW

17. NOAH324

NOAH324

Awesome stuff guys - thanks for taking the time to work up the amazing commentary and photos!
    Let's get together soon,
    Noah

18. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Heres a link to the Nor-Cal Reliability Run thread put up by Craig (thanks Craig!) with pics too!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/northern-california-reliability-run.990757/#post-11160863

This run is put on by Dave (Redbeard here on the HAMB) He does an awesome job setting these up and they are ALWAYS a gas. Thanks Dave, much appreciated!!
    You know a big reason we could make a drive out to the Hill Climb in the rpu is because of runs like this Reliability Run. We're fortunate to have a number of friends who drive their hot-rods almost every day and are always there to help keep them on the road when needed. Most were on this run yesterday, and I'm proud to drive with them and call a bunch of them my friends! Thanks guys! And again thanks to Dave for being part of that group AND for putting on these Reliability Runs!!

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Get out and drive your Hot-Rods!!
    Johnny

kidcampbell71 and Jeff34 like this.
  19. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Noooooaaaaahh!
    Good to hear from you and thanks, glad you're enjoying the thread! Yes, let's DO get together soon!
    Johnny

20. Thanks Johnny, that looks like the coolest fun. I have wanted to go on one of these runs f0r the past 40 years. :cool::cool::D JW

21. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Woodiemike,
    At the risk of getting to mushy I want to thank you for your comment about our thread! Your thread "Lakes pictures. P. R. C." is one of my ALL TIME faverite threads!! I go back and re-read it often. The pictures and family history is/are amazing, and a constant inspiration for me. To be compared to your mom and dad and the life that they documented so well is a HUGE honor. Mike, thank you for that. And thank you again for safe keeping your families history and for sharing it with us all!
    Mikes thread:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/lakes-pictures-p-r-c.943878/
    And one of my faverite pics!
    image.jpg
    Thank you again WoodieMike!
    Johnny

22. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello Johnny & Suzi;
    Thank you for the kind words regarding my thread. Obviously you have followed along on the thread. In saying so, you also know that one of my main objectives was to give people period information, inspiration, motivation, and any other boost to continue the "Hot Rodding" way of life. You my friend....have definitely take that to another level!! I feel very satisfied that you use my thread for inspiration! That is what I could only hope for. Through the both of you, a lot of us lived vicariously on the trip. You both did what so many of us would love to be able to do. I thank you again for the pictures, and commentary. When I seen your RPU, I immediately thought of my Dad's. I sincerely hope the both of you have many more trip's to take us along on the ride. Happy and safe Hot Rodding!!
    Mike

scan0053.jpg

23. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Thank you Mike, VERY much, from both of us! And you're very welcome, we'll keep doing our best.

Suzi and I out with family and friends yesterday evening.
    image.jpg
    Stay in touch Mike!
    Cheers, Johnny

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome........;)

rtsidejohnny likes this.
  25. Hey Johnny, you made it into New Zealand Hot Rod magazine !!:cool:. There was a feature on the Hill Climb which included this pic. I can send you a copy if interested.
    :DJW.
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and Legends47 like this.
  26. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Johny is it ok if I inquire about the the status of a grill shell?

27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

It's cool to have your credentials touted by a far away rodding publication but with no mention of our favorite "Hot Rod Girl"? That's just wrong! :eek: Watch out Johnny you'll be headed down the Lonesome Road of Sorrow, Traveling the Highway of Tears.:rolleyes:

28. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

JW, thanks for posting that up! What a gas!! You know we had breakfast that first day in Georgetown with Craig and Paul (very nice guys!) from N. Z. and I would bet they are responsible, thanks guys!

I was in New Zealand many years ago and loved it. Sometime soon, Suzi and I may just have to make a trip down there and drive around with you guys!! Thanks again JW.
    Cheers!
    (and I'd love a copy of the mag...I'll be in touch, thx!)

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  29. Rubens Jr

Rubens Jr

Awesome history and pics. This is the stuff we live for.

30. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Shure Runnin shine, ask away!
    You probubly want to know why there isn't one...right?
    To keep it simple, I had the 32 radiator already, so I used it when I first got the rpu on the road just to get it running. I had (maybe have) the intention of putting a shortend radiator and shell on it. But you know what...the more I drove it around that way, the more I liked it! To me, it has that "jalopy" look, sort of like something a kid building a hot rod would have done way back when. I've tryed putting a full 32 shell on it, but it just looks wrong. Looks like a mistake, not a jalopy. I know, a lot of you probubly think it looks compleatly wrong this way too, but I like it. Besides, it's fun driving a hot rod around that isn't too pretentious, AND that I don't have to worry if someone leans on it or sets a beer on it or we drive through the mud! And who knows, someday it MAY get a shorter radiator and shell...we'll have to wait and see!
    Johnny
    Let me know if that wasn't what you wanted to know!

97, gas pumper and Runnin shine like this.