Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Stickers...cool or not...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by okeesignguy, Sep 9, 2015.

1. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

You can probably tell by my screen name that I make signs and stickers...
    Remembering guy's hot rods when I grew up in the 50s and 60s, I was thinking about the stickers that some of them used to stick on their hot rods...
    I made a few and stuck them on my 31 for the hell of it...if I decide that I don't like them they are very easy to remove...

SO...whataya think...cool or not...?

20150909_175320.jpg 20150909_175340.jpg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    40fordtudor and 509garyd like this.
  2. cool.
    my tool box is covered with them. i like them on the car when tastefully done.

3. You made them?Thats cool.

4. Model T1

Model T1

I kinda sorta like them on older style hotrods. I've been know in the past to use them. Kids, encluding mine, stick them on their redneck pickups now. But mostly under the hood.
    The yeller 41 Ford had them on the firewall until my son repainted it and the inner fenders. No pictures. But my tool boxes might have stickers all over them.

40fordtudor and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. bustedwrench

bustedwrench

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

did a really good looking job of making the stickers - not in favor in putting more than the set of Mooneyes on body, unless ride is or has the race car look. rear side windows, a couple on firewall OK

7. When used sparingly they are cool,but more than a few and they tend to look like your a sticker collector. HRP

8. They look good. Are ya selling them?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Most cool if you have the hardware that goes with.

10. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

I think they are cool but what matters is do you think they are cool?
    That being said if you send me one of "the Clay Smith Cams" sticker with some business cards I'll advertise for you by sticking it on my hot rod!

11. Tony

Tony

Nice job on the decals!
    I do like them on some cars/trucks when used sparingly.
    My dad had them on a couple of his cars in the early 60's and i just kinda dug it.
    I had a buddy paint this on my truck when i built it.
    image.jpg

Decal or painted, certains one can be a cool throwback.
    All the ones you made are great!!

Tony

Model T1 and 40fordtudor like this.
  12. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

Thanx guys...I kinda like them...
    I just put them on a few hours ago so I don't really know yet...
    Like I said before, They are easy to remove and I can make more anytime I want so I am thinking that it my be one of things I will do when I am in the mood and take em off when I go out of the mood...

And, yes I can make anything, any size and yes, I do sell signs and stickers...
    HOWEVER...I am well aware that on some forums you have to be a vendor to do that and I respect that...

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You used to see lots of stickers on race cars and drag cars. There was a reason for this. If you won a race you would get money from various sponsors if you had their sticker on your car. You didn't need to use their product, you got the money if the sticker was on the car. Usually $25 or in some cases, the sponsor's product like a case of oil from an oil company.

Some specified they had to be on the front of the car, the hood or front fenders, but forward of the door line.

So guys would plaster every sticker they could find on the car, as long as they got paid.

Lots of people did not know about this, especially if they were not racers. So it became a fad to put stickers on your car like your favorite racer. Hell if a well known racer dragged a potato sack from his rear bumper, a week later everyone would be dragging potato sacks.

14. I think one or two on the outside or the rear window is ok. But stuck all over it and not being a race car looks tacky to me. I remember in high school some kids had high performance stickers on their cars and the cars were stock as a stick. Thats just posing if you don't have the equipment on the car.

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

A couple are ok, much more than that can get tacky looking.

16. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Something like this or maybe a set of Moon eyes are cool. Any more, maybe not. Now, the tool box is a whole 'nother story.

17. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. I have a few, but this is a old drag car. I think yours look good. WIN_20150412_144051.JPG

19. gas & guns

gas & guns

20. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You are right here in Florida and I will be contacting you for some decals for my altered, if and when I ever get it done. I think they look good on your car.

Don

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice!---------Reminds me of LAR club roadster inspections each year,---One guy was told to fix & repair a rust spot on his quarter panel on his '29 roadster.
    He comes back for follow up inspection later, would you believe all he did was to put a Woody Woodpecker Clay Smith decal over the rust spot????---Didn't pass then either!

Model T1 likes this.
  22. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Only if there's tits on em. Mmmmmm..... Tits....

Model T1 and flatheadpete like this.
  23. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I've a couple of period correct small window decals & repo YOM registration label for mine.

24. stimpy

stimpy

yes we used to get paid , in the 80's it sometimes paid the cost of the trip to the track for some of us that ran the circus , and it was not to the guys who placed the top 3 it also paid a small amount to some for just for show ) 3-10 spots) .

and I am guilty of running a high payer sticker but not using there product . bu they refused to cut me my custom cam , so I went elsewhere .. but I di use other products they made .
    the funniest part was a Holley Carbs sticker on our car , we ran superstock and GMs unless it was equiped with a Holley from the factory , it had to run a Rodchester , but the reps gave us money still as we used there fuel pumps and filters .

loudbang likes this.
  25. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

Looks good if it`s not overdone (IMO).
    I remember reading in an old car mag about sticking them to sheet magnets and cutting the magnet to the sticker`s shape, that way you can put them on and pull them off when you want.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Roger Penske didn't like his cars cluttered up with stickers, so his cars in NASCAR had few to none. But if his driver earned the contingency $$, Roger paid out of his own pocket.

27. blackout78666

blackout78666

I was always told stickers we're good for an extra 10-20 horsepower.........

28. Guys,there is a lot of difference from a "sticker" and a "decal"...in olden days,they were real water slide decals...

Model T1, 40fordtudor, 302GMC and 2 others like this.
  29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Even today's racers get contingency $ for the stickers, but don't necessarily have to run that firm's equipment at all. The NHRA even has a whole program that tracks the stickers to "authenticate" payment due for cars that place in the finals. Basically it's all about what stickers get seen in the photos the fans see / take or in any commercial advertising. Cheap at half the cost. My sister helps sponsor a pro-stock car. And it's SO cool to see her firm's name on the car while watching ESPN or in print adverts. I've been pretty much a sticker nut since birth, but I like to put them on for places I've been in the car, like the old travel decals folks put on their dailies when on trips, not products. For a period correct car, I'd only use the ones for gear, tires or fuel / oils, etc. the car would have run back in the day - and not too many of them as not many firms paid contingency $ then. Gary

30. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Sad, but true. I miss real decals. Gary