Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help ID this I beam axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sonic03bluegt, Sep 1, 2015.

1. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

This axle was in my gasser when i bought it and i have searched high and low trying to figure out what it came out of. Any help?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks like an early Dodge truck

4. I don't think it is Dodge.

5. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

I'm leaning towards a ford of some sort but i have found nothing really that is close

6. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

well i know more than i did i guess. Everything looks like it all came together from the factory and it has 5x4.5 bolt pattern

7. With no drop on the ends, likely from a truck. The 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern may or may not be original, could have had hubs swapped. Any close-up of the spindles and backing plates, that might help.

8. That looks almost like about a 1916 Cadillac axle.

9. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

10. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

These are the only two pics i have on my bucket already. All i really need to figure out is what the spindles are off of. Trying to put disc on the car to get some weight off. But the curious side of me is wondering about the axle

11. 31Apickup

31Apickup

50's era Dodge pickup's had a drop in the axle like that.

12. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

The dodge truck ones i've seen dont have near as much of a U in the middle of the axle

13. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

[​IMG]
    this is the only number i could find on the axle anywhere

14. OLD car, as mentioned,..most truck axles mount under the springs.

15. Budget36

Budget36

Since you're looking to convert to disc brake, maybe consider trying to find p/n on the hubs, bearings, wheel cylinders, etc, and try to cross reference things. As mentioned, the spindles may have been swapped out.

16. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

Thats what im planning to do but really wondered what the axle was out of as well and thought i may get lucky and the spindles actually belong to the axle, which would probably make life easier

17. I'm thinking something way back like teens or early '20s, the person who built the car originally may have had no clue what it came from. It could have been under an old trailer or farm wagon, or found lying loose in a scrap yard. Some of the obscure orphan makes outsourced many major components (think Continental engines, Eaton rear ends, etc), and several of those long-forgotten obscure makes may have bought the same axles from the same foundry. I'm thinking that axle is something really ancient with later spindles adapted.

sonic03bluegt likes this.
  18. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know but it is cool as hell!

19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

If you seriously want to remove some weight, go with an actual, tube, straight axle with whatever drop works for your plans. It would also make adapting discs easier, as most companies offering axles also do the brakes to fit them.
    I was "thinking" the MOPAR straight axles were tubular, not I-beam. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

metlmunchr likes this.
  20. Some were I-beam...some were tube type, depending on the years.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  21. I like that you have some DODGE on your Ford - I vote DODGE :)

22. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

I realize i could save a little extra weight by going with a chromoly tube axle but it wouldn't have near the character that the i beam does, so im planning to drill this beam and make it as light as possible, plus i think the drilled holes make i beams even more aesthetically pleasing. Now to figure out what the spindles came off of, from looking at pictures they look like 36 ford spindles to me, but i'll get some better pics and post them up

23. The MOPARs of the 20s were beams but the earlier once resembled a T axle @ the king pin bungs. I have seen an early MOPAR that looked like that though I just don't recall the year. I think MOPAR went to the wiggly tube about '32 or so.

I think the easy way out would be to snag a tube axle and then you would be just like the rest of the stump jumpers out there. If it were me I would do my research the best I could and try and make that one work.

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If they were '36 Ford spindles they should have Wide-5 (10-1/4") hubs and drums on them. While '36-'38 were Wide-5 years, 1936 Ford spindles are a one-year, non-interchange year, with little to no aftermarket support.

They look just like '37-up round back spindles, but the snout length is longer, and thus the bearing spacing is different.

25. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

26. 69fury

69fury

No idea what it is, but I like it and think you should keep it. -rick

27. suedepaint

suedepaint
    from western MI

I got a complete axle and springs out of an f1. They make discs for that.

28. grimmfalcon138

grimmfalcon138
    from az

Maybe a 2wd postal jeep? But I'm not sure about the drop in the middle.

29. grimmfalcon138

grimmfalcon138
    from az

Never mind. after searching the interweb it appears that the 2wd postal jeeps used a tube axle.