Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Large learning curve

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Mar 12, 2015.

1. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

And I leave the cell phone in its holster till I get where I am going- I can not believe how many people
    pull into the extra space I leave while talking on their phones- or even worst texting.

2. blazedogs

blazedogs

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am new to driving Model A's. I am 5'11"ish and there was a learning curve on how to get in. Ass first is the key. A couple of times I had to perform a contortionist maneuver to get in when I went feet first and near got jammed in the door opening. Must have looked funny to see. So are all model A's typically like this to get in...I am curious.

Also had dimmer switch in typical traditional location on fwd floor pan (driver side) and when driving my foot sat there and kept switching it up and down so I moved it up on the firewall and I just raise my foot and switch it as needed.

I carry a fly swatter now as you never know what might land inside commin thru the tilt windshield air conditioning. Betcha there is a thread on what landed beside you when you where out for a cruise...

Little quirky things. My Margaret says everything I own is like this. Just part of the fun and games.

4. I have gotten into cars butt first for so long that I am not sure if gettin' into an A bone is always a pita. I am between 5'10&6' some place. Chopped cars and mega lowered cars are a paint for me because most of my height is from the waist up ( 30" inseam).

My biggest problem with any car new or old is getting out, you can tell a car that I drive on a regular basis because there is a had print just above the door and on the A pillar. I like cars with suicide doors they are the easiest to get in and out of for me.

5. Hand cranking a Model A to get it started. Finally learned to tune my 29 coupe well enough that I could start it pretty much on the first or second pull. Hardly ever used the electric starter because it was kinda an attention getter to start it up in the parking lot of Juco after class was out. Got some conversations started with the pretty girls with that hand cranking, too.

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Lot of memorabilia in this thread! I'll slide my Crosley in here. Pretty much stock, Little better brake lining and some manifold porting and big exhaust pipe, converted to 12v..Starter sure spins fast!...Runs about the same as a model A, crash box and all..Maybe a hare faster at half the weight and a little more than half the power.....Dog just fits and always comes along when I take the car out for errands and we usually stop at a park or piece of woods for a walk..The other day I stopped at a grocery store, parked right in front..When I come out there was the dog with his head out the window and people looking at (the weird) little car and talking to the dog, he just soaked it all in..I fit ok at 6" 2" [its all in the legs Beaner] and getting in and out is not bad cause the doors are about twice as long as a Model A [40"]..I used hand signals for about 4 or 5 years [bout 85% people got the drift but a lot of people looked for them] but got tired of maneuvering around to get my arm out the window, sliding glass no roll down, so when I converted to 12v I put signals in..More better but the dumb ass kept forgetting to turn them off after a turn so I took the detent out...I pulled up to a Smart car at a light and the driver gave me the weirdest look but I did get a thumbs up from a young lady in a new Fiat 500...First time got caught in the rain the vacuum wipers made me laugh, I had forgotten how they worked...

porknbeaner and SR100 like this.
  7. Vac wipers take a little planning. ;)

Everything took a little planning, I am not going to lie about it. I think that planning is a big part of driving an old heap. My standard day used to be ( and still is for the most part) started with checking the oil, lifting the cap on the radiator, walking around the car to the drivers door and seeing all the tires. Get in and wiggle the shifter to be sure it is in neutral or shove the shifter toward park, stand on the clutch or the brake and then stroke the gas peddle once and hit the starter. Taking a trip check the map while its warming.

Maps remember those? I still use them believe it or not. Makes me laugh, I taught my granddaughter to use one. She owns a Rand McNally Road Atlas now. She and her boyfriend were on a trip a while back and the damned GPS quit working, so she calls me and says, grandpa what's the quickest way from Coeur d'Alene to Portland. I said well jump on 90 and head west. So she says well what about and starts naming off two lane roads and what have you. then telling me which are state and which are county and etc. Then her boyfriend jumps in and says, "She's using this big book because our GPS quit working." I said , "Uh that's called an atlas son." So I said well if you are in a hurry stay on the interstate and otherwise don't plan on finding gas on county roads. She laughed and says, "Grandpa, I know how to talk to farmers." Her boyfriend asked me if she had any idea what she was doing so I asked him if he did and he admitted that he didn't. I guess you just shouldn't let old people raise kids.

SR100 likes this.
  8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Henry Ford weighed about 130 lbs and hated fat people. K. T. Keller who ran the Chrysler corporation from the thirties to the early fifties, was well over 6 feet tall and weighed 280 pounds and made sure he could fit in all Chrysler built cars comfortably.

So if you are any bigger than a fashion model you know which to chose.

Maverick Daddy and Stogy like this.
  9. Yep early Fords were built for people like the granddad 5'3" and medium build at best. LOL

@5'10"-6' and 170-175 I fit in most early fords well enough, the Ts are the worse. I have discovered that it is not hip room that I lack but shoulder room. :D

10. AeroCraftsman

AeroCraftsman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some of the bigger "learning curve" things I've noticed are:

Gotta drag the the brakes a little after getting them wet.

Don't fight turning the wheel until it's rolling.

People have no clue what hand signals mean.

You hear race announcers talk about being "Up on the wheel" and there's something to that. Both hands on the wheel in the right positions is important.

Cars follow the driver's eyes, so when people are staring at you, they're probably drifting toward you.

11. I drive 100 miles plus a day the texting makes me so mad. People are to busy to drive these days that's the sad truth. And i always use hand signals on my motorcycle except when the wife is on the back then it's her job.;)

12. LOL I was out for a ride the other day and this dip shit old man was jawjacking all leaned up against his side glass and not paying any attention to anything. he lolly gagged into my lane and just missed my front wheel (that was my fault he would have hit me if I wasn't paying attention). So I pulled up next to him and blasted my pipes in his ear to get his attention then hollered, "Hang up and fuckin drive" then shifted up and run on up the road. I looked up and this State Cop was following me so I pulled into the tight lane and he pulls up and gives me this confused look. So I motioned like I was talking on the phone, he gave me a thumbs up and motored on up the road. ;)

leadfootloon likes this.
  13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

That happens to me more than I like with on coming traffic, mostly with the shoebox, not so much with the others..Can't do much about it except be sure that there is more of the road I can use just in case..They usually snap out of it when I stick my arm out the window to give a good driving salute..
    I use an atlas a lot..I'll figure out a route and then map quest and see what alternates are like and make my choice and get a print out or some times I'll write it out [yeah, with a pen!]...If my wife comes she brings her gps which sometimes gets confused which usually results in profanity [not from me, I know where I'm going!] and Jane getting punished by getting unplugged and stuffed into the glove box..
    Size wise if I ride with a friend in his A roadster we are shoulder to shoulder with arms over the doors. He sat in my Crosley and he had to lean over to close the door, I took him for a ride and we had to sit a little side ways..Cozy...
    Cell phones piss me off but I saw a woman reading a paper back..I did use my phone while driving once..Called a friend I was following to tell him his tractor was bouncing around on his trailer..He said "its OK". When we got to the fairgrounds I moved over to park beside him and when he stopped the tractor rolled off the trailer..Some times I get lucky..

BobbyRay likes this.
  14. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

The hand signal post reminded me of the day my grandson was riding in the T with me (no signals) and finally blurted out, "Papa, what are you pointing at!"

leadfootloon likes this.
  15. BobbyRay

BobbyRay

The day I picked up my 57, I got in, shut the door, pumped the gas, shifted into neutral and started her up. Everything was good, or so I thought. I backed out of the driveway, put the car into drive and took off. I was all smiles. Then, I take a hard right turn (was still getting used to manual steering) and my door just flings open. Immediately I pull over, shut the door and put the hatch down. And onto the checklist the door went :)

16. Two shabby

Two shabby

How about running your own foot over trying to get the parking block installed before momentum builds up? Back firing through the carb pulling out at a bad intersection sends you into the steering wheel , then the power comes on and you get thrown into the back of the vinyl seat. Starting the engine after rebuilding the carb on your kitchen linoleum floor and forgetting to hook up throttle return sprung. Vroom. Or how about waiting out a heat soaked starter? Readjusting new v belts. Adjusting pass side view mirror while driving alone. Adjusting carb mixture in parking lot to pass smog inspection. Grease fittings.

BobbyRay likes this.
  17. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

DRIVE-
    1.to send, expel, or otherwise cause to move by force or compulsion:
    2.to cause and guide the movement of
    3.to convey in a vehicle:
    4.to force to work or act:
    5.to impel; constrain; urge; compel.
    6.to carry (business, an agreement, etc.) vigorously through:
    He drove a hard bargain.
    7.to keep (machinery) going.
    RIDE-
    1.to sit on and manage a horse or other animal in motion; be carried on the back of an animal.
    2.to be borne along on or in a vehicle or other kind of conveyance.
    3.to move or float on the water:
    4.to move along in any way; be carried or supported:
    5.to have a specified character for riding purposes:
    The car rides smoothly.
    6.to be conditioned; depend (usually followed by on):
    7.Informal. to continue without interruption or interference:

You have to "drive" an old car.
    Unfortunately most "ride" in a newer one.

BobbyRay likes this.
  18. I personally drive my truck and ride my motorcycle. It's "Drives" me crazy when people say drive your bike. I always correct them you sit on a bike not in one. Ridding has made me more of a defensive driver and always looking for an escape route.

19. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Keeping your hands at 10 and 2 o'clock on the steering wheel is now taboo - contrary to what we learned in high school driver's ed class.

20. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Now that airbags can snap your arms, i believe 9 and 3 are the new numbers with thumbs out... o_O

21. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

With all of the Texting and eating a 4 course meal while driving old cars are almost as dangerous as ridding a Motorcycle now days.
    I had this young girl approach me in my lane by at least 3 feet yesterday driving at 60 or so, Pure Dumbass!

22. Yep that is what they taught the granddaughter but they told her that it was to have better control. No crossover steering anymore either.

That is one advantage that we do have over late model is that is less safety equipment to kill us. Granted if we don't drive defensively late model stuff may still kill us.

23. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Manual steering on an old truck...
    Pick your parking spot wisely...
    Road crown changes can be fun also...
    Don't expect to ditch that huge steering wheel.... It serves a purpose.
    Bump steer on big bumps is real... Set your caster at about 8 degrees and up to make bump steer make steering wheel turn but vehicle stay straight as an arrow on bumpy roads. But I suggest getting steering arms in correct geometry at all costs...
    Wide tires suck on manual steering.
    Prepare for your arms to have a good workout.