Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1958 Continental brake upgrade

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brickhead07, Sep 8, 2015.

1. brickhead07

brickhead07
    from IL

Hey Guys,

Looking at upgrading the brakes on my 58 Lincoln Continental. Has anybody found a front disc kit that will allow use of the stock 14" wheels? Classic disc brakes says their kit will work, but can't find any real world feedback. Also looking to replace the treadle-vac with a modern booster. Space is tight. What have you guys used? Thinking of mounting a remote booster in the trunk. Thoughts???

2. Give "ABS Power Brakes" a call or check out their website. They have kits for 58' Lincolns. I have installed their kits before, quality kits and good customer service.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Due to the design of disc brakes, it is impossible to fit a decent sized disc and caliper inside a 14" wheel. Since your car weighs 5000 pounds I strongly recommend you use the bigger brakes and change to 15" wheels, same as Lincoln did when they went to disc brakes.

Disc brakes that will fit inside a 14" wheel are just too small for such a heavy powerful car.

V8 Bob likes this.
  4. brickhead07

brickhead07
    from IL

That's what I was thinking. I might install a modern booster/mc and have the shoes re-lined. See how that performs.

5. sbakar

sbakar

ABS Power Brakes website shows they use a 12" rotor for the '58-60 Lincoln. I just replaced by buddy's rotors on his Toyota Camry and they were 14" rotors and I thought those looked small.

6. brickhead07

brickhead07
    from IL

Yes, I contacted ABS. I also contacted classic disc brakes and their kit has 11" rotors. Probably going to get my brake shoes re-lined and roll with it