Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Road trip on Rout 66

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Miller, Sep 7, 2015.

1. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

I wish I could go

ROBERT JAM likes this.
  2. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Don't miss the Rt.66 museum in Pontiac Illinois,good photo op also. :)

Model T1 likes this.
  3. hudson48

hudson48

Yes best to do it from Chicago and head west. I have the Lincoln Highway on my bucket list also. Did part of Route 66 back in 1995 headed east from Amarillo across to Springfield and then in 2009 did the west bound from Chicago most of the way. Did a diversion to Grand Canyon and then to Vegas and then had to go back direct to LAX to go home.

4. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Mike

Love that 57' Cad and what a neat ride for your trip !!!!!!!

When you get closer to Los Angeles your could make plans to see the Nethercutt Collection & Museum in Sylmar

You can look it up on the web and take a peek , it is a great place I know as I worked there in 75' on the cars

To see the cars you can go in anytime , but to see the 5 story Museum you need to call ahead and put your name on the list for the day you would want 818 367 2251

Have fun and stay safe, Don

5. ken bogren

ken bogren

We've done Route 66 a few times in recent years, it's wonderful trip. When you get to AZ be sure and take the drive through the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest National Park. 28 miles of wonderful scenery. Stay off the freeway except where there is no choice. Try to get to Oatman AZ just before noon when the wild burros wander into town.

loudbang likes this.
  6. May the old car Gods smile on you as you travel!!!

7. When are you planning to arrive in the Chicago Area ? You may want to join the HAMB breakfast group Saturday morning at 7 am, at Chucks , 8201 S. Cass Ave. Darien , Ill .

8. Hope you're having a good night somewhere near Kootenai, ID, or some other place east of there. :)

9. barnsearcher

barnsearcher
    from Ohio

Great trip! Looking forward to following your post. I agree, Pontiac Illinois is an excellent place to spend the day. Bob Waldmire's bus where he lived and the VW van he ran Rt66 with are there. Multiple museums and beautiful murals on the down town buildings.

Model T1 likes this.
  10. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a really neat piece of Rte. 66 that starts just north of Kingman, Az. and runs for 60-70 miles, then joins I-40 near Seligman, Az. One of the towns on the Route is Hackberry. Took us 2 hrs to get away from there because of all the tourists wanting pictures of themselves with our '32, in it, on it, over it, behind it. Good luck, and we envy y'all.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  11. Off to a good start and then bad news, got about 200 miles and the car started acting up and quit. DSCF2456.JPG DSCF2457.JPG DSCF2458.JPG
    Some kind of fuel system problem, so up on the flat bed and back home. Thankfully we had bought triple A insurance. Dan the tow truck man was a big help.
    DSCF2459.JPG
    So tomorrow we will start out in our O/T daily, still should be a good time just not as cool of a ride. I'll keep posting progress here.

12. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Well that's kind of a bummer , but at least you have got a back up ride to continue your trip

The good news is you were not to far from home

Looking forward to your reports and pics

13. Oh damn. Sorry to hear that, Mike. :(

14. DC40

DC40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear about the bad luck, I will keep following your trip as Route 66 is in my future.

15. Sorry to hear that Mike, still will be a good time though I'm sure.

16. stangman05gt

stangman05gt
    from illinois

sorry to hear the caddy breakin down. At least it did not keep you from your trip.

17. Bummer 'bout the Caddy! But, I'm still jealouse as hell! Best of luck the rest of the way! Someday...someday...
    A dollar and the right six numbers!

18. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Damn I'm bummed that your caddy crapped out :( . It will still be a stellar trip , albeit without all the worries of doing it in an old car , lol . Keep up with the nightly updates. I'm looking forward to them !

Good luck with the rest of the trip.

19. Onterio Oregon now will connect with US 30 the Lincoln highway tomorrow, destination Pocatello Id. Nothing to take pictures of on 20 across Oregon but rocks, corn and onion fields, or a bunch of Oregon trail stuff. Not HAMB friendly stuff. The things I will show are Lincoln Highway stuff and the Speedway Museum. US 30 is more a nostalga trip for me, but I'll share what's pertinent to this board. Plan to connect with 66 at Joliet Il. in seven days.
    Stay tuned.:D I'm going to have a beer.

Model T1 likes this.
  20. Drove from Ontario to Pocatello Id. today, Idaho has their stuff togeather when it comes to getting from point A to B. DSCF2522.JPG

21. Made a stop at Nampa at the War Hawks WW II air musieum, very well done and worth look. DSCF2462.JPG DSCF2463.JPG DSCF2468.JPG DSCF2469.JPG DSCF2470.JPG DSCF2471.JPG DSCF2472.JPG DSCF2473.JPG DSCF2474.JPG DSCF2481.JPG DSCF2482.JPG DSCF2483.JPG

Model T1, Legends47 and i.rant like this.
  22. And some more.

Attached Files:

Model T1, Legends47 and i.rant like this.
  23. terry48435

terry48435

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for pics - there will be another day to fly down the highway

25. That's a beautiful old Buick!

26. Us 30, 84, and 86 are now all on the same alignment it's been a bunch of 4 lane interstate so far, we will connect with a stretch of the old Lincoln Highway today for a ways then it merges on to 80 across Wyoming. Nothing's like I remember from 1966, a little disappointing but, things change. Just have to make the best of what's here now. Idaho is noted for potatoes but miles of corn and onion fields are in second place and closing in fast. Going to a O/T museum about cleaning stuff today (Becky is very meticulous about that stuff). ;) Happy wife happy life. Might be why I built a man cave off the side of the shop where I can be a slob.:D

Model T1 likes this.
  27. The cars, with exception of the Packard and the Studebaker were driver quality, I liked the color combination on the Desoto and might use it on my 29 Studebaker.
    2012_0911(001).JPG

Model T1 likes this.
  28. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I plan the opposite trip in a few years, west on Old Linc to san Fran, down hwy 1 to LA, then back home on rt66. I told the wife to plan on being gone at least 4-5 weeks.

29. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

couple interesting things in Nebr not too far from I80: Carhenge in Alliance, replica of Stonehenge made out of old cars. Ole's Big Game Lounge in Paxton, former owner was world class big game hunter, has all (100 or so) of his museum quality mounts in the bar, great food.

30. Went to the museum of clean and surprisingly had a great time. The owner (Don Aslett) met us in the parking lot and gave us a guided tour. It was fun and interesting, the place was huge. A don't miss for all neat freaks.
    Got on old US 30 for around 300 miles before it merged back on to I 80, in places I could see traces of the original Lincoln highway. Spending the night in rock springs Wyoming.

Model T1 likes this.