Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Some help please on Chrysler Fire Power

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikecorneloup, Jul 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikecorneloup

mikecorneloup
    from fort worth

Hello to anyone who reads this!!! I have a couple of questions. My wife and I just inherited her grandfather pick up truck. Its a 1960 chevy apache pick up truck with a Chrysler fire power engine. I've looked around the web to look up serial #'s everything I am reading says its on the left side. But where on the left side could any one help me out? The reason that there is a fire power in it he was a drag racer back in the day and is one of the founding father of it. I know that he had done some work to it but not sure how much he did to it! If your interested in knowing about him you can follow this link: :http://www.ahrf.com/?s=HARTELT&type=image. I'll put up some picks of it too. Also what kind of starter should I get for this?

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

mikecorneloup likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

hi welcome to the hamb....first thing you need to do is post pictures of the truck, and the engine. We like pictures.

The numbers on those engines are at the top front of the block.

mikecorneloup and 1927graham like this.
  4. gatz

gatz

5. welcome and post pictures indeed.

mikecorneloup likes this.
  6. That sure is an impressive photo gallery.

7. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Yep, last seen viewing 10.40 PM , same as original post. Hmmm . I did not click the link and I hope that you do not!
    1 'st post is a tip off.

8. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Don't be vague....explain yourself.

9. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Explain myself?
    Don't want to.
    Don't have to.
    Can't make me.

10. 2racer

2racer

How about a clue then as to what you meant by "1 'st post is a tip off" ?

ace5043 likes this.
  11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

12. Whoah. The American Hot Rod Foundation photos are great stuff. Looks like your grandfather in law, Doug Hartelt was quite the hot rod racer in his day. Thanks for the pic' review. Yes, post the truck photos as soon as possible.

13. Knew that name sounded vaguely familiar. This car is one of my favorites. Your granddfather in law was the first guy to mount a GMC blower onto the front of a Chrysler Hemi, and here is the car that did it. He raced it at Mirage, Bonneville, Santa Anna, you name it. Many different engine configurations, as you can follow it's choice of hood sides.

Bump to see the pictures of your truck please. Granpa' was a bad mother f#uckr' ... as you can see.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. mikecorneloup

mikecorneloup
    from fort worth

Thank you sir for your help I found it! yahoo. Its a 1957 chysler Imperial. Any recommedations on a starter for it and where possibly I could get one?

15. mikecorneloup

mikecorneloup
    from fort worth

Thank you sir for your help I found it! yahoo. Its a 1957 chysler Imperial. Any recommedations on a starter for it and where possibly I could get one?

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

One of the HAMB's resident hemi go-to guys is 73rr(Gary), give him a PM (start a conversation). Most would say call Hot Heads for a starter but I'm sure Gary can help save you the Hot Heads markup price.

mikecorneloup and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Any good auto electric shop or rebuilder should be able to rebuild your starter or supply a new one. Usually better and cheaper than regular parts stores. Look in the yellow pages, there should be at least one in your town. If you know a good mechanic ask who he recommends.

The 57 Chrysler was conventional, 12 volt negative ground system.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Ok, the engine's origins have been sorted out. The truck itself, however, does not appear to be a '60, but rather a '64 to '66, based on the windshield post and hood/grille.

Cool truck in any case and a Super Sleeper. No one would suspect what's under the hood.

Best wishes to you and your kids with that project.

Ray

19. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

This kid comes here and openly admits that he knows nothing but wants to glom onto grandpas adventures.
    With 1 post he adds a link= danger as you should never open a link from an unknown source, or am I wrong?
    I have been caught by opening links from unknown sources and this one was and is still unknown.
    He says that I am not a "true Mopar man" well I believe that I was building and racing Mopars before his father was born.
    Three years ago I had 26 hemis in my garage and recently sold most. Last year I sat in my garage with a 2 time AA/GS world champion while I was selling him two 392 Chryslers.
    If you need a starter I would recommend an electric as the hand cranks can really cause some damage to your arm.
    Read and learn. This is not Facebook!

20. neat truck with a 392...looks like a fun. Your grandfathers salt history is something to cherish, get that truck functional and enjoy it for the piece of cool that it is.
    Cheers,
    Drewfus

turboroadster and mikecorneloup like this.
  21. mikecorneloup

mikecorneloup
    from fort worth

270dodge guy is

22. mikecorneloup

mikecorneloup
    from fort worth

Thank you Sir! My kids and I are in love with it. It will going to them. My 16 year old wants to drive it to school asap.

Drewfus likes this.
  23. 69fury

69fury

locked in 10...9....8....7....6....

24. mikecorneloup

mikecorneloup
    from fort worth

huh?

25. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

As far as the starter is concerned - what transmission is in the truck? Is there an aftermarket adapter? Have you tried a '57 imperial starter? Hot Heads would be a great resource - you should do a lot more than just bolt up a starter and try to give it a go - you could do more harm than good - oil should be changed and pre-lubed - ignition system and carb re-built - gas tank and lines cleaned out etc, etc.....good luck with it

mikecorneloup and turboroadster like this.
  26. 69fury

69fury

Just counting down to when this thread gets locked due to people calling each other "idiot" and "dumbass". Usually happens pretty quick when threads start up this way. 1. Just do an intro, 2. be polite, 3. don't let people get under your skin, listen more than you speak, and 4. if you're going to engage people that are trying to rough you up, just continue with steps 2 and 3. This site has lots to offer. Welcome to the HAMB. You've got a neat truck there. -rick.

INVISIBLEKID and turboroadster like this.
  27. this "kid" is old enough to have kids, I dont get why your acting the ass, he came here looking for info, not bullshit. Dont click the link, no biggie, but you can stop the horseshit anytime.

28. contact 73rr

29. mikecorneloup

mikecorneloup
    from fort worth

oil change check, fuel tank cleaned out getting a new fuel sensor for the tank it was corroded out. no I have not started with a 57 starter. it doesn't have one on the motor. but knowing now I called hot head and they suggested counting the teeth on the fly wheel ugh! well next thing I am doing lol

30. mikecorneloup

mikecorneloup
    from fort worth

your right my fault! I am just tired of people like 270dodge guy... nevermind thank you for pointing that out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.