Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Daily Driving the 57 / Spare parts to keep

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobbyRay, Sep 6, 2015.

1. squirrel

squirrel

draglites are not quite what most of us here would choose for that car... ;)

BobbyRay likes this.
  2. Judd

Judd

+1 on this. My stone stock 292 3 speed 64 f100 is so dependable I would drive to L.A. Without worry other than money for gas!

BobbyRay likes this.
  3. BobbyRay

BobbyRay

What would you recommend? I do have the stick-on white walls, but I was thinking about using them if I ever got some smoothie wheel covers for it. But I'd love to hear what kind of wheels yourself and others would put on :)

4. squirrel

squirrel

Something a bit older. Although I dig the little hubcaps, I'd probably leave them, at least until you get used to the car, and get it working reliably, and maybe get more familiar with this forum... We kind of prefer traditional stuff around here, and if you stick around, you might grow to appreciate it, too

BobbyRay likes this.
  5. What is the last year for Y block. I seem to remember that 312's were availbale in trucks after cars ?

6. BobbyRay

BobbyRay

Thanks for the recommendation. One of the many options I was thinking about was just getting the wheels restored at the same time I get a paint job. My first instinct was to go satin black. But the more I see the Star Mist Blue the more I just want to do a traditional restoration. But the wheel covers I was thinking about getting just to cover up the weathered paint on the wheels. Was thinking about the Fairlane wheel covers, just for now.

7. squirrel

squirrel

62 cars, 64 trucks.

You can use sandpaper and rattle can spray paint and fix the wheels, it's not a big deal.

BobbyRay likes this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

If you're not sure how to work on it, I see no reason to carry 150lbs of tools and parts, get a Triple A towing card, and fix it in your driveway/garage...do you (assuming you don't know how) want to be swapping a waterpump, fuel pump, etc, on the side of the road or in a parking lot at 2am?

As mentioned before, drive it, listen to it...it'll tell you what it needs, no one (when the car was new or 5 years older) packed extra fuel, water, parts, tool set (except the bare minimum)...and things worked out well then?

BobbyRay likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, but we didn't have cell phones, either. Life must have been tough!

Budget36 and BobbyRay like this.
  10. BobbyRay

BobbyRay

Yeah, I'm sure I'm over thinking this. I'm sure I'm ok with my tool kit, water, gas, oil, antifreeze, jb, etc.

As of now I'm working on getting my replacement fuel pump working. The lever seems stuck. Not that I NEED to put it on, but I'm not really sure how old the current one is.

That's actually a good idea. Damn I feel dumb for not thinking about doing that. Actually sounds very fun. Thanks ;)

11. squirrel

squirrel

Old fuel pumps sometimes work for a little while, then they get tired fast.

post a picture of the new fuel pump...

12. missysdad1

missysdad1

The biggest favor you can do for yourself, BobbyRay, is to learn how to MAINTAIN your car, not how to FIX it. Older cars like yours need a lot of regular maintenance to keep them running properly. Most of it you can do yourself, even as a beginner. The more repairs you can prevent through regular maintenance the better off you'll be.

Get yourself a service/repair manual for your specific make/model and pay attention to the maintenance section. Familiarize yourself with the proper materials to use on your specific car and then buy the tools - grease gun, oil can, funnel, wrenches, etc. - that you need to perform the maintenance functions properly.

Then spend a day doing all the maintenance functions like changing the oil and filter, changing the coolant and thermostat, servicing the transmission, greasing the suspension, oiling the generator and distributor, tensioning the belts, greasing the steering box, greasing all the fittings on the linkages...there's a lot of it and it's all detailed in your new service manual.

Chances are that if all you've ever owned are late model Mustangs a lot of what I've just said won't have any meaning. But we all began somewhere, and now it's your turn. You've got a great beginner car to learn on, so get to it!

BobbyRay likes this.
  13. BobbyRay

BobbyRay

Thanks again for your words of encouragement. I'm definitely going to get started on maintenance right away.

Here are a few pictures of the engine, the carb and my new fuel pump that I'm going to attempt to fix:

Attached Files:

14. squirrel

squirrel

heh...double fuel pump, and electric wipers....something doesn't add up :)

(the top half of the fuel pump is a vacuum pump, to help power the vacuum wipers when going up hills. Not needed with an electric wiper motor)

BobbyRay likes this.
  15. Nice car. Electric wipers and the dual exhaust manifolds are a big plus, If it does not already have it I would convert the crank case ventilation system from the road draft tube to a positive crankcase valve (PCV) system. When it comes time for a new fuel pump get the one with out the vacuum pump, save some money.

16. BobbyRay

BobbyRay

17. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Bingo. Makes me think that someone converted it to electric wipers and left the fuel pump. He could probably sell that double action fuel pump for twice what a standard fuel pump will cost.

18. squirrel

squirrel

Keeps the engine crankcase cleaner, and also doesn't put out that puff of blue smoke from the engine when you're sitting at a stoplight

19. BobbyRay

BobbyRay

Ahh, Squirrel. I was wondering what that was :D Thanks again.

So I'm probably better off just selling the fuel pump I haven't put in rather than replacing current one?

20. The PCV draws fresh air in to the crankcase and routs the fumes to the intake manifold for the engine to burn. It helps keep sludge from forming in your engine. And as Squirrel said you don't have that crummy smelling haze of fumes around you at stops with the engine idling. It will also create a low pressure in your crankcase which helps with oil leaks. one of the things I did with my 57 Cad. was to remove the road draft tube and install a PCV system. Your electric wiper motor looks a lot like the one on my 59 Ford.

BobbyRay likes this.
  21. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

If you already bought a new dual action fuel pump, I'd definitely return it and buy a regular, single action pump instead. You're literally not using the second half of the pump at all.

BobbyRay likes this.
  22. Nice to see younger guys getting interested in the older cars. Welcome to the Hamb. Whether the car at it's current condition is one that would make a dependable daily driver is a decision you will have to make before to long based on your needs and the probablity that at some point it's going to need stuff you won't be able to pick up at the local parts store. Beyond that, I'd suggest doing as many car shows as posible. There are so many ways to go with a car, you need to find out what flips your switches before you get to far into it. That may be a stock restoration, a traditional custom, a street rod, what ever, but that'll give you a direction.
    While you're doing that, join some forums where you can spend days reading up on subjects that are pertinent to your car. The 52-59 Ford social club here is a good one. www.1957ford.com is great for factory specs.etc, but does not have an active forumn where you can get questions answered.
    www.57fordsforever.com is a very active forum for owners of 57 Ford passenger cars only (no t-birds, trucks, etc) there are lots of knowledgeable guys there that very helpful, lots of pics, links to just about every source for 57 Ford parts, Ford tech info, etc. Just know that it's active, but not like the Hamb...it may take a day or so to get an answer sometimes.
    Probably the best advise I can give is what another member mentioned earlier...find an old guy that knows his stuff and say "yes sir" alot!
    One other thing...be aware that building a 57 ford is not like building a 57 Chevy. Many parts are harder to find, more expensive, and sometimes almost non existent. That is gradually changing however. The upside to that, imho, is when you do go to a car show, after the rows and rows of tri five chevys, if your lucky, you may see one or two 57 Fords. That's what makes it all worthwhile to me.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    BobbyRay likes this.
  23. BobbyRay

BobbyRay

Thanks for being so informative. I'm learning a lot from everyone here.

The car came with a lot of spare parts in the trunk. Fuel pump, gas tank, fuel sending unit, New tail light bezels, hood ornament, about 8 wind shield wipers, stick-on white walls and more. Most of the cosmetic stuff I'm going to have put on when I take it in to get painted. But, if I don't need this particular fuel pump I'll just sell it.

Thanks for the links. And yes, a mentor would help a lot. I guess I just have to get out there and start mingling.

Thanks again for all the help, everyone

24. vintagetinman

vintagetinman

I wouldn't worry too much about carrying around spare parts in the car if you are just using it as a daily driver. However if you are planning cross-country road trips I might consider carrying a few small parts with me like fuel pump, water pump, generator, regulator, and starter. Mostly because on the road you can't guarantee finding a parts store that carries those parts in stock. I know the big chains won't stock y-block parts. They can order them for you but that puts you in the situation where you have to wait the 1 to 3 days it takes for them to arrive in an unfamiliar town. Unplanned stops like this can seriously impact a vacation. No matter the outcome you will have an interesting story to tell when you get home.

Texas57 and BobbyRay like this.
  25. I'll pretend you didn't say that.

26. For parts carried on the road, I just do filters, belts, bring oil too, have enough stuff to be able to strip & reconnect wiring, a set of good used points, condenser, distributor cap. And whatever does break.. you won't have it with you.

BobbyRay likes this.
  27. BobbyRay

BobbyRay

Lol. Any recommendations? I'm probably going to end up repainting the wheels and restoring the dog dishes. I've attached some pictures that had me leaning towards the draglites.

Thank you. I finished up my emergency kit today. Only things I need are points, condenser and owners manual.

Attached Files:

• wf.jpg
      wf.jpg
      File size:
      34 KB
      Views:
    • ws.jpg
      ws.jpg
      File size:
      9.1 KB
      Views:
    • 1a.jpg
      1a.jpg
      File size:
      69.5 KB
      Views:
  28. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

I would keep the 'poverty caps' and look for a scuzzy set of chrome reverse wheels to sandblast and paint. I dunno if Fords went to 14" wheels like Chevy did, but without power steering, keep the sizes to 14x6 or 15x6. Wheel-Vintiquics or Pete Paulson makes new wheels, but I am CHEAP. I shop at tire and wheel shops, wrecking yards. IMO, stock hub caps always look bitchin' with a deeper dish wheel. Next best would be a set of snap-on MOON DISCS. Both options would be cheap AND low maintence... :) PASS on the porta-walls or wide witewalls. Stay with blackwalls, or pinner (1") whitewalls, have the tire shop use LEAD TAPE for wheel weights.

Order a REPAIR MANUAL, used or repop. Ed Faxton comes to mind, stocks manuals for EVERYTHING! Look for an adult school in your area that offers an Auto Mechanics class, stop in and talk to the instructor - get a feel for his knowlege of classic cars before you sign up - or he might have a referral to a class that would better fit your needs.

IMO, paint doesn't look bad. Meguire's CLEANER/WAX might be enough to clean it up. Next step would be Maguire's ULTIMATE COMPOUND to rub it out if the cleaner/wax doesn't seem to help, then hit it with the cleaner/wax.

Hit ALL the local car shows and cruse nights that you can fit in. ALWAYS carry a pen and notepad to take down names, numbers and notes! Ask around for a GOOD old-school parts store that still stocks 292/312 parts or can get what you need. Catalog racks on the counter is a good sign. NEVER make a parts run without the old part in hand to compair! Chain stores might be good for bulbs and shop supplies, but LOST for anything that requires a catalog, because our shit is TOO OLD. :(

KNOW what size GLASS FUSES the car needs for critical curcuits - headlights, taillights, turn signals, and carry spairs. Your manual should have a list in the electrical section.

GAUGES to monitor oil pressure and water temp are a MUST. Stock gauges don't seem to be much better than the warning lights. You NEED gauges with NUMBERS, mounted where you can SEE them! If you don't have them, get them ASAP!!!

Adding a FRONT SWAY BAR makes a great improvement in handling, along with good shocks. Make damn-sure the front-end is SOLID - no worn bushings, ball joints, tie-rods, etc. Wheel bearings greased and adjusted CORRECTLY.

Shit, I could write a book... but there are lots out there. Keep your eyes peeled in used book stores for basic auto repair DIY books from the '50's through the '70's as a primer. Books and youtube help, but NO MATCH for a pair of seasoned eyes for some tasks... AND you have someone to toast a beer with, when the job is sucessful! :)

Good Luck, Tim

Texas57 and BobbyRay like this.