Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects reaching Gary Maxwell at blackboard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TBONE1964, Aug 28, 2015.

1. TBONE1964

TBONE1964

I generally try to be a very patient person and maybe I am getting to excited but I have not been able to contact Gary Maxwell. I do not want to be a nag but would love to have him build me a 32 frame before he decides he is not going to do them any more. I sent my first email on July 22nd just after a phone message and the latest email just this evening.

Just wondering if anyone has had contact with him recently. I know there are some threads from back in 2012 that mention him, but nothing recent.

Thank you in advance,
    Tom

2. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I have never been able to reach a live person when calling the shop. I gave up and purchased one from another source. Perhaps he is just busy building frames and can't take time to answer the phone.

3. We've bought 5 frames from Gary and never had any issues getting ahold of him. That was about 1 1/2 years ago though, things happen. I'd find a buddy close by and have him try and drop in on him.

4. I don't know the guy in question but I can speak from experience that many people don't check their e-mails on a regular basis,if they are busy e-mail is generally forgotten.

Try using the phone. HRP

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From looking at his website it looks like it is a small shop without not many folks working in it. There may not be a front desk person and like a lot of folks who are armpit deep in work in the shop he may not be the best at stopping to answer phone calls or check emails.
    It might be time for someone in the Bakersfield area to swing by and see how he's doing.

6. In business the squeaky wheel gets the grease,a telephone is a squeaky wheel and will normally be answered,at least it was in my business. HRP

7. If that does not pan out for you check with Gary at Cornhusker hot rods, he builds some killer 32 frames. Goes by krylon32 on the hamb.

8. I haven't spoken to Gary on the phone for a while, but that's only because of the 14 hr time difference. He does answer my emails though. He is flat out and couldn't imagine that he would stop building chassis' anytime soon. I would keep on the phone and try and ring first thing in the morning or last thing at the end of the day. Even if you get the answering machine, leave a message and tell him you will ring tomorrow at 8:00 am. Good luck!

9. 51box

51box
    from MA

I contacted him recently and it was 6-8 months wait time to get a basic perimeter frame. I couldn't get him on the phone after trying for 2 weeks, it was an email response I finally received.

10. Fogger

Fogger

Gary's workmanship and '32 frame jig are first quality. He's an artist and his frames are things of beauty. Last time I visited him he was a one man shop and jammed with orders. The original crossmember '32 frame he did for me is spot on and I am very pleased with the results. Keep trying to reach him but be prepared for a wait for a finished product.

11. TBONE1964

TBONE1964

FYI,

I just spoke with (last week end) a very good source that tells me that Gary is not doing frames any longer.

This could be a false statement but I have tried several times to contact Gary with no response from him. I hope he is doing well.

Take care,
    Tom

12. He told me in March of this year it would be 4 months or so for one of his frames. I shifted gears and called Duane Jones at Kiwi Konnection also in Bakersfield. He picked up the phone right away although he can be hard to find sometimes as well. Anyway he had just finished two, I bought one and had it brought up to Oregon by a friend in his p/u. His are also priced at a shade under 2k depending.

I'm happy with my Kiwi K frame and Duane's work is very nice, he himself is as fine a person as I've dealt with and stays very busy. My understanding is that they're all New Zealanders who at one time or another worked for Squeek Bell back when he owned Kiwi Konnection, I believe they were both welders there.
    Anyway Squeek went on to other endeavors and sold out to Duane while Gary got his own thing going.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  13. TBONE1964

TBONE1964

That would be great. I would love to see Duane's work. Perhapes next weekend if you are available on a Sat or Sun morning or any week day after or after 5 pm during the week. Let me know and I will plan on a visit.
    That is very nice of you to offer.

Take care,
    Tom

14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is a local name to toss around in your frame builder search, Schroeder Speed and Custom in Troutdale, Oregon. Darrell Schroeder is an artist, used to work for SAR and well known in GNRS circles. He built my 34 frame last year. He is just a quick run up the super slab from you. Check him out before you buy.

15. TBONE1964

TBONE1964

Thank you for that information. I just "liked" there facebook page and checked out the Web site. They have a very competitive price compared to Kiwi.

I appreciate it,
    Tom

16. patterg2003

patterg2003

17. 5window

5window

Sorry, but as a businessman, if you've got a business e-mail it deserves just as much respect as your phone. If you're not going to utilize it, get rid of it. Excuse, are just that-crap. No matter how good you are at anything, you are only as good as the next customer, not the last. Aren't we all pretty tired of the fantastic bodyman, frame builder, painter,etc who just can't be bothered with common courtesy or communication? The HAMB's full of these threads.

There are lots of quality frame builders out there and there are some suggestions given on this thread. Stop chasing after someone who doesn't care about your business and find someone who will treat you right.

18. Raunchy

Raunchy

I bought 2 frames from Gary about a year ago. As said absolutely beautiful. He did work at Kiwi Connection in the past and I believe did their frame jigs. I got some Ladder bars from him a while back and he told me he had stopped taking orders till he got caught up, which he may be by now It's hot there in the summer and he works a lot at night. Yes he is the only one there and doesn't answer the phone a lot but always called me back or answered emails. We even had Basque food at his favorite place when we picked up the frames. So I would say it is worth it for his frames. I liked his ladder bars because they have a heavier bottom tube and the quality is so good. Frames were all welded by him and ground smooth at the boxing. I couldn't be more pleased.

19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

There's a lot of excellent craftsmen that are one man operations. So good that they have more work than they can possibly handle.
    They're content to do all their own work and have their reasons for not hiring help or expanding their business (afraid to hand off the reins, the 'pains' of having employees, etc). Fair or not, these guys sometimes develop an industry reputation of "doing great work, but being tough to deal with". You wait 6+ months on the waiting list or select another shop.
    In his case, he could probably bring in a jack of all trades helper at least part-time to return phone calls and emails, gopher parts runs, shipping and receiving, some set up, minor fab and grind welds, etc while he concentrates on welding and large scale fab. Relieved of all the nickel and dime stuff may free him up to churn out an extra frame or two a week w/o having to put in any additional hours. The frames/chassis would still be Maxwell built.
    My idea of being in business is to expand it to the point that you eventually DON'T have to work.

20. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Kiwi konnection has been building frames loong before Gary started working for him , I believe a little while after Gary started, the center crossmember and rear shock mounts were re designed, Gary was probably responsible for helping on that...

Gary's frames are a copy of a kiwi frame ... It's not the other way around ...
    I met Gary once... seems like a nice guy but I have always been happy with doing business with Duane and sqweek at kiwi konnection , always went out of their way to make sure I was happy.... And they answer their phone

21. 5window

5window

I'm not implying anyone's work is substandard. I continue to say that if you list a way to contact you, promise something by a certain time, agree to do some work or generally say "I will do this for you", then you need to stand up by that. If you're too busy to answer the phone, don't have a phone. But, don't string folks along with false hope,either.

22. COLEMAN BROTHERS CUSTOMS

COLEMAN BROTHERS CUSTOMS
    from So Cal

I dealt with Gary last year. I've always just texted him, and he always eventually got back to me. Sometimes later that evening when he could take a break, or within a day or two.

He told me up front it would be a long wait. I needed a '32 chassis 'cause I wasn't yet set up to build one, and I know his work is outstanding. He's never strung me along. It eventually took me 9 months to get a chassis, but I understood that I'd have to wait when I agreed to have him build it. He's a one-man operation.

As somebody already mentioned, in the summer months in Bakersfield, it's HOT! Gary & I talked about that. It's impossible for him to put in the hours he'd like, in order to fulfill his commitments. I don't know about him possibly not building chassis anymore. But, I do know, like a lot of us who've done a lot of heavy physical work, his back is just about shot. That'll slow someone down considerably.

If he's still building chassis, and he commits to build you one, it'll take awhile but will be very nice and a steal for the money.