Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pre War dry lakes racing in 8mm

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 7, 2015.

1. I ran across this piece purely by accident,the footage is great as is the music. HRP

2. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Looks like they are going a zillion miles per hour! Love the ingenuity as well.
    Music is great.Thanks for sharing.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

cool, all roadsters back then?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. cretin

cretin

That was super cool. Just wish I could hear all those cars!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks HRP! That was posted once before and someone ID'd most of the cars. The Miller-Ford and Tommy Lee Type 51 Bugatti along with his Offy powered speedster were high end cars then running with Model T& A powered cars along with some early V8's. Bob

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Tommy Lee car today. [​IMG]

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

You can never watch the video too many times! The Tommy Lee Type 51 is still racing in Europe. Bob

[​IMG]

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That pretty much sums up what this Hotrod thing is all about doesn't it the look, the speed, the sound, the smells, the scenery, mechanical ingenuity, the women, good times, friends. Amazing the new cars being modified more or less off the showroom floor. A very beautiful era dirt and all. That was just before the hell began...just which was 1941, albeit they were involved earlier in other ways. All the fun came to an end for a bit. A lot of these people never came back to the fun that they left. We may even now be driving vehicles owned by some of these people...at all corners of the globe. Stuff gets around. My car migrated north. Who knows the story of it. Again just part of the ambience of Hotrods and Customs...When the video ends what pops up "The California Kid" Vic is not a happy camper. YouTube is great for this stuff. Like 37Kid said gotta watch this stuff it is timeless and at the heart of the culture. I guess these lakes and flats led partially to the evolution of racing tracks and straight strips as this type of land form is not common everywhere.

HOTRODPRIMER and The37Kid like this.
  11. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

It is awesome to see hot rods as they actually were! No tig welds, over polished, over body worked mid life crisis type.

Real cars built by greasy guys in small shops with heart.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Well said Stogy. & thnx for reposting HRP. Although I have a great appreciation for the history, I'll never "really know" what it was like, but film preservation like this certainly helps pass on the history of tradional hot rods.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks - good to see again - imagine will be seeing more modern films of dry lakes running at El Mirage until Bonneville heals up

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Dumprat. I gotta say your right a lot of these cars were rough around the edges however some were quite polished and finished. These guys and women came from all walks engineers, machinists, welders, technically inclined, and their skills and positions and who they knew showed in their execution of their vehicles. Some had way more to invest in the final product. It was as you say as well a less gaudy time but there I am sure was some fugly ducklings. Many records or milestones in Hotrod culture were born or evolved across the spectrum of the people involved why...because of passion to succeed...money being an object or not...I wonder if Howard Hughs or Edsel ever popped up with his cool custom I see from time to time to mill around and participate in these events. Hey some of the guys (and gals) on the Hamb may know they were there many with that spirit living on within.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  15. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

My point was more directed to the focus. It was about going fast and having fun. Not about sitting in a lawn chair bragging about how much money you spent.

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Going fast and having fun in the right place. Isky, Edelbrock, Meyer and all the others...they all like you said got down and dirty for the focus...Understood. Interesting project you have on the go by the way. Hey I have a lawn chair in the back of the car but I'm not a bragger and sometimes I wish it wasn't so expensive.

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. Great video HRP, good find...

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. 19Fordy

19Fordy

That is excellent and timeless. Wonder if any of those folks are still around.
    Great history. Today we have push trucks. It is true that the good that you
    do does live on after you're gone.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. In reality all the guys in the video are young,not a greybeard in sight.

I would venture to say at least half the members here on the hamb are over 50 years of age but us old farts are still enjoying our hot rods & customs,even though there may be a chair behind the car. HRP

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Well thought out reply. HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. oj

oj

What is interesting is our obsession with our roots, the history, people and the cars. I can't think of another sport that has such firm links to the past.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I understand what you mean Prime. But there are still lots of grey dudes in my area racing, building and having fun, not sitting and ranting. Hell at the rate I am going I am gonna look like the "Glad bag man" but the time I am 50. It ain't white it is "arctic blonde"

volvobrynk and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Until Russetta Timing Association was formed, for the organized events, it was roadsters only with SCTA being the largest organization.

volvobrynk and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. Didn't know that,thanks for the info. HRP

25. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HRP,--------Thanks for sharing!

26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

even El Mirage having problems - standing water at stating line -likely will cancel Sept 13 event

27. Seems Mother Nature is wreaking havoc on all the events lately. HRP