Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects classic gary's '28 sport coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by classic gary, Sep 16, 2013.

1. classic gary

classic gary

IMG_0115.jpg IMG_0117.jpg

Attached Files:

2. classic gary

classic gary

exhaust isn't done, on the car now is so i could enjoy it while i gathered $ for an under car/out the back, system.

3. uncle buck

uncle buck

Thanks for telling us that. The car looks great if you look around the exhaust - and sometimes you have to do whatever is necessary to be able to take a drive so it's understandable good job!

4. classic gary

classic gary

the car is up on jack stands again. getting it ready for it's first long road trip. checking for leaks, changing the engine oil, adjusting brakes. found out why the car went left on throttle and right off throttle. I put "Johnny Joints" in the ladder bars, my original thought was to make sure the 6-71 blown 327 wasn't going to make HP the rear couldn't cover. Well, that didn't work out. The 302 in it now, blew-up the joint on the right side. It wasn't going to kill me, but it was a SURPRISE the first time after it blew when I stepped on the gas and the car moved. So I made some polyurethane bushings to replace the johnny joints. We learn by doing, right?
    Trip is to Alamogordo, N.M. (Holloman, A.F.B.), (I figure 500 miles when it's all over), for a Veteran's day car show and parade. And my Son and kids live there also. So it's a multi bird with 1 stone kinda thing.
    I'll take pics, see ya's later.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I heard Johnny joints were just about indestructible. Can you tell us what part of the joint failed? Gary

6. classic gary

classic gary

There is a C clip that holds everything together. When I found the problem, the c clip was dangling from the thru- bolt. Took it apart and the "inner race(?)" was "rattle lose". I don't know which caused what. the other side is still very tight. I replaced them both. And the car doesn't even have 300 miles on it.......and my understanding was near indestructible also, oh well.......