Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Don't try to manipulate Hemis by yourself

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tubman, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

2. SlamIam

SlamIam

Wow, just did this with my 59A, wheel got caught on a stone when I was rolling the flathead across the patio, engine rolled completely over and broke off the fuel pump stand. Amazing how fast I rolled that thing back onto the wheels before my wife saw what I had done (I'm 64 - felt it in my legs, back and shoulders several days after). Haven't tried it with my Hemi yet, hope not to.

3. von Dyck

von Dyck

There's some elementary geometry and physics at play here. Your lift point on your "cherry picker" is way beyond the forward wheels.
    Bolts: grade 8 (mentioned previously), thread engagement: one and a half times bolt diameter, flat washer between bolt head and chain link.

Experience is a harsh teacher. I am amazed that I've lasted this long and survived numerous fubars.

4. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

When I was at my old shop,there was a guy who sold mail order motorcycle parts across the parking lot.He had a stash of antique stuff he would sell at swap meets to pay for his projects. In one of his government conspiracy fits he felt diesel was at 4 dollars plus because of the government focusing on working class who needed to haul their tools.
    Yea,he was out there at times but entertaining to say the least.
    So,he was going to convert his diesel ford van to run on French fry oil fromChinese restaurants.
    He needed two saddle tanks for his van,I needed knucklehead parts for a project...perfect I thoght. Made two tanks out of .125 aluminum with heating coils to tie into the cooling system,sending units and caps. Each one held 50 gallons of used cooking oil. Mounted inside the van from the wheel wells to the back door
    The maiden voyage was to pick up a 352 hemi in Ohio. The goal was to make the whole trip on veggie oil.
    When he gets home the next day he tells me he thinks one of the welds are leaking on the tanks,I tell him I doubt it being I put 20hg of vacuum for 24 hours on each tank,but anything is possible with over 20 feet of welding on each one.
    When I walked to the van there was a big puddle of oil under the rear bumper and 5-6 ferrel cats liking the oil as it dripped from the van like it was cat nip or something. They were going nuts on this stuff.
    Opened the doors to find a hemi that bounced around for 3 states crushing both tanks.
    He never even tied it down.
    I fixed it for nothing but told him they were not hemi proof.

alanp561, Lil'Alb and falcongeorge like this.