Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 Chevy Styleline Deluxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ChevTruck, Sep 1, 2015.

1. So i've bought a 51 Chevy Styleline Deluxe a couple of weeks ago from connecticut... I've had it transported down to NJ where it's been shipped across the pond to the UK. It left last Friday and should arrive in about 2 1/2 weeks....

Once it arrives in the UK it's going to a friends to sort out the brakes and get it registered onto UK plates, once that's done i'm going to travel over from France where I live to collect it and drive it about 500 miles back down to France with my 4 year old son!
    Super excited and so is he :)

Here's a picture...

upload_2015-9-1_21-29-11.jpeg

2. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Nice! I assume you had someone look it over for you or did you take a holiday over here?

3. No neither! The car runs and drives, it's had the gearbox rebuilt, new clutch, battery, generator, exhaust.... It also passed a 2015 NY state safety inspection. My shipper took a look over it and confirmed it all looks good. There's a bit of rust in the door bottoms but nothing major.

4. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Interesting, let us know how it goes and any progress with whatever plans you have!:)

5. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I have one of those too. It sounds like you are about to have a big adventure with your boy. Congrats!

6. Nostrebor what do you have in your 51? It looks like it sits just right, could you post a bigger picture up?

I was going to go with a sbc 383, 700r4, mustang ii front end, 9" rear and new rear leaf spring kit but....
    i'm now thinking about a bigger inline 6.

What do you guys think...any comments would be grateful!

7. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

Looks like you are on the the road to have some fun, congratulation. chevy&nash62711 018.jpg

8. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I'll chase down a few pics when I'm not on my cell phone. As it sits on my avatar it is still 1951 suspension but lowered heavily.

9. Thanks butcherted! I love it, what setup do you have ?

Nostrebor It looks awesome sits just right! What engine do you have in it?

10. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

350/350 set up

11. donboyd4

donboyd4

12. donboyd4

donboyd4

That's a gorgeous '51, 49ChevTruck. Looks a lot like mine. This is me and my 3-1/2-year-old Grandson with my '51.

13. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I wish I had never sold my old 51.
    Jimbo

Chevrolet 1951 Coupe.jpg

14. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

It's a small block Chevy T350 Camaro rear end combo in the pic. We are currently re-working the car with a fresh powertrain... SBC, T5 5 speed, Camaro rear end, going to bags front and rear, and a non-traditional suspension system on both ends (M2 style No Limit front, truck arm style Jimenez rear).

When I bought the car it was on 51 suspension, fully notched frame in the rear with 4" of lowering blocks, leaves removed, and air shocks. I don't suggest you go to this extent as it puts the suspension below the scrub line on stock wheels. The front had stepped lower arms, Aerostar springs, shortened bump stops, and modified steering arms to get geometry back in line. The front end worked surprisingly well. Brakes were stock, and worked as stock, but a bit less than desirable after years driving modern stuff, so they are getting upgraded as well, but staying manual.

The car as we drove it last year was roughly 3" to the crossmembers going down the road, and with my family and gear in it, we found every low spot with a tire rub or a crossmember. There are plenty of low spots to find here in southern Missouri so it added "flavor" to our trips! It didn't bother me, but my wife was not impressed. This is why the suspension upgrades.

Here is the pic that snagged me from the for sale ad...
    $_57.JPG

It is a solid old car and has been a blast to work on. I can't wait to get it back on the road next spring.

ryan-o likes this.
  15. Looks just right! I'm still not sure what to do at the moment... I think get it and drive it for a couple of months first then go from there

16. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I spent a whole summer not changing mine before deciding. It really was just fine as built other than the scrub line issue in the rear.

I struggle with leaving them alone as building them is my favorite part. At the end I just could not resist.

17. Don Boyd that looks like a super clean 51! What are you running in it? I bet your granson loves it!

I think i've finally decided what route i'm going with my 51 Chevy..... I had a chat with Larry at Clifford Performance about building me a hopped up 261 with twin 38 weber carbs, I want something different and the 261 will definitley be different to everyone with a sbc.

The search is now on for 261 truck engine....

18. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

That sound great to me, good luck with the swap.

19. donboyd4

donboyd4

It has the original 235 with a powerglide, but the only thing "in it" that matters is that little boy. When he tells people, "I'm a car guy!" it warms my heart!