Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods ford 427 question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rodnut, Sep 4, 2015.

1. rodnut

rodnut
    from indiana

good morning ! yesterday I purchased a 1963 ford 427 engine is there a way to tell what model car it came from

2. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

If it is a '63 then I would think a '63 1/2 Galaxie. Others more knowledgable will be along shortly.

3. Bigblue61

Bigblue61

You could also get them in the Thunderbird that year though there we're many built with that option

4. rodnut

rodnut
    from indiana

thx for the info, the previous owner said his friend removed it from a 1964 mustang in 1975 and based on my research Holman moody did build 10 427 64 stangs now wouldnt it be a hoot if this was one of those engines

5. I think you can eliminate Falcons.:D;)

40fordtudor and volvobrynk like this.
  6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

My friend Gary Williams had a Falcon Sprint with a 427. Came with a 260 but it left with a side oilier high riser.

7. rodnut

rodnut
    from indiana

richfox the engine I bought is a top oiler low riser with 2x4 holleys all the date codes match , sure would be fun in a falcon

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Sure would be fun in an A. :D Never drove one of the older ones but I did drive a '65 Galaxie 500 with a side oiler medium rise and it was more fun than you could shake a stick at. As much fun as they are in a full bodied car I can imagine it would be more fun than a barrel of monkies in a light car.

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. In '63 they were only factory installed in one car... well, actually two; the full-size Fords and Mercurys. The 427 wasn't installed as a regular production option in anything else by Ford until '67 when it was offered in the Fairlane 500 (but not the GT) and all Comets. It could also be a marine/industrial motor. A pretty large number of these were installed in boats, a smaller number as stationary power units. Checking casting numbers is the only way to narrow this down.

Now, Ford contracted with Dearborn Steel and Holman-Moody for various 'specials'; the Thunderbolts, the AFX Comets, Falcons and Mustangs. But I believe the Mustangs were all cammers, not wedge motors.

The 427 T-bird wasn't offered by Ford, Tasca Ford built a few 'prototypes' on special order.

10. rodnut

rodnut
    from indiana

porknbeaner ! the great thing is I have a garage full of parts and no car so my option are endless , better check the classifieds lol

11. Bodies are easy to come by and you got a motor that would push a big ol heavy whale of a car around the high banked tri-oval. I personally would be after two things, one would be a light body and the other would be a sponsor to buy me race fuel and a trailer to haul enough of it to drive more then 50 miles from home. :D

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. Put that sukka in a kit Cobra body.

550Coupe likes this.
  13. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I would check it out, do the measurements. Keep this in mind...
    352s become 390s on sale day. So it's goes for "427s" as well.
    Does it have cross bolted mains?

14. rodnut

rodnut
    from indiana

yes f-one it does have cross drilled mains , my plan is to disassemble and measure and see what I have . along with the engine was a box of extra engine parts including extra pistons and they are 427

15. finn

finn

If it is a '63 427, the only factory installation would have been the full sized Galaxie and Mercury family sedans.

Anything else would have started with an over the counter engine and have involved some sort of fab shop..

loudbang likes this.
  16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Check out the casting numbers.
    I also read somewhere that due to the way the 427 is cast, it won't go over 30 thou and will need resleeving

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  17. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

If it needs rebuilding keep the over bore as small as possible with .030 max. I had one of those motors in 64 in a 57 Ford Custom 300. I bought the engine and trans out of a roll over light weight 63 1/2 Galaxie with the aluminum T-10 for the outrageous price of $600 . It had Ballenger Bros nightmare cross over headers on it with a bunch of slip together tubes that only fit when they were new. Those motors are as tough as they come next to side oilers

loudbang likes this.
  18. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I know a guy who put one in a Falcon to drag race. First time out it twisted the body and bent the cowl.

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, did you verify the block through the casting numbers as being a '63 427? Holman and Moody stamped the motors that they worked on in areas on a machined surface with HM after a three letters/numbers or H---M. lots of info out there at holmanmoody.com, Face Book, You Tube

20. If your block needs to be board, be sure to have your machine shop do a sonic test before you do anything. They are known for extra thin cyl walls and off center bores. In other words a thin side and thick side in the boars. I had a nice .020 block that would have cleaned at .030 but 3 holes would not have made it. I can't tell you how dissapointed I was. I came up with 2 more blocks and after checking them I still don't have a 427 block to build. I finally setteled for a 416 ci. F.E. motor.
    Oh Ya, check your lifter boars also. If it's a solid lifter block the lifter boars become egg shape quite often. You can sleeve them back to standard, no problem if you catch it.
    The Wizzard

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. rodnut

rodnut
    from indiana

jalopy joker ! where are the casting numbers located and what should they be for a 63 427

22. If you post pics of the block around the oilpan and the pistons for it, I can help id some of it.

23. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

loudbang likes this.
  24. rodnut

rodnut
    from indiana

thx wfo guy I will try to post pics ,I have to work soon so it may be tomorrow

25. rodnut

rodnut
    from indiana

mgtstumpy I checked for numbers and found c3ae 8015 above the motor mount holes there is a flat spot where the numbers are in your pic but no numbers there ,also there are two sets of cross drill holes one where yours are and another set higher up on the block

26. FEDER

FEDER

So You have 6 cross bolts? Only aftermarket blocks have six. Shelby aluminum is the only one I know of, maybe Pond not sure.

27. FEDER

FEDER

Here's a new BBM 427 block. In this pic You see three plugs above the cross bolts. They are oil plugs for the side oiler model. Your block wouldn't have these if it's a 63. 65 and later were side oiler locks.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  28. rodnut

rodnut
    from indiana

FEDER! I feel kinda stupid I was only looking at one side of the block the other is against the wall only one side has double holes and I don't think they go through the block

29. barstowpo

barstowpo

Man that BBM block is purdy.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  30. Casting numbers on FE blocks are notoriously unreliable....