Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 41 buick retrofit question for body parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tin Can, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Tin Can

Tin Can

I recently picked up a 1941 buick coupe. I am in need of a passenger side rear fender. Does anyone know if all Buick cars from 41 share the same fenders? I have been told that a 40 Super, or a 41 Cadillac series 60 fender will fit. I am building a custom and may be extending the rear of the fender so if that area is different I am not worried about that area.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Depends on what version (model) Buick you have.

In 1941 and 1942 there are two series 40 Specials, Series 40A and series 40B. The Series 40A is a GM "A" body shared with Chevy, lower line Pontiac, Olds and Buick. For Buicks, these were offered in 2 door notchback back coupe, convertible and 4 door sedans only.

The Series 40B (Special) is based on GM "B" body and is shared with middle line Pontiac, Olds and Series 61 Cadillacs. For Buicks, these were only built in 2 and 4 door fastback models. This body was also shared with Buick Series 60 Century models, though with a longer wheelbase to accommodate the 320 engine.

The Series 50, 70 and 80 utilized the GM "C" body (Super, Roadmaster and Limited, respectively)

The Buick (and other brands) rear fenders are unique to each GM body series, i.e., "A", "B" or "C". If you have a Super (Series 50 "C" body) for instance, you can use 50 or 70 rear fenders.

ray

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  3. Tin Can

Tin Can

Here is a picture of the trim tag fin the car. I'm not completely sure what body it is.

Attached Files:

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Body model type is 56S..........that is a Super 5 Passenger Coupe. 1940 & 1941 Super and Roadmaster fenders are the same.

Ray

5. Tin Can

Tin Can

Will a cadillac fender work?

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

1940 Series 62 Coupe rear fenders should fit the body......may have to use both left and right as there may be a width difference. Series 62 Sedan (not 60 Special) may fit....I am not sure about that and don't have access to a parts book to see if Coupe and Sedan fenders are the same, but in photos they look to have the same contour.

Ray

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  7. cornfield county

cornfield county
    from Indiana

My old Hollander interchange manual shows 1941 Buick 50 and 70 series only for direct interchange. That doesn't mean that others won't fit with some mods.

8. Tin Can

Tin Can

Thank you for the input guys. I know what to look for now