Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs fitting a 1946-48 car axle on a model a frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jville_hot_skater, Sep 4, 2015.

1. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

i had a quick question.
    there is a complete 1946 axle for sale locally, i was wondering how hard is it to fix the perch bores to actually accept the model a spring perches? im looking for an axle that will work on my model a frame... is the bore to thin or wide? has anyone stuck a later axle under their model a before?

i know the axle is about an half inch longer, and the spring perches are wider apart....just wondering if anyone had any insight or leads to anyone whos done it

2. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

this is the front axle im talking about....

3. Perch cl is 41" model a is 36&1/2" maybe using the 46-48 spring or have the main leaf made.

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The axle has the spring perch bosses set wider than the Model A...and closer to the king pin bosses.
    To use this axle with an 'A' spring, you would have to have a main leaf made, about 2.5" longer than the original 'A'.
    If using the Model A wishbone, spacers would be needed at the wishbone bosses, an 'A' axle is 2.25" tall at the boss, and the '41-'48 is 2".
    Look for a '33-'36. If you're going to have it dropped, use '28-'36. They are longer at the ends, and drop nicely.
    How far from 'Jiveville' is Oklahoma? Look up 'Dropped axles' on Google. Sid's is where you want to go.

5. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

thanks, do you know if anyone has put an later ford car front axle on a model a?

6. A Boner

A Boner

With the wider pearch location, the tires will hit the split wishbones sooner, resulting in a larger turning circle.

7. Why not just use the complete axle. It will make a serious drop in your chassis. I did a fame splice and gained about 6" of motor space while keeping the stock wheel base and frame horns.
    The Wizzard 02-15-12 002.jpg

8. There are ways to deal with this issue also.
    The Wizzard