Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Recreating the jesse lopez coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jivin jer, Aug 18, 2012.

1. jivin jer

jivin jer

That's right Dave, you're correct about the why on the garnish. I just got in from a three day excursion to Waco. Did some sight seeing and exploring southern culture.

I will get going on the progress.

2. jivin jer

jivin jer

010 (3)[1].jpg To bring everything up to date we need to revisit the glass work, which consists of the stainless trim around the windshield/dash area. Getting that done would mean I can install the spotlights. You all knew that. I felt most comfortable having the glass guy do this because I paid him to do it and I’m not interested in learning how to force the moldings into that windshield gasket. Unfortunately Glenn has had some serious eye trouble and as of this date it still remains to be done. With all the things that need doing I’m not concerned about the time factor.

One of the things that I have been dealing with is “the incredible shrinking car”. Painting lacquer without heat puts you at a distinct disadvantage. I have been using Texas heat this summer to my distinct advantage to deal with this issue. This is (pretty much) old news. How about some new news?

Jesse has informed me that the headlights aren’t correct. He says that he didn’t want the retaining rings to show like they do in every frenched headlight that I’ve ever seen. Looking at the original pics they are plainly seen to have no retaining ring. Pretty cool, I missed it completely. Why I wasn’t told before, I don’t know, but I’m glad that I was told now. Jesse doesn’t remember how he did this.
    003 (3).JPG

3. OLLIN

OLLIN

As I was reading this, I was just thinking about how many of the little details I could remember of the cars I've owned/built in the last 15-20 years, and I'm struggling. Imagine trying to remember something 65-70 years back! The fact that he remembers as much as he does is really a testament to how much of his heart and soul he put into it! Thanks again for doing this and doing such a good job of documenting the progress jer. You are a true craftsman.
    This is real custom history in the making!

4. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

So, does that mean the welder and paint gun are coming back out?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  5. Hmmm. Yet another interesting tidbit about this cool custom! I admire Jesse's memory and envy your tenacity Jer! These details will make the tribute a true masterpiece! It will be interesting to see how it's done.

...I have the rings:
    Frenched.jpg

Dave

6. Torchie

Torchie

Interesting indeed.
    Torchie

7. jivin jer

jivin jer

012.JPG View attachment 2998301 View attachment 2998301 011.JPG Jesse can't confirm it, but this is how I think he did those headlights. I cut a retaining ring, reversed it, and then tacked, and welded everything up solid. I guess we could call it a "Jesse French".

MannyK likes this.
  8. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

Green is on fire! ......great job, at the moment to drive the car, you burn the paint!....you've got balls! ;-)

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  9. ??? mmm, OK.... Looks spiffy Jer....

CadMad likes this.
  10. Hey..! Make the ring part of the fender! Clever boy Jer!

Dave

11. jivin jer

jivin jer

There's an earthquake, just around the bend.

12. Torchie

Torchie

Uh Ohhhh..........
    Torchie

13. Worse than having to weld trim rings onto an already painted car?:eek:

14. jivin jer

jivin jer

Unfortunately we need to talk about the nose/grille thing one last time, this is it, I promise. My initial attempt to get things clarified with Jesse about this (way back then), could be described as a hit and run at best. I asked him if he used the original ’41 bumper brackets when he did the nose. He said yes and I thought I was rollin’. To me this meant that the “46 gravel shield was just above it.

This was at the beginning of this project and after Junior’s car and all the atta boys I got I was feeling pretty full of myself and thought I had the “feel” for this job. A very dangerous condition to be in when doing something like this. Thinking that I had everything I needed for this part of the project.

As it started to become clear that there was going to be a problem with how this looked, I was convinced that this was another example of what the distortion in the old pics can do . I brushed everything off using distortion as cover. The great comments from the guys that came to my defense were really appreciated, but only added to the problem of me actually coming to grips with this issue. I was actually preparing to proclaim to the whole world that the car we see in the original pics NEVER EXISTED.

As this whole excrutiating experience has played itself out, and I have arrived at this place in time, something strange happened. It was as if the Kustom Car GOD held me over the cliff, let me see the bottom, and asked me “are you sure you want to continueley be fighting this battle?”

My reply was OK, I need to send Jesse some pics that show/accentuate that long droopy nose at its best/worst, and get his reply. I got it alright, loud and clear. “What the @#%* is this?” etc. etc.

It turns out that he did use the stock brackets as he said. The problem is that I didn’t press him further about any details because of the aformentioned mental condition. In the stock position the brackets point down. To get that grille in the correct relationship to the hood he lifted/tilted them up, still using the same mounting holes (now inlarged). This raises the gravel shield (to which the grille sits on) up into the configuration that we all have seen in these old original pics forever.

So while having to step back and painfully realize what has happened, I am jazzed about actually being able to (now) duplicate the cool car that we all know and love.

Olson, loudbang and TonyVan like this.
  15. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

May the force be with you. I have followed this build avidly and have tremendous respect for your skill set and dedication to get this right. It is already a spectacular car and your determination to get it as right as is humanly possible is remarkable. I wish you the best in your mission.

16. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

This continues to be amazing stuff. Really!

17. Torchie

Torchie

If it was easy, anyone could do it Jer.
    Many of us were in on that "Pic vs the real thing" with the grill location.Pros and cons. Given the info you had at the time. It all made sense.
    But now you have the truth. And the truth shall set you free. Or something like that.....LOL
    The best looking 41 is just getting better.
    Torchie

18. Glad the grille is getting sorted out. It can´t be easy to start pulling the car apart again.

19. Since you are bringing it up Jerry, it looks in some of the old pics that the grille isn't sitting exactly on the pan, either. Some of the pics look like the grille is maybe an inch or so up above the pan?

20. Wow; people discussing the grille's location without getting jumped on.

Been following from day one and wish to thank Jerry again for sharing his little coupe with us along with both the ups and downs.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    daddio211 likes this.
  21. jivin jer

jivin jer

22. You are in it now!! :O Go Jerry, go!

23. Holy crap you are a mad man Jer. I can't imagine taking a car that looked so good and was that close to being finished and tearing into again like this. Your dedication to getting it right is inspiring.

slv63, rodncustomdreams and daddio211 like this.
  24. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

The path of truth.......congratulation for your determination.

25. Torchie

Torchie

All of the above........
    Torchie

26. daddio211

daddio211

You may be the only builder here who would tear down a recently finished beautiful car for such a truly minor detail. I say minor, but we know (and respect) your level of dedication to get things "right".

I think we all look at our own work and say "I can do better" and take it a step further. You, sir, are a madman. You get it perfect the first time and say "I can make it perfecter."

MannyK and loudbang like this.
  27. jivin jer

jivin jer

014.JPG 015.JPG 016.JPG 021.JPG Jesse said that when Sam put the new '48 Cad grille up to the '41 Ford nose that was stripped of all the components he said " this grille looks like it was made for this car". That was difficult to see in the location that I had it in at first. The more the grille was raised, the more I understood what Sam meant. In all, the grille was raised 2" from where I had it, it sits 1/4" off the gravel shield to make install/remove easier.
    When Jesse saw these pics he said, "you nailed it". I can tell you that this is much better than being "nailed". Even worse for eternity. View attachment 3003482 View attachment 3003482

hotrod54chevy, MannyK, Olson and 6 others like this.
  28. my hats off to you Jer ! wow ... great work... attention to detail par none !

29. Torchie

Torchie

You got the word from the man himself."You nailed it" Congratulations Jer.!!!!
    Torchie

30. loudbang

loudbang

Man when you decide to do something you work at the speed of light. :eek: