Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 302 crank pulley

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chappychapperton, Aug 31, 2015.

1. chappychapperton

chappychapperton

Hey,

I have a 73 block, 5.0 302, in my 51 ford F1. I currently have it running on a alt/wp/crank setup and I have since installed a power steering box. So I need to move to a two groove crank pulley and I have found one at the wreckers. Looking online at the stamped numbers this pulley is from a 76/77/78 Ford cobra 302. Will this work on my engine? I assume it will but man these ford pulley systems and brackets vary. Thanks

2. Yes, that pulley will fit your crank damper. Will it match up with what you have? Well, maybe....

The 63-69 SBF belt drives in the 3-bolt pulley crank damper versions would allow some pulley swapping fairly easy. But when Ford changed to the 4-bolt pulley damper versions, the number of pulley variations went through the roof. So will that particular pulley work? Probably no way to tell from the part number. You can measure the distance between the pulley mounting face and the next (or only) pulley groove and if they match (along with the diameter), then this will at least fit and allow you to retain your current belt drive. You'll still need to come up with a matching power steering pump/pulley/mounting bracket 'set' to add your power steering if you want a bolt-on deal. If you don't have a selection of parts to swap until you find something that works, the easiest method is to replace the entire front dress (pulleys, water pump, alternator/power steering mounts and the pump, and maybe the timing cover/damper) off another SBF that has a 'complete' set-up. The cheapest method (if the double-groove pulley will work) is to take that pulley to the wrecking yard and find a power steering set-up that uses that size lower pulley. One fly in the ointment is there's a couple of damper lengths in the 4-bolt style, so you need to watch for that too.

3. chappychapperton

chappychapperton

Hey Steve I really appreciate the reply. I took off my crank pulley last night and the water pump pulley is too far out, it needs to be matched up to the inner crank groove and ps pulley. But the outer groove does line up to the alt do that is good. I am going to hunt for a water pump pulley that will align to the inner groove...... Or maybe Santa will bring me a cfr/march full v belt pulley set cause that just seems like a lit less headache.

4. Ford used a variety of belt combinations on the later motors.... While the early motors were almost always alt/water pump/crank pulley on one belt and power steering on a crank/pump belt (no water pump), that wasn't true on the later motors. You could find either the PS pump or the alternator as the two-pulley drive (no WP) although that belt was always the 'outside' one. No reason it has to be like that; if you can find brackets that line up the PS pump with the inner crank pulley belt groove, that will work too....

5. I went through that hellish nightmare of Ford sb pulleys. It was so messed up that I just pulled the 4 bolt setup off and went back to an old 3 bolt setup I had in some boxes. And I still had to fabricate my own alternator mount even with that. Ford's idea of changing so much stuff so often verges on stupid.

6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Not really,Chevy also used a short and long water pump too and the pulleys have to match also.The "short pulleys" water pumps were used on SBF's from 1964-69 and early 70's Econolines. The long pulleys started in 1970 and also the crank balancers went from 3 bolt to 4 bolt there are 3 lengths of balancers 1970-79 are usually the same 1980 and later are slightly longer when the first serpentine belts showed up after 1984 the 302 aka 5.0 when to a 50 oz balance factor all earlier and 351W's were 28 oz. You can use 70's 351W pulley stuff on the 302 also as long as you get all the donor stuff.Post #5 here goes into more detail: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/sbf-short-water-pump-pulleys.303600/

7. chappychapperton

chappychapperton

Steve that makes sense and might just work. If I can get my ps pulley to line up with my inner groove and run my alt/wp/crank together I won't have to shell out a bunch of cash. I will let you know how I make out. And Jeff thx for the link and info. I have a 4bolt balancer, 73 block with long water pump.