Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 2015 price for original 32 grille shell

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotrodmeister, Aug 23, 2015.

1. DAM! 40 grill shells...that comes close to being a HOARDER!!!!
    I have never got over how many original grills are still around after 83 years. My bet is NO OTHER car that old can boast that statement.

clem likes this.
  2. Better than a IRA. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. rockfish

rockfish

Sure they cost more than 10 bucks new. It would be crazy to pay the original price of a new one for an old used piece. :D

I'll add my comments about the fit of original inserts. I've got a pretty nice original insert that never fit quite right into a Brookville shell, but fits perfectly into an old fiberglass shell I have laying around. I keep dreaming of finding that 10 buck Henry shell and finding out they fit perfectly together. The parts I have now look good hanging on the wall until I can start a '32 sedan build some year. Kids and college come first for now:)

4. Anyone have an idea what the going prices are currently for '32 pickup grilles?

Steve

5. pitman

pitman

Speedway glass one is $260 on the 'bay.

6. Steve,I was jokingly gonna say a Goldguinea but in reality I looked it up,you could probably buy at least 10 -12 for the price of a goldgunie. HRP

7. Germ

Germ

I think it depends on if you are buying it from a douche or if you are buying it from someone who has a passion for it to end up on a car. If you were building a car and you needed the piece, $500 to $750 would be fair for me, but then again, so many fags need wall hangings to brag about or to impress their friends with.
    I deal with Impala stuff mainly now, and I keep to myself. I do not have much hot rod stuff left. The last one I sold was around $600 I think and it was uncut with the insert. I sold it to Brett for his Bonneville car..
    I have some speed equipment left from my collection. I post those pieces for sale on Facebook pages when I need money for "paint warfare"..
    Good luck to you.
    -FTW
    HWY 187 FOREVER
    100%ER'S

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Problem with 32 commercial shells is finding a good one. United Pacific about has that problem solved with the upcoming debut of their reproduction commercial shell. Very high quality and affordable. Saw one in Louisville and it looked nice.

9. Gary,did you happen to take a photo? HRP

11. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

He is pretty cool Kat that helps run HOP UP MAG, his name is Justin Baas. I owe him for his shell big time and when I have something that he needs it is his, that is how things should work in this hobby, it not about the $$$ but the friendships.

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"10 bucks for a original Deuce shell,they cost more than that when they were new! HRP"

Hmmm...'32 parts book...
    Shell with pad and molding, $8...grill is another $4.50...cap, 35 cents...emblem 25 cents, plus more for nut and washer...ornament around cap 45 cents, plus another 6 cents worth of hardware. Damn, that stuff added UP!
    Commercial shell $7.50, cap 50 cents.

13. pitman

pitman

Henry Thoreau's winter expense list revisited! ^^^

14. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

There are two originals listed here in the classifieds right now - $550 and $325 (NO, they are not mine!)
    Need a little work, but.....

15. I have seen the commercials sell any where from a couple hundred to $2500 for an nos. I paid $1200 for my commercial close to a year ago and it came with the impossible to find radiator cap. It is in very good condition and I was extremely lucky in that the seller let them both go. I have been offered $750 for the cap alone. I did not buy it for a wall hanger.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  16. Know of someone that has 6 of the commercial rad caps, one of them is NOS that I helped an aquaintance sell. Had I have known he was collecting them like trophies...

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Can we see some detailed photos of a '32 commercial cap? What is so special, how do you ID one? Bob

18. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I paid $12.50 for this one. He was asking $15 but I thought that was too much. Okay it was in the '80s when I bought it.
    Gary

SANY0001.jpg

19. X4

20. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

I have one left from my "35 years of collecting" stash, and I am taking it to the Nats North in Kalamazoo next week end to put it up for sale. It is the nicest one I have ever had and it wont be cheap. All original, no modifications, as nice an original as you will find anywhere these days...and you can't duplicate the finish.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and big duece like this.
  21. clem

clem

I know that it’s an old thread, but just to explain why some inserts don’t fit, is there were different surrounds and different grill inserts, probably due to the fact that they were made in different factories.
    I have 3 original ones currently and two are quite different, in shape and size, one is 3/4” longer than the other.