Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 235 chevy clutch problems ...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bhm25, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Bhm25

Bhm25
    from Ny

Having an issue with a chevy 235 in a 50 chevy . having an issue with not being able to put it in gear when its running due to grinding . I took the tranny out to replace clutch and a bad ring gear and throwout bearing. Since then once it is hot it does not want to go in gear again only heavy grinding . I adjusted the clutch as per manual . It does shift properly until it gets hot. Pretty stumped on what to look for or how about to fix this problem . Any help would be appreciated thanks.

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Pilot bushing or diaphragm spring in pressure ass'y.

3. Bhm25

Bhm25
    from Ny

The pressure plate is brand new. The pilot bushing looked good visually . The clutch seems to be disengaging visually when the pedal is operated . I guess it will have to come apart again o_O

4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Did you use the correct throwout bearing??

5. Fedman

Fedman

Once hot, if you cannot get it into first due to grinding.
    Did you try shifting into 3rd gear, stopping the input shaft and then shift to 1st gear?
    A lot of old non-syncro 1st gear trannies "complain" when you try to go neutral to 1st without stopping the input shaft.

6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

You're talking about double clutching which I remember well.

7. Bhm25

Bhm25
    from Ny

It still does not go into gear double clutching and it is the correct throw out bearing same parts went in that came out only new

8. Do you know if you have any gear oil in the tranny:????Sounds like its running dry and getting hot.trannys dont usuallly get hot

9. Bhm25

Bhm25
    from Ny

Yea there is gear oil in it . 85/90

10. Fedman

Fedman

OK, I think I did not post clearly what I was trying to say and everyone thinks I was talking about double clutching.
    I was not meaning to double clutch, what I was trying to ask was if it is in neutral "hot" can you press the clutch in and shift to 3rd gear asily with no grinding?

11. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

The first thing I would try is some heavier gear oil. When the 85-90 gets warm, it doesn't provide enough resistance to stop the clutch. If you don't drive it in the winter, you could use 140. Another old trick is to put the vehicle against something that won't move and slip the clutch in third gear to wear it in a little.

12. sounds to me the clutch needs more adjusting

13. Bhm25

Bhm25
    from Ny

It does not go into third also when it starts to grind .

I am going to try heavyer gear oil and another adjustment today thanks for the help so far keep you updated

14. Fedman

Fedman

If it will not go into 3rd when hot this sounds like it needs an adjustment on the linkage.

The oil will not do this. when letting out the clutch, is it starting to engage close to the floor, or, is it starting to engage when the clutch pedal is all the way out?

15. Bhm25

Bhm25
    from Ny

Correction it does go into third ^^

I will have to look when the pedal starts to engage i think it is near the floor

16. Fedman

Fedman

If it will go into 3rd try this.
    Put into 3rd gear, now you have stopped the input shaft, move the shifter from 3rd to 1st in 1 smooth motion.
    If it goes into 1st without grinding you probably do not have an adjustment issue, just an old loose transmission.
    If it is still grinding going into 1st trying this method and the clutch starts to engage close to the floor it is time to adjust your clutch linkage. Have you checked your Motor mounts and clutch linkage for slop and or being broken?

Bhm25 likes this.
  17. Bhm25

Bhm25
    from Ny

Well i guess the tranny is loose or messed up ... I put Heavy gear oil and it still does it and clutch is adjusted and the movement seems to be alright.

Motor mounts are tight and clutch linkage has no play or mis alignment .

18. Fedman

Fedman

Does it shift OK when you are driving it?
    Other than grinding when going into 1st?
    I am sorry but I don't want to seem to be asking simple questions, but have you ever driven a 3 speed non syncro 1st gear transmission before?
    These old cars will not drive and shift like modern day Cars.
    That is why I ask.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He hit my thoughts exactly. That car does NOT have a synchronized first gear or reverse and has to be at a dead stop before shifting into first without grinding.

The clutch should have about 1 inch of free travel at the top before you start pushing the throw out bearing against the clutch diaphragm.

I've also seen a number of clutches that hang up a bit because the installer rested the weight of the trans on the clutch disk with the splines of the input shaft just in the disk's splines a ways and end up tweaking the disk. That usually gives a bit of clutch shudder taking off too though.

Bhm25 and Fedman like this.
  20. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I had one of these transmissions in my daily driver only vehicle and all you have to do is shift into second (synchromesh) then to first, never grinds.

Edit: 12 years

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    Fedman and tb33anda3rd like this.
  21. Bhm25

Bhm25
    from Ny

Yes i have driven these before this is not a matter of some non syncro noise it will NOT go into first gear only grind even from 2nd thanks for the help

22. Fedman

Fedman

OK, that is the kind of info needed.
    If that is the case, I suspect the input shaft bushing in the crankshaft is grabbing the transmission input shaft and not allowing the shaft to stop so you can shift to 1st gear.
    When it was apart did you change the bushing or did you lubricate the bushing before installing the clutch and transmission?
    If this is the case, it must come apart to be repaired.

23. clutch in back wards?

24. Fedman

Fedman

Good thought, but he say's it works when it is cold.
    I would think if it was in backwards it would be constantly not working?

Bhm25 likes this.
  25. clunkerbob

clunkerbob
    from Arizona

Did you check that the clutch disc slides freely on the splines when you had it out ? If there is any rust , grime or binding the clutch will drag . No amount of adjusting will fix it until you pull , clean and lubricate it . Double check the pilot bushing again as was mentioned by someone .

Bhm25 likes this.
  26. Bhm25

Bhm25
    from Ny

Clutch was clearly marked and installed right way . It did fit on the shaft freely .

Unfourtunately i stupidly did not change the pilot bushing it is a needle bearing type bushing and i did put a very small amount of greace on it it looked to be in good shape . The tranny went right in with no fighting did jot have to force it on . The original problem was bent forks on the pressure plate .

27. Fedman

Fedman

Ok, I am out of ideas on this one.
    If it works cold, and then starts to screw up when it gets hot something is obviously changing.
    I really think now it has to come apart for an autopsy.
    Last idea, if you have access under the bell housing, get it hot and jack it up (Jackstands) get someone to depress the clutch and see if you can get a .125" feeler gauge between the pressure plate and the disc. If you can get the feeler gauge in there I think its in the crankshaft pilot bushing area.

clunkerbob and Bhm25 like this.
  28. clunkerbob

clunkerbob
    from Arizona

Well it sounds like you are checking everything as you go which is good , and you spun the disc on the tranny mainshaft to make sure the clutch hub isnt bent and the bearing in the trans is OK ? A pilot bushing has to really worn out to cause a problem but you have addressed that problem . What kind of clutch is it ? A rebuilt or new . I have had a few problems with rebuilt but usually they are OK . Check the linkage to make sure the holes arent worn out or flexing . I had a 53 Chevy years ago but I have forgotten how the linkage setup was now . You'll find the problem , but sometimes it gets frustrating as hell when everything is right , but it doesnt work :) The joys of being a mechanic and messing with cars .

Bhm25 likes this.
  29. clunkerbob

clunkerbob
    from Arizona

At times like these sometimes you need to take a break , have a smoke or drink a beer and think about it for a bit . I've wrenched all my life , but I've had times I was at a dead end and somebody else looked at it and spotted the problem right away . It happens .....we get brain dead and tunnel vision after a bit .

30. Bhm25

Bhm25
    from Ny

It was a new brand new clutch and plate forget the brand

Thanks again for the help and ideas will let you know what it is . It is frustrating lol

A side note sometimes in the past it did pop out of first gear on its own .