Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cooling the flathead

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bob metke, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Bob metke

Bob metke

image.jpg The radiator top tank outlets are a smaller diameter than the bottom inlets.Would larger thermostat housings improve flow as well as removing the small portion of the top inlets?(see pic) Also I figured out how to use stock gen bracket and small alt.Cheap and easy!

2. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

cooling the engine involves keeping the coolant in the block long enough to remove heat.

3. Bob metke

Bob metke

That pulley is a stock gen pulley I cut down with a hole saw.It fits the alt shaft exactly.

4. clunkerbob

clunkerbob
    from Arizona

Possibly , but there are other things I'd check out first if you are having a hot running problem . Are you just wondering , or is it actually running too hot and overheating . Give us some more details . The alternator setup looks good and a nice upgrade .

5. Keep your stock outlets. If you are not yet having a cooling problem don't go looking for one. If you get it running and it doesn't cool come back and we will rip your build part and find you an answer in the process. ;)

6. Do you have a shroud, and what fan are you using?

7. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Those are more than large enough to cool the motor. If it's hot ( and the radiator is good) the first thing I'd look at would be ignition timing.

8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I agree. Don't change those outlets. I have never run thermostats in any of my flatheads. A good upgrade would be high volume pumps and a 4 pound pressurized system.

9. youngrodder1929

youngrodder1929

not enough timing

10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The stock 8BA thermostat housings were more than adequate to allow for sufficient water flow for cooling. Leave them alone. Check your timing.

11. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I was enlightened today by Cornhuskers Rod shop that the 59a radiator setup had the larger radiator inlets and the 8ba had the smaller 1 1/4" inlet. Looks like a early radiator was converted at one time to be used with 8ba heads? Looks like you have the later flathead looking at the intake. Like others mentioned, I would leave the inlets alone and look at timing. Does the core flow well?

12. Bob metke

Bob metke

I was just late night speculating,no problems yet.Thanx to all!

13. 1pickup

1pickup

flathead cooling? impossible!

14. Bob metke

Bob metke

One more thing,the depth of the cap.The depth is 1 3/4" to the sealing point at the bottom of the filler(where the cap would seal).The cap on it was flush with the cap.No way it ever sealed anything.I will take pic tomorrow.I have no idea where to get the right cap

15. Bob metke

Bob metke

The right one was on the truck,the left one is an inch too shallow image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

16. Pressure caps were not used in early days,,Thats why you cant find one with the depth your looking for

17. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

when i had my radiator recored, i had a modern neck installed. it's a bit deeper than the old one and allows use of an expansion tank. must use the proper cap with it!

18. Bob metke

Bob metke

Thanx,I am looking for the right cap.

19. clem

clem

I've learn't something. I've always thought that the top pipes in the radiator were inlets and the bottom were outlets. Now I'm not sure which way the hot water flows......

20. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

dan c. said: "cooling the engine involves keeping the coolant in the block long enough to remove heat."
    It amazes me that even today people actually believe this. One of the main requirements of a good cooling system is to have high flow rates through the engine as this promotes turbulent water flow and turbulence is required to promote the best extraction of heat from an engine. A flat head has several problems, one is the exhaust is channeled through the block , this is something that you have to accept unless you want to spend lots of money, the other is poor water pumps, even some of the new "high performance" pumps are not very good. The higher the flow rate the better the cooling.
    Rex

29AVEE8 likes this.