Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest A Visit to Kindigit Designs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raprap, Aug 24, 2015.

1. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Last week, I visited my sons out in Salt Lake City. All are fine. Before leaving, I called Kindigit Designs and asked if they had a tour at their facility. They did on Friday so my son and I went Friday Morning. Their garage started small but is now a pretty nice space. Dave Kindig was at Pleasanton Goodguys but their shop foreman Steve gave us the tour. They have a very nice place, extremely clean and took us through the showroom, body shop, fab shop and their storage garage. They answered all the questions I asked and said that their second season will be airing soon.
    I saw the wall where Dave does all his renderings and they also have a wall full on hand made sections for 1932 roadsters. Fenders, hoods, cowls rear quarters. Sorry I was so involved in looking around and listening, I did not get photos of everything. I also thought that constantly snapping pictures of every inch was not appropriate. They did not hide anything but I'm sure some customers would like to keep their toys to them selves. Here are a few thing we saw. Oh, yes, the 1934 Dodge sedan was there as was the Futureliner they built. Steve did tell us that their "average"
    cost for a paint job was about $20K and their average cost for a car build was $300-400K. Steve also said that they had a 26 month back log of work. I guess the customer base is alive and kicking!! He said that after their show first aired, their work load increased by 200%. I guess advertising does pay.

IMG_6668.JPG IMG_6669.JPG IMG_6670.JPG IMG_6671.JPG IMG_6672.JPG IMG_6673.JPG

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    kiwijeff, Hotrodmyk and Joe Twitchell like this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks - lots of skill available for those with lots of $$

Joe Twitchell likes this.
  3. butch27

butch27

One of the BEST shows on TV.

4. Looks to me like they do top shelf work for those who can afford it - and with a minimum of drama. A few of the hot rod and restoration shows are really interesting, the rest just seem to play to the drama queens. Something for everybody, I guess.

B Bay Barn likes this.

5. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

That's what I heard too. Excellent folks, no drama crap. Great shop.

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

The show is getting better IMO, and no question that they do really fantastic work. They do turn out a nice car. Someone on another forum said they contacted them to do a complete rebuild on a car and they said their rates start at $200,000 and there is a two year waiting list. If you want that level of workmanship you have to be ready to pay for it.

Dave seems like a nice guy too, and they have toned down some of the silliness on the show so it is more enjoyable to watch. (I found Kevin a little annoying in the beginning, but he is acting more mature these days)

Don

Dean Lowe and B Bay Barn like this.
  7. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

When I was there, all of their custom builds have Kindigit custom flush door handles. They are for sale there and on line. I went home and looked them up. Only $695/pair. Chrome, brushed or paintable. I'll stay with what I have.

8. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Quality does have a price doesn't it! I'm with ya raprap I'll keep what I have heck I have too! Joe

9. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I'll take two pair if they're traditional....

10. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Here's what the door handles look like.

door handles.jpg

11. cptn60

cptn60
    from Joke City

Attached Files:

blue57ford likes this.
  12. Phil1934

Phil1934

For 1/4 the price at that auction site '69-'72 Grand Prix[​IMG]

13. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Nice, I like those!

14. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I think their designs are tasteful and build quality are top notch. Dave seems really down to earth which is refreshing when it comes to the usual kooks in the drama build shows. My favorite of all the car shows. I recently watched the 34 Dodge show and started to really wonder what their builds cost when they stated (IIRC) 4 body men spent 6 weeks labor doing body and paint. Beautiful work.

15. Thanks for sharing! Currently going to school for Industrial Design so watching Dave on T.V. is an inspiration to me. Top notch work!

16. Talented guys. Just can't figure a $300-$400 ride. Guess it's to impress the guys that only wrote a check for $200-300. Oh well, it's only money and it's not mine.

17. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Mitchell,

Good luck with your Industrial Design classes. I too am an Industrial Designer. I've been applying my education all the time. It's a great background to everything that your life will throw at you. Good luck!
    Kindigit is a very nice shop. Lots of young folks but very professional and nice. Good to see a shop like this.

18. Kevin is very annoying. Hopefully it's just put on for the show. And wearing his cap over his ears makes him look like the village idiot.

da34guy likes this.
  19. Ha. I only watch it to see if they ever show Elmer's badass shit. AKA LoudPedal baby. Maybe HAMB is too sinister to showcase on boobtube .... I dunno'......as well employee garages don't count either. Regardless ... Kindig is Elmer Equipped. Long live the Green Grenade.

da34guy likes this.
  20. roughneck424

roughneck424

Caps over the ears is one of the latest fashion statements. Dad put with my long hair back when. Guess I will just go with the flow. Could be worse.

21. Thanks man! Sorry to stray off topic but may I ask where you went to school and what the field is like now-a-days? I am going into Second year at Humber College in September and I'm hoping to take Automotive Design in 3rd and 4th year.

22. Sheeez .... ya' got us all eavesdropping like a bunch of squeelly girls bud. Conversation button ^ upper right is your friend ... looks like an envelope. Anyhoo' .... back to backslappin' and fartin' boys !!! Somebody pull my finger !

23. Sorry @kidcampbell71 I did end up sending a P.M. as well (not very tech savvy:confused:). Sorry about the whole thread-high-jacking. Back to the normal conversation:cool:

24. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

He's good. Cut the dude some slack. He's a newbe.