Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Brake Help Wanted Chevy 1929

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Carl Jörns, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Carl Jörns

Carl Jörns

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439402950.995332.jpg

I need NEW brake pads for all 4 wheels and a new sealing for the rear axle.
    Any tipps? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439403169.951408.jpg

2. Gary Wallace for the seals- may have to buy brake material and have a local (truck) brake shop do it. I'm in the process of doing my '22 Chevrolet brakes and "Green Gripper" was recommended highly!

302GMC and Carl Jörns like this.
  3. NORSON

NORSON

Carl
    I've had these for quite a while. The inner for the rear might be the same, but the rest while it is Chevrolet, must be for another year. Mac is correct about the "friction material". In the old days they stocked the material in rolls of different widths and thicknesses. Wards and Sears would sell the material too, along with the rivets and the riveting tool. Almost every shop had a "brake" machine and they could do clutch discs too. I would guess they have suppliers in your neck of the woods that can supply you , but if not I could probably find the stuff for you. The smaller inner bands are 1 1/4 inch wide and have new material. They will only cost freight. I have one other rear band that is wider but without lining.
    Norm
    P8120081.JPG

4. NORSON

NORSON

Carl
    Called a old Chev parts outfit in my local area. The Filling Station in Lebanon Oregon. They DO NOT sell the material but do reline your brakes. It doesn't sound like that will work for you. Give me some idea where you are (I'm thinking Germany?). If you want I'll see If I can find another supplier. Back in '60 - '61 I worked at a clutch rebuilder and we also relined brake bands and other friction faced "stuff". It ain't all that tuff. Portland had at least six suppliers at that time, BUT that was over 50 years ago!!!
    Norm

volvobrynk likes this.

5. Carl Jörns

Carl Jörns

Hi Norson, Hi Mac, thanks a lot for your help.
    I found a compnay who reline brakes with raw material and cut it to fit. Over here in Deutschland.
    I will try them today.
    My online-research was like yours, too: no one sells them any more :-(
    -------
    And yes, I'm from Germany.
    Whenever you are over here ----> you are invited!

6. Where in Germany? My mother is from Kiel

7. Carl Jörns

Carl Jörns

Motorcity Rüsselsheim. In the middle of Deutschland.
    600 Km from Kiel.
    Kiel is absolutley in the North.
    Today I disassembled the brakes. Tomorrow I will bring the brakes to the shop that will reline them for me!

8. Carl Jörns

Carl Jörns

9. NORSON

NORSON

Glad to hear you found a source. Looks like my small rear inners were the same. Freight would have cost a ton. Again, glad to hear you got it handled.
    Norm

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    Carl Jörns likes this.
  10. Carl Jörns

Carl Jörns

The god thing: Because of all the Oil from the rear axel_ all screws were easy to turn! :)

The bad thing: I need new seals for the rear-end, too. :(

11. NORSON

NORSON

Carl
    I called "The filling Station" in Labanon, Oregon Zip code 97355-3227 Phone number (541) 258-2114.
    They have your seals in stock. They are available as just the felt rings (AF370) for $6.50 or as a kit, which includes the felt rings AND what they call the housings (AF370K) for $109.50. They said they will ship internationally.
    Norm

shivasdad likes this.
  12. Carl Jörns

Carl Jörns

Thanks! I try to get something over here - and then I will come back to your advice.

13. Carl Jörns

Carl Jörns

14. Carl Jörns

Carl Jörns

I ordered the felt rings.
    And I sended following question:
    "I ordered two felt seals for my 1929 Chevy Rear Axle.
    REAR AXLE SEAL OUTER Felt - use with Old Housing
    # AF-370
    I added a picture of the housing on my axle. Can you tell me if this is the "new" or the "old" housing and if the ordered seal will fit?"

Now I'm looking forward to a message from the Filling Station.
    Perhaps if someone over here is able to help - is this the old or the new housing?
    And has anyone ever did convert his rear axle to a modern shaft seal?

Attached Files:

15. NORSON

NORSON

Carl
    To me your "housings" look great and I would reuse them, but I've never had one apart, so what do I know.
    Norm

Carl Jörns likes this.
  16. Carl Jörns

Carl Jörns

Today my felt seals arrived.
    6.50 $ each + shipping = 60.00 $ ...
    :(

Living in Deutschland sucks ...
    Perhaps for the next parts I need someone from you hokey asses who would be so cool, to collect some stuff for me in the US and send it to me, when it's enough and the fright cost is not 500% of the parts value?

THIS WOULD BE A BIG HELP!

Bild 80.png

17. von Dyck

von Dyck

How difficult would it be to make your own seals? You have the seal retainers - you just require the seal material. Use your imagination. Your axles/hubs will hardly reach 500RPM (legally). Thick felt and or leather is not that difficult to obtain. I have made oil seals out of the leather from discarded, worn out welding gloves (the gauntlet portion). To make the internal round sealing area, sharpen a short piece of steel tubing on one end in a lathe, then press it in the leather to make a nice round hole. Make it slightly smaller than the shaft it will be sealing on.
    Oh, by the way, one of America's prominent seal companies was named "Chicago Rawhide"!;)

Carl Jörns likes this.
  18. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Hi Carl, I just re-lined my '28 Chevy rear brakes, got the material special order from a local firm, they're a bit stiffer than the originals but work well.

To cure the oil leak problem I replaced the bearings with sealed ones, I put a modern seal behind them to fit the axle shaft, and only used the felt seal to keep dust out. With this set up a breather is needed in the rear end tube.

I have the bearing numbers somewhere if you should decide to do this, they have extra clearance to allow for the double press fit in the housing and on the axle.

Bernard

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    Carl Jörns likes this.
  19. Good tip von Dyck! I have made acc. pump seals from boot leather that have worked out fine.

Carl Jörns likes this.
  20. Carl Jörns

Carl Jörns

The brakes are back from the shop and they are fine! Thanks for the tipps!
    BEFORE:
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439492717.308881.jpg

AFTER:
    Foto.JPG
    Foxto.JPG

21. Carl Jörns

Carl Jörns

That was also my idea. But I was not shure if the material arrives early enough. I must be readdy next week for TechSafteyInspection ...
    But now arrived the two holetools (I don't know the correct word) and the felt material - I had to take a minimum ... So I can produce now hundreads of seals and change them every week!!!
    Yeah!:)

Bild 90.png

Bild 91.png Bild 92.png

22. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Unless a 29 is different to a 28, I'm sure you're aware of the inner felt seals behind the bearing that will usually need replacing as well.
    The bearings are grease lubed via a fitting behind the axle tube, the outer felt seals usually only have to deal with this grease.
    The diff gear oil should be separated from the bearing by the inner seal, which can wear and allow oil to enter the bearing, and as there is no breather, hot and cold cycling pressure can force the oil into the brake drum.

Bernard

Carl Jörns likes this.
  23. Carl Jörns

Carl Jörns

That's correct. I know about this. But I have a TechSafteyInspection next week. For this I need to fix it quick. It must stand 4 miles to the inspection and afterwards I will have time to repair also the inner seal without hurry.
    I will buy some sealed bearings and install them also to replace the old open bearings.

24. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Understood, good luck with the TSI.

25. Carl Jörns

Carl Jörns

Sir, yes Sir! ;-)